1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Landmarks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pacman0590, Dec 27, 2013.

1. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

So I just received a super bad ass camera for christmas (Canon Rebel) and I really do want to use it. I want to take pictures of a ton of Houston land marks in black and white, and hang them along my stair case..

Naturally my first thought was, The Hangout would be a great place to hear what the pictures should be of.. Theres the obvious ones like The beer can house, the skyline, and the water wall.. But in y'alls opinion what else in the city just screams houston??

Thanks in advanced. Will rep for ideas that I use..

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wortham Fountains, Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church, the Victorian home in the Heights off of 18th, Sweeney Pillar Clock, St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Dome, Grand Opera House and the Bishops House in Galveston, Julia Ideson Library, River Oaks Theater, Kam eating Nachos at a Rox game.

1 person likes this.
  3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Easy one is Hermann Park.

You can knock out a couple: Sam Houston statue, reflecting pool, Miller Outdoor theater, Mecom Fountains.

Also, the back side of MFAH Weiss Law building has some pretty sweet architecture...the side facing the fountains.

1 person likes this.
  4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Long Row, Old Place, St. John Church, Hermann Park, Glenwood Cemetary, Founders' Memorial Cemetary, Washington Cemetary, Bayou Bend, Jefferson Davis Hospital, Julia Ideson Library (seconded), Wunshe Bros. Cafe, Battleship Texas, Houston Waterworks, Houston Cotton Exchange, Webber House, Washburn Tunnel, Sam Houston Hotel, the Orange Show, Mansfield House, Link-Lee House, Houston Negro Hospital, Annunciation Church

1 person likes this.
  5. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

...Waterwall by Transco tower...it will always be transco tower to me

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

The Astrodome next to Reliant.

Fred Hartman Bridge (with petrochemical structures in background).

Harris County 1910 Courthouse.

Johnson Space Center (definitely Saturn V).

Bayou Bend Gardens.

Spindeltop site.

Galveston Strand.

San Jacinto monument.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Some really great neighborhoods near UH, hobby airport..and pretty much everything on the east side of 288.

8. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Gallery Furniture

9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the I<3Houston thing on I-10 just west of downtown

10. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

find cool graffitti that makes you think.. murals in downtown and EaDo

right after you exit 59N to go on 45 in downtown, theres a pipe that goes over the highway and in the background is downtown.

the graffiti on it reads, "Where are you going?" .. I wonder what reactions it causes in people that read it going about their lives.

getting that with downtown in the background would be cool

1 person likes this.
  11. LonghornFan

The Statues Heads of the Presidents on I-10 East right before downtown.

12. Classic

Classic Member

Houston landmark? highway construction--absolutely screams Houston

see any highway anywhere in town

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

14. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

LAWL, that's off of Yale exit on I-10. Passed that sign when I dropped off a customer's laptop on Yale earlier today.

15. LonghornFan

I've lived over in the area for years and last weekend was the first time I've ever seen that. Looks so stupid.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

water wall, zone d erotica, toyota center, galleria stuff, transco tower (williams tower if you werne't born in htown), the port of houston, medical center, skylines, get some cool graffiti and freeway shots with the shutter slow at night, arts district...

17. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Yeah, especially with the road construction going on right after you pass the sign.

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

My wife is a photographer, so we've actually done this a couple of times, just for fun and practice. The below are a few spots that are underrated, or at least I haven't seen it mentioned:

Head to the neighborhood on West Alabama between Dunlavy and Montrose (my old hood). You'll find:

1) The Menil Campus (just behind - or south of - the Houston Center for Photography on W. Alabama @ Mulberry). It has a beautiful park in front of the Menil Collection museum and some of its sattelite buildings. The museum itself is great and the light and shadows provided by the big oak trees and modern architecture is pretty striking.

http://www.menil.org/visit/neighborhood.php

2) Rothko Chapel and reflecting pool: very peaceful and beautiful. It's litterally right next to the Menil campus (toward downtown). You'll have to navigate around multiple drum circles if the weather is nice.

http://www.rothkochapel.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=8

3) St. Thomas University: right next to the Rothko chapel is St. Thomas. Very pretty, small university that you could walk the entirety of in about 15 minutes. The best things about St. Thomas are the golden-domed church, the childhood home of Howard Hughes, and - last but not least - the Link-Lee Mansion (now the St. Thomas admin building located right at the corner of Montrose and West 'Bama). The Link-Lee is a thing of beauty:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkā€“Lee_House

Once you've worn yourself out over there, head to Glenwood Cemetary on Washington. It's only a few miles away... take your time going through there. Devestatingly beautiful. In a related note, Howard Hughes is buried there also:

http://www.glenwoodcemetery.org/visiting/

ENJOY! Share your pics w/ Clutchfans!

2 people like this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

not an iconic landmark, but the eclectic menagerie park on 288 would be a cool thing to photograph

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sHBmi9untTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  20. LonghornFan

I cannot wait until that mess is finished. Over two years and counting.