1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Sorry, I've been out of the loop when it comes to college football, but why would the B1G care about what the Big 12 or BYU/UH do?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm not entirely sure, but ESPN has a hand in pretty much everyone's pie. The B1G has eyes on the Big 12 in case they go kablooey, too. The B1G's TV contract is next up for renewal, so I imagine their discussions with the networks are really gearing up. This probably came up during that.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Texas and OU probably run to SEC now

4. shsu33

shsu33 Member

That was pointless. UCF is pretty much a lock for Big12 while Cincy and UH are basically getting a tryout. ESPN wants the Houston market, Big12 wants it's footprint in Florida. I feel like it's just more hopes and dreams from Big12, eventually they will have no other schools to claim are a better fit just to keep their fertile recruiting ground. I'm pretty sure UCF and Cincy already got the nod

5. AFS

AFS Member

What was the announcement?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Highlights...

• FOX wants the Big 12 to expand into Florida (where they currently have no coverage)
    • ESPN wants no more Eastern Big 12 teams (but would support Cincinnati if forced)
    • ESPN wants BYU and UH to increase MT/CT inventory (and presumably marketsize vs saturation doesn't hurt)
    • ESPN has put together some stipulations/benchmarks for UH/UC to hit (33.5K attendance, facility upgrades, etc)
    • The Big 12 will almost certainly expand for the 2016-17 season if they miss out on the CFB Playoff this year

Most of this info, specifically ESPN's preferences for Big 12 expansion, supposedly came from emails that the B1G ADs and Presidents received from the network during their latest round of TV negotiations.

That part of it very plausible, at least to me.

The other parts, specifically the stipulations and the Big 12's attitude about expanding, I think are kind of sketchy. The funny thing is that neither UC or UH will beat 33.5K attendance, so if that is to be believed, then this is all for naught.

The key to all of this is going to be what the B1G does next year. They are seemingly dead-set on going to 16 teams. The question is who 15 and 16 will be. Will it be the Carolinas/Virginia? Or will it be Kansas/Oklahoma? Or will they wait?

So, in tl;dr format, ESPN is behind us but a lot of things have to break our way first to end up in P5 before 2020.

7. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Following this ESPN top 25 games of 2014 and the UH/Pitt game is 24?

SMH yeah ok

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Dude, that game was fantastic. It was the biggest fourth quarter comeback in bowl history.

9. AFS

AFS Member

We're on Dillon Sterling-Cole's 5 teams. Would be huge if he committed here.

10. the shark

the shark Member

That Pitt game was crazy in the 4th qtr.

11. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Arizona St. the leader.

At first UH was the leader but that was before we got Bowman Sells to commit.

12. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Yep. Best game I have ever been to regardless of sport. Better than any Astros, Texans or Rockets game, bar none. I've gone to some pretty big Rockets games but this bowl comeback beats them.

It was cold as hell too. I had a hoody, a pancho and 2 sets on thermals on and still frooze the death.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems like ESPN owes us. We've given them lots of great games over the years, especially mid week. We are a fun and exciting team and have more potential to become a big time presence than anyone else. But once we get to the Big 12 everyone will abandon like the Big East, ugh.

14. 713

713 Member

Who is expected to be QB this year?

15. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

All indications is Greg Ward

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Dillon Sterling-Cole and Bowman Sells sound like characters from a soap opera.

17. Poloshirtbandit

Excited to see what he can do with actual coaching. Dude is an amazing athlete.

18. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

19. AFS

AFS Member

Herman and co. are killing it with this 2016 recruiting class so far.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Things are looking good recruiting wise but its still a long time until signing day.

There was a tweet by a UT writer today who thinks the Big 12 will eventually implode and I believe it will too. There are just too many rumors and if UT or OU jump ship that league is basically the AAC.