1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HOUSTON BOUND? Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...-+BostonHerald.com)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Hot commodity

A league source confirmed yesterday that the Houston Rockets have received permission from the Celtics to interview Lawrence Frank for their vacant head coach position.

The Celtics assistant coach declined comment, saying that his focus is on the playoffs and the Miami Heat in particular.

But Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, a former executive with the Celtics, is casting a wide net in his search for Rick Adelman’s successor. The Rockets reportedly are set to interview Kevin McHale and Sam Cassell next week, and have also targeted former head coaches like Mike Woodson and Mike Brown.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

next interview:

[​IMG]

3. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

SpaceCityKid?

4. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Yao's career?

5. djimi

djimi Member

i dont know, this guy is kinda the last guy i want coaching Rockets, dont really have a specific reason, he just doesnt look like a coach that can win any team a championship, he probably could as an assistant but not as a head coach. players usually respect ex-players who knows the game or someone more experienced and older, the reason Frank got the job in NJ was cos Kidd kinda vetoed it when he decided to go against Scott whom i thought was a better coach that brought them to the finals. Please dont hire Frank....please!!

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lawrence Frank? Hahaha. That guy is a joke.

7. mig0s

mig0s Member

This.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No that would be this.

[​IMG]

Why are people so down on Frank? Honestly I'd have him at the top of the list of all the "candidates" we'll be interviewing.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

fantasic analysis! You should be expecting an NBA job offer soon.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I miss having a defensive team, so I would love to get this guy.

He has head coaching experience. He has experience everywhere, including on a contender right now. He's a hard worker.

If Morey is able to convince him to (1) use game data from management and (2) incorporate advice from an offensive coach, this could be the best move for us IMO.

I think this team needs a defensive coach more than an offensive one. IMO this guy won't lead us to a championship, but he will instill good discipline, winning mentality and defensive know-how - which is great for a young team.

11. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

NO!!! the guy's record in Nets was horrible !!!

12. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

Yes that team being historically bad was definitely the coaches fault, and it definitely improved after he was fired.

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

It doesn't really matter who the coach is gonna be next year until we get a legit big man, this team is far from a contender.

This team has the talent and skill, but you can't teach height. And this team has nobody to clog the paint defensively. Until that happens, we're a mediocre team.

We don't need the next Hakeem/Lakers Shaq/Dwight, but just need someone who can play defense, block shots, and throw down some offense rebounds...

You might as well have the team play pick-up style ball until then.

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

When he first took over, the Nets had a long winning streak going. I think it was close to a record at the time for a new coach taking over midseason.

He is a good coach. He had the Nets playing well. Suddenly, the players gave up on him, and it was obvious. It went from stout defense to lackadaisical in a hurry. The set plays turned into isos and freestyles.

He gets a bad rep for the bad record, but I think he can coach. He just needs a chance and a veteran like Chuck Hayes to be his on-court support

15. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Sheesh, this is one of the few hires that would upset me. I'm generally the type to let the GM do his job and trust his expertise, but this guy just screams jabroni.

16. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Listen, if you fire a HOF coach who's winning% is franchise best because you didn't like the "direction", how can you justify that with bringing in coaches with either ZERO experience or horrible track records with other teams. This only justifies that the Rockets are in full tank mode. Les & Morey have put draft position over winning and have completely sold us a pipe dream. We we will be the New Jersey Net's all over again

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Frank was TWill's inaugural NBA coach his first 16 games in 2009.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

The guy coached NJ for how many years?

The only reason he had a job for so many years was because the owner was too damn cheap to fire him.

NO. NO. HELLLLLLL NO.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

OBviously trying to bring in a coach that would play TWill to unleash his beastly Lebron James potential

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think this thread is full of silliness. Just because Lawrence Frank coached a terrible team does not mean he's a bad coach. There is a reason the Celtics hired him. I'm sure he's a very capable coach.

Besides, no matter who they bring in, we're not going to be championship contenders anytime soon.