1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Marathon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fredy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

This will be my first time running it and my goal will be to finish it before 4 hours.

Are there any other clutchfans doing it or done it before?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

doing my first half marathon sunday.

i just put in my last training run last night... 9 miles

i hope the weather holds out

3. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Doing my first full marathon on Sunday after many years of the half marathon.

4. fredy

As long as it doesn't rain then it wont bother me. So far I'm looking at forecasts and it'll be sunny.

5. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

Ran my first on in last year's marathon.

Was a total blast....until Memorial Park.

All I can say is save some for the last 5 or 6 miles!!

6. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Fourth year running the half. I ran several fulls a long time ago, back before they had running shoes errrrr I mean when the course was two loops. :eek:

For you first timers, take it easy for the first 18, if you have gas in the tank after that you can kick ass for the last 8. It is a lot more fun being the passer than the passee. :cool:

Weather looks like it will be good. :)

7. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

Running my first full on Sunday. Really looking forward to it.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Question for the marathon veterans (I've never ran one) ...

My girlfriend decided she wants to try to run the half-marathon next year, so I'm going to train with her and run as well. For the non-competitive runners, how often/how much do you take breaks and walk? I workout regularly and do some running, but she's just getting into shape and basically starting from scratch.

9. DonnyMost

My plan is going to be 3-4 miles then a .5-1 mile walk the entire way...

When I hit mile 8-9, I may gas it the rest of the way though.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Gf is doing the kid's fun run with her daughter. I'll be at home in bed.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's a pretty fast time considering it is your first marathon.

I'll be doing it and it'll be my 6th marathon. Only advice that I have is to make sure you have enough in the tank to finish. "Hitting the wall" is real and the last 6-8 miles can be extremely difficult if you burn too much in the beginning.

Also, make sure you eat! I didn't eat during my first couple marathons because I thought I didn't need it. But I've been eating the last couple marathons (Gu, Cliff Bars, and oranges/bananas along the way) and it helps so much. Just like a car, you have to re-fuel your body to keep it moving.

12. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Currently signed up for a 10K in February, ING Georgia half marathon in March, and the Warrior Dash in May. I run quite a few 5Ks and 10Ks, but this will be my first half marathon.

13. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

i've been wondering about this. are you carrying the food on your person? i can't imagine running with cliff bars in my pocket and swaying back and forth and messing up my stride.

are there stations where you can get them? are you stopping at gas stations along the route and going in to buy snacks (carrying a single credit card and license in your pocket throughout the race)??

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I have RaceReady running shorts that have small pockets along the waistline that I put them in but a lot of stores sell running shorts with multiple pockets to store stuff. I recommend Gu over Cliff Bars though, smaller to store and easier to eat along the way.

There will also be stations with food along the way. You probably won't see them until later in on the race but they'll typically have bananas, oranges, pretzels, cookies, etc...So if you don't want to bring food yourself, you can grab food at the stations.

15. fredy

Thanks for the advice. That's what I was hoping to get out the thread. I'm hoping the wall doesn't hit me hard, but if it does I'll for sure do it next year.

16. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

If you are into things like the Warrior Dash, you should check out the Hash House Harriers. There are chapters worldwide - all drinkers with a running problem. :grin:

17. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Wow, I just checked out the website to my local chapter. Probably a little bit too hardcore for me in its emphasis on beer. Interesting, though.

I do like these kinds of non-traditional athletic events, like Warrior Dash, Muddy Buddy, and Great Urban Race. Just some variety from the typical running or biking events.

18. DonnyMost

2:30:21

hit my goal time almost right on the money

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Congrats Man! Moving for 2 and a Half hours straight is an accomplishment in and of itself :D

Rocket River

20. DonnyMost

It was my first time, so I was only trying to hit the "average" mark. And I only missed it by 21 seconds :grin:

THanks!