1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Texans pursuing free agent quarterback Jeff Garcia

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 2, 2007.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4596957.html

By JOHN McCLAIN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Because Denver insisted on getting a draft choice for Jake Plummer and the Texans won’t part with any of their picks, they’re trying to sign Garcia, who would replace David Carr as their starter.

The Texans have been expected to trade Carr since last season ended. Once Garcia signs with a new team and is off the market, Carr becomes the most attractive quarterback available.

Garcia, who turns 37 this year, is one of the hottest free agents on the market. When coach Gary Kubiak was the offensive coordinator at Denver, the Broncos tried to acquire Garcia but couldn’t pull it off.

“Yeah, we chased him in Denver,” Kubiak said. “I’ve always been impressed with the guy. He’s one tough son of a gun. He makes smart decisions. He’s been productive just about everywhere he’s been.”

Several teams, including Oakland and Tampa Bay, also have been interested. The Raiders are trying to sign a veteran starter. The Buccaneers thought they had a deal for Plummer on Friday, but it feel through after he told them he was going to retire.

Plummer didn’t want to go into another situation where he would have to compete for a starting job again. The Bucs were willing to give a fourth-round pick for Plummer to compete with Chris Simms, who signed a two-year extension after the season.

Simms was injured last season. Tim Rattay finished the season as the Bucs’ starter, but he’s looking for another job.

If Plummer follows through with his retirement plans, the Broncos would still own his rights for three years, which would keep him from being reunited with Kubiak, his offensive coordinator for three years in Denver.

The Texans are also interested in receiver Ashley Lelie, who was a No. 1 draft choice in Denver and was later traded to Atlanta.

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Git 'r done. This offseason could turn out even better than I thought. I was never really high on Plummer as a Carr replacement, and I certainly would hate to see us give up a pick for him. Draft a left tackle or safety in the first round, pick up Kolb in the 2nd or 3rd, and let Garcia start next season.

Who knows, we might even smell the playoffs this year.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

No on this fudgepacker

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Garcia had a good season, but he's awfully old. If they do pick him up, I hope it's only to bridge the gap to Stanton/Kolb/Leak.

5. updawg

updawg Member

Good, sounds like they are serious about doing something at QB. I think Carr is Kubiaks last choice for next year. I just have the feeling he has no confidence in the guy.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Stay classy, Houston.

7. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Garcia is old but he's still mobile and accurate on the run, which fits perfectly in the Kubiak scheme. If he's being signed for one, max two years then I say great. He could mentor a young QB that we draft in the later rounds, and then turn the reigns over.

Lelie as a #2 receiver is a good option. He's young and can stretch the field more than Moulds could.

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'd rather start Sage and draft a QB to groom in the third.

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Ugh. Old QB + Texans O-Line = injured reserve. You sign this guy, he spends half the season injured - guaranteed. A rebuilding team making a play for an aging QB smacks of desperation. I'd rather draft Quinn or, if he's not available, just go with Sage.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Me too. Spend our little amount of free agent money on other positions.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If you're determined to upgrade from Carr, this is a much better solution than Plummer. One, I think Garcia's a lot better than Plummer. Two, given his age, it's a lot easier for him to be a stopgap and to phase him out in a year or two if and when a new quarterback for the future is found.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I concizur.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Garcia > Plummer. As a poster mentioned, the best option is sign him if he is not too pricy and draft Kolb or another QB in the second round.

14. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

He's not that old. He's only 37. I remember Warren Moon kicking ass all the way up to his 40's.

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Lelie is going to want more $$$ than he deserves most likely. He's a one trick pony with the streak. And stretching the field wont really be a major part of the gameplan with Garcia's noodle arm.

As much as seeing Garcia starting for the texans revolts me, it'd be nice to see what the team does when they have someone to rally around.

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Jeff Garcia + Dome Stadiums = worst record ever.

17. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Was Moon playing behind a paper-thin offensive line in his 40s? How fast can a 37 year old QB scramble? How much punishment can he take? Say what you will about Carr, but he always got back up. Sure, Garcia might not take as many sacks, but even 1/2 as many might be too much for someone his age.

18. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I didn't know Tim Hardaway posted on clutchfans.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This thread is useless without pictures of his Playmate girlfriend.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

More disinformation from the Texans. It will be Carr starting at QB come fall. Let the howls begin!