1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

You're right. I forgot that the BE has no ranked teams.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm gonna go ahead and call it.

If we win out, we're going to the Sugar Bowl.

The Orange Bowl was all up in our nuts this weekend, but the pecking order for BCS bowls is Fiesta, Sugar, and then Orange.

There's almost no doubt that the Big East champ is going to be the last taken, that means we're headed to Nawlins to take on an At-Large (Mich or Mich State) or SEC team (Arky or Bama), depending on how things shake out.

3. HoustonRockets

next game is so crucial vs Tulsa. On the road. Must prove we are the best in our conference.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

agreed. Tulsa's losses against Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and Boise. St makes their 8-3 record very misleading.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

From what I understood, the Big East will have a team in the BCS. The Big east doesn't have a tie in with any BCS bowl games.

The Rose Bowl has a tie in with the Pac 12, and Big 10, The Big 12 Champ goes to the Fiesta, and ACC goes to the Orange. The SEC winner goes to the Sugar, but because we will go ahead and say that LSU will win the SEC, and be number 1 in the standings, they will play in the BCS title game.

A sorry ass Louisville, currently at 6-5 might be going to a BCS bowl game.

Kam's projected BCS Bowls.

Rose Bowl
    Stanford vs Michigan State

Fiesta Bowl
    Oklahoma State vs Oregon

Orange Bowl
    Virginia Tech vs Louisville

Sugar Bowl
    Houston vs Wisconsin

BCS Game
    LSU vs Alabama

They take turns selecting at large. Because the Rose Bowl fulfills it's Big 10/Pac12 obligations, they won't get first choice. I'm not sure what selection goes first. I'll assume Sugar, because they lose their champions.

6. DonnyMost

Yes, if the Sugar Bowl were to lose its SEC team to the title game, the at-large choices would go Sugar, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange. I can't see any scenario where UH ends up in the Orange Bowl.

7. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Is anyone decing on going to the Tulsa game? There's a link on the Tulsa forum that discounts tickets big time

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Surprised to see Boise ahead of us in the BCS rankings.

9. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

If UH wins vs Tulsa, that should put them over Boise St. I'm guessing Boise's preseason ranking and beating Georgia is keeping where they are right now despite being in a subpar conference and being a 1 loss team.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What's misleading about losing to Boise, OSU and OU?

11. DonnyMost

I think he's saying they're better than 8-3, and I agree with him. They're deserving to be ranked, IMO.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Could they theoretically pass up Alabama for #2 if there's some voter revolt? I haven't done the math but I and a lot of other relative neutrals (the pro-cinderella crowd) would love to see them play LSU for all the marbles - and why bother pciking from all t mediocre 1 & 2 lossers to create an average-at-best appealing matchup? .

Now I think they'd get vandalized badly, of course, but it would be at least an interesting way to end the season, and it's probably more "fair" to LSU rather than forcing them to beat Alabama twice.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Link?

a friend at work and I are comtemplating it...depends on if he's able to get away from family obligations...

They have to win this, doesn't matter how close, but they need to win...

GO COOGS!!!!

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm pulling for UH but I think Friday is going to be a tough, tough game. Not only is Tulsa by far the toughest opponent, but an 11am start on the road is an adjustment too. They never play that early.

15. DonnyMost

The only hope for that was if USM and Tulsa ended up ranked when we played them, but they're both going to fall just short of that.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The opening line I saw was UH -3. Basically a pick 'em

Vegas not showing much respect

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Being a 3 point favorite on the road is not usually classified as a pick 'em.

18. DonnyMost

Tulsa is a good team, Vegas ain't dumb.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Vegas doesn't play the teams, they play the people....trying to get the most balanced money they can.....

If you can take the bias out of your picks you can do fairly well against the spread.

DD

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's around 3 points for home field. In my opinion we SHOULD be a slight favorite... 4 -5 seems about right ..It puts money on both sides ... giving the "advantage" of a close game decided by a field goal,history, strength of schedule, the misconception that we are a Paper Tiger, and all that crap to Tulsa ....when in reality our Cougars are much better than most know ...An improving defense combines with a legit Green Room guy who has a stable of RB's and WR's. UH is healthy in the lines ....Also,I think the SMU game was good for them. We needed at least the hint of a slugfest to tune it up a bit. I see us rolling into and over Tulsa something like 47 - 28 .... building on that confidence while adjusting/cranking up our game to a higher level still.....

#400 Plowman, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011