1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Final game tomorrow

Two tickets and parking pass (cost $20 to park)

$25 if anyone wants to go

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Would someone explain to me how UH could end up in the AAC title game. Some sports sites are reporting that possibility but don't go into detail. I assume that UCF would have to lose, but what would keep UC (though they lost today to Tulane) from getting in the championship game?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Won’t be Houston…

4. solid

Thanks, sounds like UH doesn't have much of a change to go to the title game.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Even if USF wins, that's an impossible hill to climb in terms of poll average.

6. Buck Turgidson

"In a three-way tie, the rule is the highest-ranked team that won its final game."

That seems squirrely as ****.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's probably because you don't want to wait until Tuesday night to figure out who is playing who.

8. MystikArkitect

I'm not unconvinced that this coaching staff has been betting on these games. The team's inability to ever cover the line has been very curious to me. This has probably been the single most unlikable UH football team I've ever watched and that includes the Applewhite/Levine squads that seemed more inept than anything.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

UH Football needs a reset. With the B12 looming, they're going to get embarrassed with they have now. Dana needs to go. He had his chances and has done nothing to move the program forward with any kind of optimism since he was hired.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Lmao garbage bowl for a garbage team

YOLO likes this.
  13. solid

I won't be watching. First time in a long time. This team is the most unlikeable ever. They had a chance at a "real" bowl and didn't seem to care. I don't either.

14. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UH wins:
    (#25) UTSA 10-2
    Rice 5-7
    Memphis 5-7
    Navy 4-7
    USF 1-11
    Temple 3-9
    ECU 7-5

UH Loses:
    (#16) Tulane 10-2
    SMU 7-5
    TX Tech 7-5
    Kansas 6-6
    Tulsa 5-7

For the most part we beat the bad teams, and lost to the 500 teams. Not good! Only optimistic take-always for me are the Tulane loss doesn't look so bad now and UTSA was a decent win. Two years in a row of weak scheduling. I'm a fan and looking forward to the Big 12. Money alone makes it a great step up for us. But we are not ready for that level of competition.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

16. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

It's been a really disappointing last few years for the players and the fans. I think the players we have are not the problem. The problem is who they are relying on to develop them, coach them, and lead them into being the best they can be. Holgerson has been an abysmal failure since day one. Somehow he cobbled together a decent season last year capping it off by winning a bowl game. This year he has taken a gigantic step backwards. He has had his chance. Barring a major miracle our first year in the Big 12 is going to be a bloodbath. If we win more than 4 games next year I will be surprised. But since he is Tillman's hand picked choice I guess we are stuck with him for a couple more years He has got to be the most unlikable coach that has ever stepped foot on UH campus. His behavior and antics do not help us when we are trying to recruit talented athletes to lead the way forward.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

There's an argument for both sides.

This team is 3 plays away from being ranked and hosting the AAC title game.

OTOH, this team is 2 plays away from not even going to a bowl game.

It feels like there's talent there, but holy crap this is an unfocused laser if there ever was one.

18. Buck Turgidson

UTSA is a better football program than UH.

I can't wrap my head around this.

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think the talent is better than the record shows, but I also think there were way too many games they didn't come out ready to play. It was also maddening how they would give up late game drives to tie or fall behind.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Think the team has shown low IQ for two years now. So low that's it's painfully obvious. So low that it impacted winning. Part of that is on the players. The other part is on coach for not solving the obvious issue. That said, let's go dominate the bowl and take the next conference to the shed.

Pat likes this.