1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Hoops are on the way back to National prominance!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Zacatecas, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

There have been times that the Cougars looked like a top 25 team, but they would often disappoint. This team looks like it might be ready to return Houston to the glory it once possessed!

The curse of the SWC might be fading. The SWC did nothing but destroy all the UH sports.

Go Coogs!!!!!

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

At least ONE houston basketball team is playing well...

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Let's see if this thread will turn into a UT bashing one.

Good for the Coogs. Nice Saturday by our local b-ball teams with Rice beating Utah as well.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

You just love to pick fights don't you.

;) :p

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

That's why he was kicked out of the D&D in the first place. :p

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sorry, I just found it funny how that thread had both Rice and UT fans congratulating them on the win and it somehow turned into a UT bashfest instead of basking in a major upset over one of the best programs in the nation on national television.

Doesn't bother me, it was just amusing. Like I've said, good for UH. Having them and Rice good in basketball would be great for the area. I root for all things Houston.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What a great win Saturday...I had a xmas party but got updates from my brother and my phone...I also Tivo'd it and watched it Sunday...This is the start of something special....

Very athletic, very quick and man can they shoot...D wasn't that bad either...Oliver Lafayette and Lanny Smith are incredible...

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

If they could address their rebounding woes, this team will make alot of noise come tournament time.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is good exposure for the Coogs...

Oliver Lafayette

Houston's Oliver Lafayette Is Named The Sporting News National Player of the Week
    Junior guard also garners Conference USA Player of the Week honors

Dec. 5, 2005

Houston, Texas - University of Houston junior guard Oliver Lafayette has been named The Sporting News National Player of the week and the Conference USA Player of the Week after leading Houston to wins at 25th-ranked LSU and against 13th-ranked Arizona.

He averaged 30 points, 4.0 rebounds, 3.5 steals and one assist in the two victories. He also shot 59.5 percent from the field, including 65 percent behind the three-point line.

The Baton Rouge, La., native began last week scoring a career-high 32 points and registered four steals at LSU on November 29. He scored 27 of his points in the second half to help the Cougars overcome a 12- point halftime deficit to defeat the Tigers, 84-83, and give the Cougars their first road win against a nationally-ranked team since 1987.

Lafayette followed that performance with a game-high 28 points, including 20 points in the second half, and a team-high five rebounds to lead the Cougars to a 69-65 victory over Arizona in a nationally-televised game.

It was the first time the Cougars had posted back-to-back wins over nationally-ranked opponents since the 1984 Midwest Regional semifinal and final games. During the two games this week, Lafayette shot a combined 59.5 percent from the field and 65 percent behind the three-point line, while averaging 3.5 steals per game.

10. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Coogs should get better as the year goes on, as their starting center Richard Young is coming of surgery and has only played 5 minutes all year. Also, Lanny Smith and Jamar Thorpe have been hobbled with ankle sprains.

They still lack much D1 experience, outside of Lanny Smith, Ramon Dyer and Brian Latham, and they rely to much on the 3 point shot, but their defense should make up for it most nights. I expect them to lose a couple here or there that they "shouldnt" but overall they should be a tourney quality team. If they get healthy, and gell, they could be a very scary tourney team too.

The guys that Penders brought in this year are all players, they get after it on D and are really athletic. Obviously Lafayette is lights out from three point lands, but Thrope is just as valuable. He is just a force, and had 4 dunks on Az, including a sick baseline drive and dunk... which he did on a bum ankle.

2 of the freshman in the recuiting class look like they will be very high level D1 players too. Lamar Roberson who was courted by Louisville, is easily the best forward since George Williams, and will probably be the best since the PSJ days. He had 4 blocks against AZ, and a game sealing dunk. Tree (whose name i will not attempt to spell) is going to be a force in the middle. He came in as a mid level recruit, but has put on about 20 pounds of muscle and grown an inch or 2. He is a formidable 6-9 now, and will probably get bigger. He is built like Charles Oakley, and is one of those guys that is always around the ball. He has real NBA potential.

Should be a real fun ride this and next year. Coogs should be starting 4 seniors next year, and will field a team that will have a real chance to advance deep into the tourney.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I'm not a big Coug hoops fan, but Hofheinz Pavilion is a damn fine place to watch hoops!

12. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

Anyone going to the game versus SHSU Saturday?

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

what is the curse of the SWC?

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Although to be fair, part of their three point shooting addiction is also because of penders's offensive scheme. When he was at texas, he ran the basketball equivelant of the run and shoot offense.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Well, a comment like this certainly won't help.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't really watch college basketball but how come the coogs have played so few games compared to everyone else? their last game was almost a week ago.

17. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

finals i imagine

18. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

When is their next game? Will it be televised, and if so, when?

Go Coogs!

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

man houston really has an awful schedule with a bunch of nobodys. They better be tournament bound this year. There's just no excuse.