1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The best prospect that the University of Houston has signed in over a decade. He has the chance to be an All American and long term NFL player.

2. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Ah didn't know that I had read it wrong as he was 4th best in his position. That definitely changes things. :eek:

3. 713

713 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/CoachTomHerman">@CoachTomHerman</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB">@UHCougarFB</a> 2016 signing class: &quot;We made history.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/3IIymgsADz">pic.twitter.com/3IIymgsADz</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/694981565290426368">February 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. PhiSlammaJamma

This was pretty solid group. We had a number of holes to fill this year. I believe with Herman on board we will fulfill our promise to Oliver and more. We let Greenberry down a little, but ultimately he got his shot in the NFL, and if he just stayed one more year...so I'm good with how that turned out. But we do have a lot of holes to fill. so lot's of work to do. Some of it done!

5. Nook

Nook Member

What is lost is the quality of transfers and JUCO signings.... It was a very good overall year for UH.... They have an elite OL from JUCO, 2-3 former 4-star skill position transfers now eligible and probably 1-2 starting grad students.

6. rocketry

rocketry Member

CTH is literally a genius. Not figuratively. Bona fide. Genius.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yplo94ZV79w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  7. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

I'm sorry, I don't get it, can anyone explain to me please?

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

NSFW Language. From the movie Office Space.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N9wsjroVlu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the Amar'e Stoudemire version from a few years ago.
    [​IMG]

#3188 Ricksmith, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  9. rocketry

rocketry Member

As much as I disagree with "Deconstructionist" practices, I'll point out some of the elements making this seemingly simple Youtube video, genius.

Why destroy a fax machine? Because he's a different kind of coach, doing away with outdated methods.

The film is classic. Texas director, Mike Judge (though from Austin). Using classic Ghetto Boys song. Again showing a genuine appreciation and paying homage to H-Town art. (His love of Houston is real, folks)

The man just made history and he posts a self-deprecating video.

He's just playing on a different level.

10. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

LMAO awesome, Coach Herman is the best!

11. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

That's probably what he looked like when he was calling Nick and John.

12. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

He's destroying the fax machine because that's how they transfer documents on signing day.. They are done using the fax machine, because signing day is over.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Paul Finebaum just aired it too. So it's making the rounds. Keeping us in the news. Funny. Most people in Sports entertainment and radio will get it. People are talking about us. Recruits might find it funny, but not sure office space is on their radar. The key is it will get some press for a few days.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Recruits will barely know about the joke, but they will see UH and Herman making headlines again, and that's always good.

15. rocketry

rocketry Member

Since the obvious needs to be stated: You don't just appeal to the recruit, you appeal to the parent. I guarantee you the 40 year old parent of the recruit--depending on socio-economic status--will recognize the film or the song. Likely both.

A red wheelbarrow next to a white chicken isn't just about a wheelbarrow and and a chicken.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Not that it means much, but they are eating it up on reddit (r/cfb).

Neutral fans are genuinely interested in the coogs!

I love this man

17. rocketry

rocketry Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...its-but-tom-herman-fought-them-off/?tid=ss_tw

Some extremely interesting CTH quotes in the piece, including this:

"“The highest-ranked non-Power Five recruiting class in the history of college football,” Herman said, “and I got on a plane twice.”

Pause.

“Let me repeat that: I got on a plane twice. I slept in my own bed most every night.”

He told of his days as offensive coordinator at Ohio State, of rental cars and hotel beds. He told of his days as an offensive coordinator at Iowa State, where players might not see the campus until their January visits.

“These [Houston] kids, they’re on our campus every other day, and as juniors in the summertime,” Herman said. “They’re here, they’re around, they’re present, where other schools, they don’t have that luxury.”"

18. shastarocket

^ I was JUST about to post that!

Segment starts at 18:05

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qtYLZsaP1WY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That comment says more than any superlative I've heard regarding Herman.

You're telling me this family oriented coach can recruit successfully against the big dogs in one of the most fertile grounds in college football without having to sacrifice too much of his personal time?

#3198 shastarocket, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  19. shastarocket

Another good segment starts at 22:00

Herman talks about what his main argument is to recruits to prevent "blue blood poachers"

It won't apply if we end up in a P5 conference, but the core still matters. It's about winning while representing your city, IN your city. That's why it's so important for us to rally around the school.

20. rocketry

rocketry Member

Watching it was even better than reading it. Thanks for posting!

Alright, alumni. If you don't have season tickets, what are you waiting for?