1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The question is, should I use my reverse jinx powers or tell you guys who I really think will win?

DD

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

All your smarmy "who cares" and "why isn't the game on tv" nonsense worked wonders by bringing College GameDay to campus and extending our sellout streak to 2 years, so please, go ahead and use your midas touch.

1 person likes this.
  3. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Exactly, it shows that the betters haven't bought in to believing that UH is a legitimate top ten team.

I'm looking forward to the game. I think UH and Tulsa may be pretty even. UH is probably ranked a little too high and Tulsa ranked a little too low.

5. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

enter the word "facebook" into the promo code spot

http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/EVExecMa cro?linkID=tulsa&evm=prmo&RSRC&RDAT&am p;caller=PR

see y'all there!

6. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm going to be in Dallas I'm kind of tempted to make the drive now and go.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i wish cared about college football more than i actually do. it's nice to see the Coogs in the top 10 and high profile bowl game would be just gravy.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i just wish i cared about the coogs more, but if they win out and get invited to the Sugar I will be in N.O.

10. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

11. Mattj

Mattj Member

Assuming you are a UH alum, what would get you to care more? Have you tailgated at a UH game before? I've been to games at most of the major programs in the country (LSU, Nebraska, PSU, OSU, Mich, SC, Florida, Texas, A&M). I can honestly say, with the exception of LSU, the tailgating atmosphere for a UH game is outstanding compared to much bigger programs.
    I wish we could get the "on the fence" and apathetic fans to back the program. There are some really good things happening on campus right now. It's just a matter of exposing people to the product.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So I guess the Coogs will be playing in the NCG since they are undefeated -- right?

13. Mattj

Mattj Member

That's not entirely true. If two SEC teams meet in the title game, the Sugar Bowl picks both of its teams 1st. Under that scenario, I could easily see UH in the Orange Bowl. The Sugar Bowl could take a Big 10 team + Clemson or KState ahead of UH. I think UH would sell minimum 35,000 seats for the Sugar Bowl, but UH fans need to step up to that number should Miami be the destination too.

14. DonnyMost

Can you give me a link? Everything I've seen says that if the Sugar Bowl loses its SEC qualifier to the title game (it's "host" team), that its 1st at-large pick would be granted ahead of the Fiesta Bowl (ahead of everyone, essentially), but it's 2nd at-large pick would remain behind the Fiesta Bowl but ahead of Orange.

So essentially, if it's Bama-LSU for the MNC, then the order would be Sugar, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange.

This is stated here: http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

The Sugar Bowl cannot lose two of its "host" teams, since it only has one host, the SEC champ. Ergo, it cannot be awarded 2 replacement picks that supercede the Fiesta. Alabama is not the SEC champ, therefore not considered a "host" team being lost... so the Sugar Bowl only gets 1 replacement pick. At least, this is how I understand it.

#414 DonnyMost, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Case Keenum a Davey O'Brien finalist(Nation's best QB), along with Robert Griffin and Andrew Luck. Winner announced December 8th at 8pm.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

We need to start talking about Tulsa, who should be in the top 25 instead of UT. They are certainly capable of ruining UH's dream season.

17. Mattj

Mattj Member

You may be correct, my information came from the Orange Bowl rep that I met on campus Saturday. I asked him how he thought things would shake down, and he said that if it was an all SEC title game "they" meaning Orange Bowl were likely stuck with the Big East champ and the Non-AQ.

18. DonnyMost

Well, far be it from me to tell a bowl official he's wrong, this stuff is confusing as hell. No doubt the BCS cartel would try their hardest to make it UH vs Big East champ, but according to the bylaws as I see em, that's not possible. The Big East isn't tied to any one bowl, they are basically a floating 'at large'. The ACC champ, however, is tied to the Orange. Maybe he said "we're stuck with the big east champ OR the non-aq"? Because it just depends on who the Sugar takes with the 2nd to last at-large selection, either the BE champ or UH. Whoever the Sugar doesn't take with that pick will wind up in the Orange Bowl. I just can't see the Sugar taking the BE champ (an 8-9 win Louisville, Rutgers, or Cincinatti team) over UH, though.

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Good grief, even the Bowl people don't know how the BCS works. Talk about a screwed up system.

20. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

UH vs the Big East champ would be a pretty underwhelming matchup. As a UH fan, I want UH to be tested with the best possible matchup and the Sugar would most likely provide that.