1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Contacted Arroyo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by paxil, Jul 2, 2004.

1. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

On the news in Puerto Rico and East side of US said that after a phone conversation with Herb Rudoy Carlos agent confirm that 6 teams made contact with him inquiring about Arroyo. One team has dropped (Phenix). The team includes Atlanta, Miami, and Houston.

Utah is most probably willing to match anything under 14 million for 3 years (just my opionion from Jazz forum and other resource).

Arroyo may cost the entire MLE or at least 90% of it.

How much Rockets should offer him?

If sign and trade, who can we give up, Howard? MoT? Lue?

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I heard Orlando is the one that's courting Arroyo the most. However, the Jazz have 30 mil. in cap space, and they can outspend anyone.

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

That doesn't make any sense. They just traded for Francis. They gave up a future 1st to get Jameer Nelson. No way they spend valuable cap space on a 3rd point guard considering they have some big holes to fill.

4. paxil

You don't want to spend 5 million to sign someone play behind Steve. Steve is going to get his 40 minutes a game.

I think Miami is the top competitor (I guess it is also very close to Peuto Rico). Maybe the two brothers can play some horse and decide who takes CA.

5. DeAleck

Actually, you are making alot more sense than me right now. Where did I hear what I heard?... I might be from Weisbrod... OK, it ALL make sense now!

I feel alot better. :D

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Miami doesn't make sense either.

Hello Dwayne Wade.

7. DeAleck

"It might be", of course.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It makes sense if the rumors are true that they plan to trade Mobley and play Francis at shooting guard. You wouldn't want to depend on Jameer Nelson as your only point guard then.

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

our money would probably be better spent on a 25 year old point guard rather than a 34 year old shooting guard who plays point.

Arroyo - 25
    McGrady - 25
    Yao - 23

not a bad nucleus to build around

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I agree with that...not too fond of getting Barry at the point.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

His Efficiency is less than Barry at 12 to 16, but I like him as a fall back.

12. paxil

The greatest concern that I have for offering CA is his is a restircted agent. Utah might match whatever we offer and they don't have to make a decision until July 15th. If they did that, it will totally screw up the plan. By then, both Barry and Fisher will be gone.

Arroyo is a little bit more risky but better potential than Barry and Fisher.

The best case senario is to setup a sign and trade with Utah. But we don't have anything to offer except Howard, Lue, MoT and maybe Pike.

Oh, I forgot Boki.

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The rumor was to Golden State for Jason Richardson - another SG.

Of course there was some report that the Magic decided not to trade either Cato or Mobley.

The team is in way too much flux to piss off their "star" player by moving him to a position he doesn't want to play.

Also, if Weisbrod is as big of an ass as we think, no way will he make a move that'll make the fans second guess him.

Carlos Arroyo won't excite the Orlando fans.

The Rockets should make a serious push for Arroyo. He has a lot of upside. And unlike the other PG possibilities, Arroyo is young and won't have to be replaced in 2 or 3 years.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Leave Boki out of it.

15. paxil

Can someone answer this question for me?

If, e.g. Hawks offered Carols 4 years 16 mil, can Houston also offer another contract to him? Does the contract have to be higher than the first team?

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Arroyo for the MLE. Barry somehow for the trade exception (sign and trade). Some backup center for the veteran minimum. I'd be fine with that.

PG: Barry, Arroyo, Lue
    SG: McGrady, Barry, Jim Jackson, Piatkowski
    SF: Jim Jackson, McGrady, Boki, A. Griffin
    PF: Howard, Taylor
    C: Ming, backup scrub (if we can't get anybody else, I don't care, sign Alligator Willis...)

17. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Sign Bateer. Big body and nice jumper.

18. DeAleck

Yes, if it's meaningful to the player. Offers are offers, it has no legal bounding to it unless the contract is signed. The Hawks can offer him $100 million per day, but if he wants a ring and comes to us for $5.25/hour, he can. (well, adjust that to the league minimum).

I remember one time the Jazz offered their UFA Donell Marshall $5 millions, while he wanted $7 millions. The Jazz won't do it, and Marshall was pissed. Then Chicago offered $4 millions, and Marshall took it and ran away. Now, Marshall is suffering in Canadien hell (their government take away more than half of your income), but it's another story.

19. DeAleck

No thanks. Too big for the bench and can't even jump out of it.

20. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

The guy doesn't speak a lil of English, how you expect him to fit in? But with Yao on the team, it is a different story.

After all, he was the starting center for the Nuggest two seasons back.

He is dirt cheap and can take on Shaq with his 300lb pure muscle. He flattened Shaq in Toronto and Shaq had to stay down for a while.