1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Freeways] They're moving I-45.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Apr 2, 2018.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Lol, every rail system in America loses a ton of money. Its old technology and just does not make sense.

Yes a train is cooler to ride in than a bus but that does not mean we should build them

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

We already have rail lines that run from the suburbs to downtown.

In fact, there once was a Union Station where Minute Maid is located.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Oh god no. That’s where all the homeless live. Remove it.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Every transportation system loses money. Rail is actually more efficient at moving people than most other modes.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Gotta buy that big ol' TRUCK we can't afford with money we don't have to impress people we don't like!

pugsly8422, Sajan and Space Ghost like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Explain how more freeways make money?

Sajan likes this.
  7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Well that wasn't on Metro. Residents in Afton Oaks (with the help of Rep. John Culberson) are the ones that killed the "University Line" even with it not going through Afton Oaks at all. That's the whole reason why the current Post Oak line is being built as a bus instead of rail.

Yeah but that's probably never going to happen and for sure won't happen until the University Line (light rail) along Richmond/Westpark is constructed. In a different Houston, the "University Line" and "Post Oak Line" are constructed and are one in the same. It would have been a one-stop ride from the Eastside Transit Center to Uptown.

8. Buck Turgidson

9. texanskan

TAXPAYERS choose to drive their personal vehicles in massive numbers over take public transportation.

In cities that were designed after the car was invented freeways should have WAY more funds and focus than public transportation especially something as expensive not only at the beginning but also ongoing as rail.

There is no debate on it. If you are pro rail you have to go into it realizing what a horrible idea it is and it's just something you want

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

I would love to know how people in NYC or DC would get around without a proper mass transit system like they have now.
    I am not saying rail or busses or helicopters are the solution but there's certainly needs to a more EFFICIENT way of transporting mass amount of people from one location to the other.
    Just because taxpayers decided to drive their massive SUVs everywhere doesn't mean it's sustainable 30 years from now.
    You sound like (i might be wrong) someone who haven't done a lot of traveling to different parts of the world or is interested in taking public transport.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I think that he/she is just stuck in the 1980s oil boom way of thinking as the world continues to pass on by

Sajan likes this.
  12. texanskan

Yes your 100% wrong

I grew up in London till I was 11 have lived in NYC and travel all the time.

Sun belt cities that grew in the 20th century need mass transit as an option but the focus should be on what the vast majority chooses to do and that is drive their cars.

I am all for the expansion of the park and ride bus system. You can commute and still use that space for cars. Soon the busses will be self driving and it gives a commuter the option.

Almost all streets in Houston have local bus service with a stop every two blocks.

Go to NYC and tell me you want to get on that disgusting Subway that loses like 5 or 6 dollars per ride per rider and will continue to deteriorate

13. texanskan

I'm getting ready for the 2018 oil boom and let's allow the free market to tell us what people want instead of jamming more expensive rail lines people won't use

14. Buck Turgidson

No he's not.

15. texanskan

I was referring to me not being traveled. While I disagree with rail in Houston I have an open mind but nobody has hard numbers all we can go off of is the failure in other cities

16. Buck Turgidson

17. Agent94

Agent94 Member

At this point we should just wait for driverless cars and buy fleets of off the shelf cars. It will be cheaper and more flexible than a bus line. Or have some kind of voucher system with Uber/Lyft.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

You must work in the oil and gas industry then.
    You cannot look at the rail systems losing money in silo. The local economy benefits when people can get to places easier.
    I literally just got on the subway here in madrid and took a 2 mile trip and spend a 100 bucks on food. I wasnt going to if I had to take a taxi or walk.

#98 Sajan, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  19. texanskan

So you wouldn't of eaten somewhere else if there was no train? Also if you had a personal car and free parking like in Houston you could of driven

20. Buck Turgidson

You literally cannot compare old European cities to those in the US, outside of the East Coast and a few on the West.

I wish it were different, but that train left the station a century ago. I do not know how to put that genie back in that bottle.