1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston looking to buy way into draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yao#1, Apr 20, 2009.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

5 bucks, take it or leave it.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Just confirmed this with Morey... most likely looking to move into the "25-45" range because that is "usually the only place teams are willing to sell and we would still have a chance of finding a decent player (even though the odds are long)."

3. worzel gummidge

Patty Mills, potential Jazz killer. Deron Williams could only foul him in the two games they played in China (USA v Australia).

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Morey = Best GM in the league.

I have faith in whatever this guy decides to do.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

James White is next years draft choice.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thats pretty much what i said earlier. I would also look at phoenix who might sell as well as okc,portland, and denver. If you want a pick in the middle, you can get a pick.

7. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

Are you part of the front office personnel or something?

This only makes sense if they already have some guys in mind, can they even communicate with potential candidates during the playoffs? What about scout them?

8. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I think Phoenix would be a high target as far as buying a pick goes. If I remember correctly, the pick they sold to Portland that landed Fernandez was right before our pick which we used to draft Brooks.

From what I remember, Fernandez was the guy we targeted. Phoenix liked Brooks and felt they could draft him with another pick they had later in the first round. So when they sold Portland the pick and Fernandez was drafted, we picked up Brooks which killed them since they ended up with Alando Tucker and three million bucks for their two first round picks.

All in all it worked out pretty good. Its crazy to think though, if Portland hadnt messed up our plans we could have Roy and Fernandez instead of Brooks and Battier.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Just confirmed? Do you have the inside information or just joking around here? I like to know. I hope that we can get the 20-25 range too because we have a better chance to find a better player, plus that the team would win the first round, and Les is willing to spend more since he is going to earn more from the playoff run in this year.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm a reporter (see signature); I asked him.

My personal belief is that Morey's "25-45" range might be expanded closer to 15 or 20 this year, given the economic situation, but I don't have anything to back that up. I asked if the economy and rumors of certain franchises needing firesales could make it easier to get a pick (and likely a higher one), but he said he didn't know yet. Obviously the economy is a fluid situation and it's hard to nail down the specifics of teams' situations two months in advance. Still, my guess is that it's much easier this year than any other year, especially with a perceived mediocre draft class on top of all the economic stuff.

11. SeeingRocketRed

Whatever Morey says goes.

I'm thinking that a young athletic 7 footer that can defend would be nice, and maybe a lanky 215 pound 6 ft 8in guy so we can battle the Lakers' tall lineup. Like a T-Mac, but with heart, grit, defensive mindset, and everyday intensity. With Bynum Gasol, Odom, Ariza, Kobe, etc, the Lakers are very tall and tough to match up with. Even Mt. Mutumbo may retire one day.

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Even though the draft is weak this year, there are some decent players who could turn out to be great between 15 and 25:

15-DeJuan Blair(though he might be undersized is a baby shaq)
    17-Jeff Teague(he had some great games this year and shoots 44% from beyond the arc)(lol at how he is predicted to become on draftexpress; Best Case: Better shooting Monta Ellis, Worst Case: Aaron Brooks - great to know Teague's worst case scenario is a starting PG job on a contending team!)
    21-Jrue Holiday(he didn't turn out to be the great college player my friends at UCLA predicted, but I think that with some time and work he can be solid)
    25-Sam Young(my personal favourite, he is long and I think can become great)

Of course it all depends on what the team is looking for, and I don't think we will find anything that can make us contenders in this draft. Best case scenario for the Rockets: Draft and Trade after Camp a la Donte Greene.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Lee I agree. Its looking like the rockets could move just about anywhere in this draft depending on how much the rockets value a certain player and what team is hurting from a financial standpoint.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Maybe we can snag Minnesota's 18th pick. They have three 1st round picks, including a likely top 5. How much more youth do they need? They're a small market team, so they could use all the financial relief they can get.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Sounds good, if we can get somewhere from the 20-25th pick, that would be awesome, and any early second round picks are also great. Though, with the money we have, I don't know if we will be able to get one of those picks.

16. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

Exactly. Les is perfectly willing to spend money out of pocket (buy a pick), but the luxury tax, in addition to paying double the amount you are over, deprives you of all of the money from the teams who do pay it.

17. Vivid

Vivid Member

Looking at how much a premium their is on having an elite pg in the NBA... I would go for bust for Ricky Rubio. Smart defender and a magician on the offensive end... I would try to package something big. I would try Tmac, Brooks and a future pick for the Clipper's pick, Zack Randolph, and DeAndre Jordan. They would get out of Z-Bo's contract in time for 2010. They get a speedy pg to be groomed under Davis. They probably shouldn't but that doesn't mean they won't.

Yao/Jordan
    Scola/Landry/Randolph
    Battier/MLE
    Artest/Wafer
    Rubio/Lowry

-V

18. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Somewhere even the Clippers GM is laughing his ass off.

19. diegot143

diegot143 Member

pay up 100 million for the first pick :cool:

20. ibm

ibm Member

les is never cheap. he's never been shy of signing big guns. he just has his own principle of not getting over the lux tax line.