1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston number 8 in NBA fans, SA number one, Boston last

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewYorker, Sep 15, 2007.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Who would have thunk it. 14% of Houstonians identify themselves as avid NBA fans....ahead of Utah and Dallas.

Shockingly, Boston is dead last at 6% for cities with an NBA franchise. That's behind Oklahoma city, Mobile, Toledo, and Orlando.

http://www.nba.com/media/kings/NBA_Final1.pdf

2. ImG

ImG Member

pretty interesting, always thought of boston as a fanatic city with those fans that are always hard on their home team.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The definition of "diehard fan" in Houston and Boston is night and day.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

56% of avid WNBA fans are female? What?

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Boston dead last? That's what decades of mediocrity and suckitude will do for what used to be the proudest franchise in the league.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

its not too surprising SA has such a high number. This city has 3 championships and no competition from other sports.

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I'm not surprised that the high cities are ones where the NBA is the only game in town or have high black populations (hey, my people love them some pro b-ball).

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Word.. I understand its Red Sox territory, but sports fans in Boston are much more "die hard" in general than sports fans in Houston.

Houston has more "bandwagon" fans.. (Think 2005 World Series)

9. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I'm sure that fans in Boston and Houston will more apreciatte their clubs as soon as we/they do something :D

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Something that surprised me in that report is that 38% of avid NBA fans are female.

Represent! ;)

and I am shocked that 8% of the people in Lexington KY said they were avid fans. I never saw an NBA jersey on a kid in Lexington... only UK.

Cool study though. Thanks for sharing it.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not suprised about Boston... given the success of Red Sox and Patriots and the failure of the Celtics.

And no offense to our Caucasian brothers and sisters, but my impression is Boston has a high % of white residents, and my impression is there is a relatively smaller % of NBA fans among white people.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

About half of these folks are girls with big crushes on Chuck Hayes due to his massive legs and muscular and large glutes.

13. jennmlj

jennmlj Member

Yep! ;)

14. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

you forgot a championship, they have 4.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Actually I am surprised that more UK fans don't follow the NBA. Until last year, UK had the most alumni playing in the NBA. Heck, when I went to the Detroit game last season, I shocked people by wearing a UK shirt *my Hayes jersey didn't arrive in time* and explained to the Pistons fans around me that there were four people on the two rosters that graduated from UK. Scott Padgett was still with us then, Chuck was hurt, Tayshaun of course, and Nazi Mohammed.

Though to be honest, until Tayshaun joined the Pistons I paid no attention what so ever to the NBA. So maybe it is just people following their favorite UK players into the NBA.

16. First Lady

First Lady Member

My favorite UH alum is playing for the Cavs. :rolleyes:

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This article is a bunch of b.s. San Antonio was high on the charts because they don't have any other professional sports in town. I'm surprised that Houston fans are anywhere near the top. The Texans and Astros compete with a lot of hearts. Same story in Boston.

Article = Lame (to my mind)

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Last night i watched Game 5 of the Jazz/Rockets series and I noticed how empty the arena looked (in the beginning) :eek: . For a Game 5 playoff game with the series tied up, you could look in the crowd and probably think we were playing the Hawks or something. Yeah you saw a sea of red........a sea of red SEATS. Hopefully, next year we can actually get people in their seats for the playoffs.

19. conquistador#11

3 is correct, other things were going on in the world; thus no championship was ever played in 1999. :p
    [​IMG]

not surprised that the spurs are no. 1 in SA, only because there is nothing else to do in that town. SA sportstalk is 70 spurs/30%cowboys, the SA EXpress covers them more than the actual news.(it seems like it)

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

And where are these 38% at? The only girls I've found are myspace heads with MTV brains. If I find a chick that loves the Rockets just as much as I do, I'd handcuff her.