1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Houston is a giant strip mall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Dec 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

it's pretty amazing to live life without the need of a car.
    can you imagine that?

2. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

It's funny that in downtown it says "we are forever building"

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I agree with all of this. But New Orleans doesn't look like every other Southern city. That was my only point.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're absolutely right! it really doesn't look like an american city in parts :)

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Houston is not a pretty city, it is a pig with lipstick, an industrial oil town.

Still a fun place to live ( in the right areas ), but not as nice as some of the more cultural cities in this country.

DD

6. YaosDirtyStache

NEVER come to Houston again then. You arent welcome here.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...I love Houston but the layout isn't eye appealing...Just drive north or south of downtown on I45 and you'll know what I mean...As much as I hate on Dallas, I must admit, you don't see the same type of strip mall mentality driving north on 75 from downtown...looks very nice and clean...now, you still have the same strip mall stuff on NW Hwy, 35 etc...

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

this is a lame post. you are displaying your massive inferiority complex. i am from houston, still have family there, and will come and go as i please. you want to live in houston, that's awesome. it is okay, however, to point out its shortcomings.

1 person likes this.
  9. YaosDirtyStache

inferiority? Try SUPERIORITY...Third coast BRED, Third coast DEAD.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, no, no. It is quite obvious he speaks for the unanimous will of all true Houstonians and is communicating for us who is and who is not welcome within our borders. If DaDakota ever sets foot in Houston, the whole populace will, as one man, turn their backs to him and utter nary a word in his presence other to to heap insults upon him until he beats his speedy retreat back to whatever picturesque part of the country he now lives in. Be careful, or the dirty stache may do the same to you.

1 person likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't know man. Lately I've been wanting to gtfoh ever since I went to Colorado. I've never been out of state since that. Driving by boulder and the estates was breathtaking, I just don't know how the real weather is. Seeing those caribou was nice but then your away from the city. Dallas looks pretty boring but friendlier and quiet perfect for a family. Houston just has too many thugs.

12. Apps

Apps Member

I love city talk and was thinking about starting a thread like this myself (except without the inflammatory opening post). I've lived in Los Angeles for 15 years and used to hate it; I love it now. I still acknowledge that the place has its deficiencies, like lack of public transportation, excessive reliance on the automobile, a lack of urban density/identity in comparison to other megacities (e.g. NYC, Tokyo, Paris, and so on), etc., but I also know that, just as with any other city in the world, that there are amazing pockets of urban beauty and plenty of reasons as to why it's one of the most famous cities in the world.

I think when it comes to city discussion it's most popular to take on an extreme opinion, as in "this city rocks" or "this city blows", however no one ever takes the truest road of "this city is nice but has room for improvement". I haven't been to Houston in years but what DD said, although it might ruffle feathers, is true to the extent of an outsider's perspective of the town. Houston is seen as an industry town, as an oil city, as a business center. It isn't particularly known for its urbanity, though it has it, it isn't particularly known for being green, though it is, it isn't known for any identity beyond that of oil and business, though I'm sure it has one. When push comes to shove, Houston could still stand to improve in those areas--the reality is is that it isn't turning any heads, but that's why you build.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I quiver in fear...lol....

I grew up in Houston, love to visit it, but it is not near as nice a city to live in as others.

Currently I reside in Austin - and it is way better to live in than Houston.

DD

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Now that I think about it, Albany is not too bad. Capitol city, has some rundown/vacant buildings downtown; but if you're looking for a hipster scene try Lark Street/City Square area. They call it "their Grenitch Village" because all the buildings are old and built atop a hill. There are plenty of bars, lounges, bistros, wine bars, pubs and resturaunts to go to. It is also right down the street from a major university.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

that was funny. I like it when people try to get all gangsta and try to talk 3rd coast. You forgot to say something about 713 .. and sippin on lean.. you are slipping mang..

Houston is a giant flat field. I think of it as one big football field. Downtown is the 50 yard line and katy is one end zone and beaumont is the other.

The strip centers provide one of the beauties and first things you are missing about Houston that you are 'seeing' but not appreciating. That is the 1st thing about Houston that makes it better, exceptional etc is square footage price. Most USA cities its more expensive to have square footage like you can get in Houston. It's cliche but everything is bigger in texas in that sense. I see maids with sidestep F250s living in mansions in texas. Square footage my friend. Houston haz it.

The next thing you are failing to notice is that houston has exceptionally attractive female population. Sure they might be better looking in ipanema but you get this big field and the areas are not separated by geography ...and you get a really interesting mix of races and cultures in Houston.

Houston is the furthest west on the circuit of beautiful women in the south and the 'southern belle' Houston has plenty of beautiful white southern belles.. with a nice mix of asian black and latina for good measure. I say Houston probably ranks top 5 best looking women in big city USA. Just my opinion but I would put Houston there with NY and Miami in terms of just downright good looking ladies. Houston for the win again.

The last thing to remember about Houston is there is not much to do except eat.. and lord knows they have figured that out in Houston. Houston has some of the best grub in the USA.. I will take a bowl of seafood gumbo/crawfish etoufee at pappadeaux any day of the week vs. a steak at a chicago steak house or some fancy fancy in NY. Please.. there are some tex mex restaurants in Houston that are so absurdly good its depressing to know that people in places like Seattle, Milwaukee, Washington Dc are never going to know about this.. And the list of great tex mex alone in Houston goes ten deep EASILY. and we havent even talked about places like istanbul grill or ruggles or tonys etc etc.I mean its ridiculous really.

I can spend an afternoon alone at dimassi at a great price eating lamb shanks. yum

So Houston has got its ugly parts but then you are looking at from the wrong point of view. I type this from San diego where I'm in shorts and thinking of hitting the beach, but man what I wouldn't kill for a del mar platter from pappasitos and a donut from shipleys right about now.

1 person likes this.
  16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Houston is my hometown and the place I call home now. I have a very strong love/hate relationship with it. Bear in mind I am 42, I've been with the same woman for 5.5 years and we are practically married so I am very settled down, I work in the arts and have made my living as an artist since my late 20s, I'm vegan and I'm only recently sober (about 2 years) and smoke-free (about 5 months I guess). Before that I was a binge drinker/drugger and a chain smoker. So I'm maybe not like all the other children.

First off, I hate the weather. I actually think the humidity is a greater barrier to walking here than even the sprawl. When I lived in NY I rarely used public transport unless I was running late. I like walking. I prefer to walk. In my younger years I lived in Houston for long periods without a car and I never took the bus; I walked miles and miles to get where I needed to go and the only bummer about it was that - about 9 months out of the year - within two minutes my body was covered in sweat and my clothes were soaked through. In extreme cold you can bundle up but there's no cure for extreme heat coupled with humidity.

I think the main thing about any city is the people you know there. One cool thing about Houston is that the city is so uncool that the cool people all find each other in the very few cool places. That is cool. But that was a lot more of a factor for me when I was out drinking every night. I don't drink anymore so I don't go out at night except to see plays or have dinner. Which brings me to my next beef:

It su-huh-hucks to be a vegan in Houston. Great vegan options/restaurants pop up and then they close down. I blame the population. We are a city of fat ****s and there are probably the fewest vegans/vegetarians per capita here of any major city which is probably why there are so few dining options -- certainly the least options for veg eaters per capita than any other major city. I often drive to Austin just to get a decent meal.

Houston is also an ugly city, one that tears down anything remotely resembling history if there's even a fast dime to be made. It is a developers' town and so we have no real, lasting landmarks or history. It sometimes seems like the main industry here is waiting for one restaurant or bar to close down so that another can take its place. In some spots this seems to happen annually or even more often. There was a wave of closings of alternative art spaces by the fire marshal about a decade ago and that badly set back the underground art scene. But just look at all our old theatres: they were converted to host weddings, sell books, sell videos and now they're all under threat of extinction. Only remade versions of their facades and marquees remain. Not to mention, of course, Astroworld, Kiddie Wonderland, Peppermint Park and all of the beautiful old homes inside the loop that were torn down to accommodate outer loopers who wanted to move into the city, live in fugly prefab condos and shut down all the bars and restaurants around them that once made the inner loop special because they wanted the quiet of Spring or whatever to follow them to Montrose. Why the **** did they move to Montrose?!

The roving frat party that moved from the Richmond strip to downtown to midtown to Washington is just godawful horrible. It makes me ashamed to hail from this city. I now live in a lovely historic home in Historic 6th Ward just off Washington. I love it. We have a large yard for our dog and the house is just perfect for us. But we need permits to park in front of our own house. Why? Drunken frat boy assholes. As my neighbor across the street said to me when I moved in, "I don't like it when a homeless person barfs and takes a **** in my front yard but I can understand it. When some dick in a BMW, drunk out of his mind with some drunk ass fake titted bimbo screaming out the window, does it, I get pretty pissed off." He was the one that lobbied the city for the parking regulation. It sucks, but I'm glad he did it. It's not that this stuff doesn't happen to some extent elsewhere, but in Houston it just seems like it's an accepted and almost even encouraged part of the 'culture.' This is what I call the FFB effect. Gross.

Now the good stuff:

The people. This is, as I said, the most important consideration in choosing a place to live and for me Houston is tops here.

The cost of living.

The philanthropic community. Though the city and state invest precious little in
    the cultural arts (the area that most affects me personally and professionally), the foundations and individual donors are a dream. They make it possible for me to live here and do the work I do.

The DIY spirit. From the indie music scene to the indie performing, visual and literary arts scenes, the DIY spirit is more potent in this city than in any other I've lived. And I've moved around a lot.

The major cultural institutions. Houston is a destination spot for visual art. The Menil is beyond compare. The major museums and large and small galleries are top notch. The CORE Fellows program (like the UH Creative Writing program) has brought many great talents to Houston and many have stayed. The Alley, The Ballet, The Opera, and The Symphony are each beyond compare in Texas at least.

The lack of pretense. Houston is the only city in which I've lived where I've observed and taken place in the following behavior at a bar: One person who regularly frequents a bar walks up to a stranger they've seen there more than 5 or 6 times and says, hey, I see you here all the time. What's your name? In Austin, you can meet someone three times and they still might walk right past you on the street.

On balance:

On balance, at my age (42), with my leanings (sober and smoke free), even with all I hate about Houston I wouldn't live anywhere else. That's after spending extensive time in Amsterdam, small visits to other parts of Europe and Central America, and actually living for extended periods in New York City (Manhattan), Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Albuquerque (last place by far), Portland, Chicago and Providence.

If I didn't live in Houston though, Austin would be my second choice, based upon the strong underground theatre scene, the food, the weather and the dear friends I have that live there and make all my visits there a true pleasure.

4 people like this.
  17. jae713

jae713 Member

GTFO OF HOUSTON!!!:mad:

J/k

I have never lived anywhere other than here, so for Houston to be your favorite place to live as a well traveled person, it makes me feel pretty lucky I live here.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

LMAO at all of this

I've lived in Houston (River Oaks, to be very precise) for a LONG time and have never spent a second thinking about how "crappy" it is. Inner Loop Houston rules. And I've spent a ton of time in New York, San Francisco, LA, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, Richmond and Miami. I'm convinced people in these other cities have a massive inferiority complex and spend a lot of time boosting their own self-esteem by putting down other cities. Not me, I just continue to live life, enjoy my friends and keep on pissing excellence.

cheers, brah

1 person likes this.
  19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I grew up in Houston and I now live in Auckland, NZ. I've been here since 2002. I still like coming back and visiting friends and family. I come back every couple of years and it blows my mind how much the city keeps on changing. There is something admirable and horrible about that at the same time. I miss my old haunts and it seems like the gentrification and sprawl keep right on going, though. As a father of two, I am glad my kids live in New Zealand, but I really enjoyed growing up there. I wonder what Houston will look like in five years?

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S2zMMIq4fm4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another week in the drivers seat
    With your feet up on the dashboard
    Rain it kept a steady beat
    As I watched you dream of Houston

I ain't never going back
    Yes sir that's a fact
    As you waved your cowboy hat
    And sang 'The Yellow Rose Of Texas'

Just trying to make high ground
    Has kept us on the run
    There's no crime in toeing the line
    Cause fortune is smiling on us baby