1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The PAC has an interest in expansion into Texas.

However, UH would prefer to play other teams in Texas and their graduates in the Houston area.

Also, UH needs to move very soon. They have spent a great deal of capital on football and will not be able to continue to do so without getting into a major conference very soon. There is the Herman issue as well, they want to be able to sell him on being in a major conference right away and be in a position to fend off schools like LSU and USC from getting Herman.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Asked you this a few pages back but where are you reading that the PAC and/or ACC is interested in expansion? I've heard this from quite a few UH folks but still have seen nothing concrete other than chat room rumors.

3. rocketry

rocketry Member

All we have to fear is fear itself.

Forget numbers, forget reason.

What does B12 fear more? Creating a monster and getting their ass kicked every year by UH or UH getting invited to another P5 and their conference becoming that much more insignificant and eventually collapsing.

They're damned if they do. F'ed if they don't.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Shouldn't it have been? Wasn't it practically the seasons kick-off game for major TV?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I never thought I'd see someone try to spin massive ratings for UH in Houston as blasée, but OK :)

6. The Stig

The Stig Member

UH and SMU for me. Although we suck in football, I think we can be a decent contributor in basketball/other sports as well as bring up the academic prestige.

UH is definitely a lock at this point. They make up the grounds for whatever A&M had before.

7. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

You're not wrong. I do feel that UH would prefer to be in the Big 12, considering the travel wouldn't be as extensive as it would be with the SEC or the Pac-12. And I don't mean travel for the team, but travel for the fans. UH wants to make sure they sell those road tickets and they have no chance of selling any tickets in freaking Oregon or UCLA.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a UT fan, let me warn you about football hubris: this **** can crash sooner than you know. I don't think anybody fears "getting their ass kicked every year by UH" - nothing in your program's history suggests staying power and when you've got to compete against universities with more pedigree (Texas and OU, USC, Stanford, UCLA, Oregon in the Pac 12 or Alabama, LSU, A&M, Florida, etc. in your SEC pipe dream), UH will find out what the big leagues are like.

I hope y'all get into the Big 12. But I caution you against thinking you're suddenly a perpetual powerhouse. Keep focusing on the baby steps, Coogs.

9. rocketry

rocketry Member

Shorthorns speak from experience.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Shorthorns? really? lol.....I'm no UT fan, but come on...

the UH situation reminds me of the path TCU took to the Big12. Dominating smaller, weaker conferences. Beating the big boys whenever they played them, like TCU beating OU in Norman etc before joining the Big12.

One step at a time, I'm hoping UH makes it to the Big12 though. I'd love to have some games to go to in Houston.

11. rocketry

rocketry Member

As opposed to the longer variety.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

that's what she said

13. rocketry

rocketry Member

While watching the 30 for 30 doc "The U"

14. Roc Paint

You don't have to explaine to me brother. I know all too well that life is good! ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. rocketry

rocketry Member

Never thought it would be this good this quick.

Go Coogs!

16. Roc Paint

That's what happens when you start pounding your opponents.

Go Coogs!

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

No way would the PAC 12 offer UH a spot. Pac 12 values academic prestige. UH isn't in the ballpark.

18. rocketry

rocketry Member

Maybe not in the ballpark but we're within the football field.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's a legit question. Care to answer?

I feel the same way about the ratings for that game as I do for the record setting ratings from the UT game last Sunday. It was the main game on. What else are folks who have been football deprived all summer gonna watch?

20. Nook

Nook Member

The same way I knew about the Sampson hire 3 weeks before it broke.

The same way I knew about the Herman and Levine hires before they happened, and numerous other events; etc.

Including Big XII expansion happening when everything in the media was that it wasn't happening.

I worked for the Astros while in college, and as a lawyer I was employed by some of the same people making decisions on Cullen.

Although I didn't graduate from UH, I have a relationship with two of the largest boosters and some of the administrators at the university.

I don't push for the information, but I am friends (or at least friendly with some) that are involved and feel passionately about it.

The PAC and UH have kept contact with one another, and have expressed a desire to expand into Texas. Again, UH would rather the Big XII as it is a better fit, and there is a strong need for UH to get in a large conference very soon. The amount of resources put into athletics at UH is above and well beyond sustainable in their current conference.

1 person likes this.