1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

LOL. Lane Kiffin talking about selflessness is the height of irony.

2. Nook

Nook Member

He is a college football coach, of course he is a lying scumbag..... 90% of them are, and the ones that aren't typically lose (Levine).

Lane Kiffin is a brilliant offensive coach and an exceptional recruiter; if he surrounds himself with solid people and can keep his natural inclinations under control, he will be very successful.

Even Major Applewhite has a past reputation as being an ass, and has had some issues in his marriage and at UT. The hope, just like with Kiffin, is that he has grown up. In Applewhite's case I will say it "appears" more genuine, as he is still married, has gone through counseling since his issues surfaced and has gone out of his way to add structure to his life for his sake and his families sake. Kiffin hasn't shown that kind of discipline.

3. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

What I learned from these past few months is that CFB coaches are bigger liars and manipulators than politicians.

I watched the Applewhite press conference and there were so many mentions of his wife and their 2 children. Even on Twitter--for both UH and Applewhite--there's a picture of Applewhite's youngest child Nash wearing an Elvis outfit.

All about that image.

Bornz likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's what I loved about Billy Gillispie. No kids, no wife, not even any furniture and he didn't try and hide it. He just drank hard, studied film and won basketball games (until he stopped winning basketball games).

MystikArkitect and ShutURBiG! like this.
  5. ShutURBiG!

"A February 11, 2007, The Dallas Morning News article described Gillispie as a self-professed workaholic during his time at Texas A&M. Despite the fact that he had three assistants who watched opponents' game film and summarized it for him, he sometimes watched as many as fifteen of an opponent's games, often working as late as 2 or 3 a.m. to ensure he had adequate time to devote to the task. He stated that his eight-year marriage ended because he could not find a balance between work and home. With the sheer amount of hours he spent working, Gillispie often did not have time to even shop for groceries, once going as long as six months without any food in his refrigerator"

From Wikipedia. That's both sad and impressive :eek:

6. DonnyMost

Livin the dream

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

8. DonnyMost

Truly a remarkable accomplishment for Big Ed.

That kid is going to be dominating the NFL soon.

9. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the Oliver article I like.

LAS VEGAS - When you are a 305-pound defensive linemen there are few places more appealing than an all-you-can-eat buffet.

"I went to a buffet (Wednesday morning) and tried not to eat too much before practice," All-American nose tackle Ed Oliver said. "I'm eager to get back there right now. Call it the 'Ed Buffet' because that's where I will be spending a lot of my time."

Oliver, a freshman from Westfield, spent Tuesday night walking the Las Vegas Strip.

"There's a lot of bright lights, it's hard to stay focused," Oliver said. "Vegas has a lot to offer. I just wish I was 21."

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-s-Ed-Oliver-enjoying-Las-Vegas-buffets-10796683.php

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

I call bullshit

J.R. likes this.
  12. jbasket

jbasket Member

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

"No way in heck"??? No one is buying the Red Riding Hood bit Tom. No 45 year old grown man speaks like that. I hope you used Uber this time Tom...

DonnyMost and J.R. like this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

The Cougars appear to have taken the Balloon-Cup challenge, the Ping Pong balls in a tissue box rump challenge, and the cookie toss. It's a clean sweep of SD State so far in the bright lights of Las Vegas!

ShutURBiG! likes this.
  15. ShutURBiG!

Also won all the games last year vs. FSU before the Peach Bowl so that may be a good indicator.

16. MystikArkitect

God this. Same was said about RG3 with his religious schtick and ends up messaging random IG chicks. Spare me your religious and family nonsense.

Give me some selfish aholes who don't use their family and kids as bait for your emotions and loyalty. That's way way worse.

Yaosthirdleg and DonnyMost like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Crooked Tom has hired TO during the bowl game.

"Todd is tremendous but I don't want to do anything to distract from what they're doing in preparing to go win a bowl game, to win the 10th game of a season for back-to-back double digit win seasons for the first time in the University of Houston's history. There's no way in heck that I would try to interfere with that or distract from that."

#5077 J.R., Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That's pretty pathetic.

19. Nook

Nook Member

classy Tom.

#5079 Nook, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think a lot of top tier coaches, particularly at the professional level, would confirm this.