1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Houston MLS team to be Houston 1836

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by amfootball, Jan 24, 2006.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Earthquakes was actually the name of San Jose's team back in the 1960's in the old NASL and some other pro leagues through the early 1980's.

The target audience of the team is THE CITY OF HOUSTON! What kind of marketing genious would center his efforts on one population? Do the Astros, Rockets, and Texans only market to white people? This has got to be the worst argument against the name, period.

Putting an important date in a team name is a tradition for many European teams, especially in Germany. It think it is a great name. I voted for it. I'm tired of the stupid nicknames teams get nowadays. FC _______ is already taken by FC Dallas. They weren't going to have 2 of them in the same state. Who cares what the mascot is? Do you follow a team because of a freaking mascot? I've yet to see the first JJOF (Junction Jack Only Fan) or the TOF (Toro Only Fan).

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The little Sam Houston thingie on the top reminds me of the picture I TOOK in the fourth-to-the-last day of the year last year:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, you may use it for your desktop image.

#42 SwoLy-D, Jan 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  3. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I found the logo:

[​IMG]

Sorry its so small......

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Nice, I can't wait to hear it at the games.

5. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

frankly, i think the name is cool. Away with the generic FC and REAL, reserve that for the real football teams in europe.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

7. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I love the name of the team. It's very traditional. The logo however, could of been more traditional to match the name. It' s not bad though.

8. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I like it, but the logo could be better. Thank God they didn't put REAL in there. MLS messed up by trying to imitate European clubs by using terms like that. They need to establish their own history and identity rather than live off europe's rich tradition.

I am not an MLS fan but will start becoming one and will attend some games. The league has improved alot since it first started (hard to believe it's been 10 years!).

Anyone know if they will have any kind of tryouts to find local talent? There are some amazing players in the Houston area that I believe could play in the MLS (sadly, it's all about who you know, and not how skilled you are!)

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Classic!

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

NICE. I will give you credit, brother. Can I modify it to chant any other team's name in there instead of Sucky Dallas?
    "One-Eight-Three-Six, [other_team] [can]suck our d*cks!"

Testing... 1, 2,... testing:
    "One-Eight-Three-Six, Chivas, Chivas, suck our d*cks!" :D

#50 SwoLy-D, Jan 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I coined the term "Juicebox" for MMP the day it was renamed and said it on Sports 610, yet no credit for me, either. Bastards.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, I used Dallas as an example, because hating Dallas is pretty much a birth right in Houston. You can easily substitute any team name in there...

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Actually, Real Madrid formed a partnership with Real Salt Lake and the MLS, hence the name. I get your point, though.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i like it a lot. beats the hell out of some stupid mascot name like the toros or something. we're watching a sports team, not a cartoon.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That name is gay...

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Who does Houston hire to make these big decisions? I bet it's the same people who came up w/ the dildo logo for the Rockets.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

San Jose's MLS team originally was called the Clash. And then all of a sudden changed it to Earthquakes.

I didn't even know about that, and was wondering who the Earthquakes were.

18. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

36ERS of course (ie 49ERS)

19. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

20. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Who knows the logo might not be up to par, but real question is the jerseys. I like the color scheme it reminds me of the early ninties astros scheme. Who knows the jersey might actually look good. Im ready for some football.