1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

That’s not the point. We did get the good young player. The deal was good — trading Allen for peanuts wasn’t.

2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I understand that but we didn't even get someone who could've had a chance of being good. Like at least get someone young with a chance.

3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It was basically a 3 way deal. Allen never set foot in our facility. He was never a Rocket.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Again, we COULD have kept him. Why we traded him away, I'll never know.

But things have actually worked out -- we probably don't draft Sengun if we kept Allen, and the pick we got from the Bucks' eventually (through other trades) became Cam Whitmore.

saleem and justinh like this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The risk for us was too big to get a good player. We had to be the worst team in the league above all else

6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It's obvious why we traded him. The FO still wanted to make a run with Wood and Wall and obviously our scouting department didn't watch the 30ish games Oladipo played since returning from his injury where he was obviously done and just waiting to retire. It was gross really. They were even trying to get us hyped with that WOW combo bullshit before we started losing everything.

Nook likes this.
  7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

They went for Oladipo bro. If that's what you wanted just send Allen straight to Cleveland for Levert and the 1st which is what they gave the Pacers. They wanted Oladipo cause they thought they could still make a run.

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Did you not see my post calling Stone an idiot for thinking about this? No I wouldnt.

Believe It! and cml750 like this.
  9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

So you trade Green for Bridges and then what? Are the Rockets contenders? Are the Rockets better than the top teams in the East and the West?

10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don’t doubt Jalen is being talked about but I take anything Kelly Imo has to say involving Green with a grain of salt. His reports involving Green are never positive . The main headline of his athletic piece is said that nobody is untouchable and then you ready the article and everybody is untouchable except Green.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

His most recent report was collaborated with Shams who is obviously legitimate. So it wasn't just him

12. Nook

Nook Member

Kelly Iko gets his information from the team. He is actually fed stuff from the front office.

When McMahon reports something on the Rockets he gets it from ownership.

saleem, Deuce, SamFisher and 2 others like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

He then provides the same value and brings a lot of the same intangibles you just spent a boatload of money for this past summer. He's also been the leagues most durable player since he's been drafted. Next season, there shouldn't really be a question about the rockets being a play in team if these young core of the rockets continues to improve. You have the choice of keeping him for the full 2 years remaining while providing that value to this team of babies. Or that 2nd year when he becomes a nice expiring, you extract value from that depending on how these kids look in 2 years and who is still around.

In no way are the rockets handcuffed by getting a 27 year old Bridges. He isn't some old declining long term multi year super max situation. There's plenty of options and plenty of reasons why Bridges is good for the Rockets

#313 YOLO, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  14. Nook

Nook Member

"Dream target"...

Maybe Stone should dream a little deeper.

Bridges is a good player, but if you are going to dream - set your standards higher.

15. cml750

cml750 Member

No Bridges does not make them a contender but is a big upgrade from normal Jalen on both ends of the court and it would likely get us to the play-in. Newsflash, they are not going to get anyone capable of making them contenders from trading Jalen alone. Bridges is not worth adding picks and Jalen is not worth a straight one for one trade for Bridges. We will either be stuck with Jalen or overpay to get Bridges with picks. Regardless, becoming contenders will likely come from internal growth from Sengun, Bari, Cam, Tari, and Amen.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets don't want to end up good but not good enough to win it all and be without assets.

Having said that, Bridges is a vastly better player than Green and when it comes to actual wins - he probably always will be unless Green drops 25+ a night and keeps getting 7-8 rebounds a game and defends better. It is just how it is - because Green is a scorer, and when that is what you do - you better be really efficient at it and you better handle a large volume. The days of simply scoring are largely gone at this point.

Deuce, OremLK and cml750 like this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Couldn't agree more. Bridges helps us get to the playoffs the next few years, but we'll probably get bounced in the first round because the rest of our core is so young, and then what? He'll be an unrestricted free agent hunting a max contract to cover the waning years of his career at age 30-34, as a guy who even in his prime is really more of a #3 option on true contender.

I would take him if the price was right, but if I'm going to shove all my chips in, I want somebody a lot better than Bridges. And preferably younger.

18. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

At his age, there’s not much ceiling left. He is what he is. A very good complimentary piece. Jalen is 21 and yet to reach his ceiling. He has a real coach for the first time in his career. People are so impatient. I don’t mind trading him for a real star, but not Bridges. And I’m ok with seeing what he becomes as well.

mikol13 likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

FVV took a short deal

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why is Bridges so overrated?