1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Lonestars - Australian Rules Football Team

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Houstonfooty, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Houstonfooty

Houstonfooty Member

Hi,

We are currently on a recruitment drive for the US Nationals taking place in Austin in October 2011. Teams from cities throughout the US and Canada will be competing for the titles of their respective divisions. This will be Houston inaugural Championship and we are looking to make a big impact.

Already this season, we have a win under our belt (beating Baton Rouge), so we are looking to build on this success and grow the pool of players.

As the poster mentions, everyone is welcome, regardless of experience. Once you register on houstonfooty.com you will receive notification of practice and upcoming games.

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Houston Footy.

2. YaosDirtyStache

Is this the same as rugby? Because rugby is gay.

Is this the same as handegg? Bc handegg rocks.

3. Houstonfooty

Houstonfooty Member

There are some similarities to rugby (mostly the shape of the ball), but not that many tbh. It's deff not easy to explain but it is kind of a mixture of soccer, rugby, basketball, American football all put together. Although I have never played it, some people have mentioned similarities to Ultimate Frisbee.

It is played on an oval (aka a cricket pitch) field, with 18-a-side.

This is a decent video highlighting the main skills involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-PFRrJQtew

4. luisantonio1014

Is it like those AFL games that sometimes come on late at night on ESPN? You score by getting the ball between two posts or kicking it like field goals?

5. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

That is the one. There are 4 posts at each end. Kick it between the middle 2 for 6 points (goal). If it goes through the outer posts you get 1 point (behind)

Is played with 22 in the team with 18 taking the field at any time. Also played with no pads.

6. Christopher

Christopher Member

afl is a crap sport. Dont even bother.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Your mom wishes she was gay!

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The AFL umps crack my ass :grin:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/civKdIgEC6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or for the true basketball fans ...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/euB19_MFOMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

Houstonfooty - good to see footy is up and running in Houston! I am a 4 game veteran of the Dallas Outlaws (now Magpies). When I lived in Houston there was no team, so I had to drive up to Dallas to play.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have some friends who play with the Minnesota Freeze Aussie rules team. I've seen the game played here and in Asia and it looks like a lot of fun. If I was in Houston would come out and check out the games.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This dude is spamming everywhere.

Are you the same guy calling every sports talk show saying that this will be bigger and eclipse mls?

12. Houstonfooty

Houstonfooty Member

Kam,

Definitely not us. AFL is very much an amateur sport here in the US and we play for a bit of fun and exercise. We have no illusions of grandeur. In a year of existence we haven't even found a field big enough for us to host games at..

We posted here to let people know there was a Houston team and to try and get a few more bodies out each week as we try and build a team to compete in the Tx/La area.

Cheers

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

More importantly, how is the groupie scene surrounding the team?

14. TISNF

TISNF Member

Great sport. I love watching it late at night on ESPN2. You should go after graduating punters/kickers who won't make it to the NFL.

There's one guy in particular in Florida who I think would be GREAT with AF (not just a good kicker, but intense and fierce and not afraid to make tackle).

15. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone else having a problem with the name Houston Lonestars?

16. Houstonfooty

Houstonfooty Member

Colt45,

We anticipate a name change in the near future. Right now we are working on securing an affiliation with one of the professional clubs back in Australia. Should this happen we would take their name, similar to other US teams (Austin Crows, Dallas Magpies, Denver Bulldogs).

To get an idea of the cities in the US that have teams, check out http://www.usafl.com/findateam

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On a related sport. Is there a Gaelic football league in Houston? Watched it while in Ireland and there is a league here in MN. Its sort of similar to Aussie rules.

18. Houstonfooty

Houstonfooty Member

I mentioned in a previous post that we are still on the lookout for a field/open area to host home games in Houston.

I was wondering if anyone here on the board had any suggestions? A standard soccer field is too small as the typical dimensions of a footy oval are between 135 and 185 meters in length and 110 and 155 meters in width.

Anything that does not have potholes big enough to loose entire players would be an advantage! So far the places we found that are big enough have less than perfect surfaces...

The Houston Polo ground would be ideal but I can't imagine they would let us anywhere near it.

Cheers.

19. Houstonfooty

Houstonfooty Member

Rocketsjudoka,

Unfortunately not. We have a few guys from Ireland that play Aussie Rules (inc myself) because there are no GAA sports here in Houston (Gaelic football or Hurling). The closest team is in Austin.

Due to the similarities in both sports it might be something we would develop way down the line, as a sister team. Both the AFL and GAA set aside $ for overseas development of their sports.

20. jlziomek

jlziomek New Member

Gaelic Football in Houston

We have just founded a Gaelic Football team here in Houston. We are the Houston Fenians and if you are interested in playing, please email us at houstonfenians@gmail.com

Our temporary website in HOUSTONFENIANS.COM

We would be interested in playing games against the Aussie teams as well as getting some new members.

Johnny