1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Blue Devils

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, May 18, 2022.

1. shinjirod

shinjirod Member

Depends on the system. Perhaps the best example of this is the Triangle.

When it had the right players, it was unstoppable. See: Michael Jordan's Bulls, Kobe and Shaq's Lakers.

When it didn't, and had great players but didn't have the bball intelligence to run it, it was disastrous.

I believe that, at this point, you are looking to hit home runs with talent. Once you hit it, you can start creating a better environment and think of stuff like that. It doesn't mean you don't start grooming those skills and build on them, because that would mean you probably never really understand what kind of talent you're dealing with.

Der Rabbi, groovemachine and theDude like this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember there was a lot if talk when the Lakers hired Jackson that he was the wrong coach because he wouldn’t be able to run the triangle with Shaq the way he did with the Bulls. It ultimately worked out, but I wasn’t sure if that’s more exception to the rule, simply because you had two all-time greats on the team.

3. csc177

csc177 Member

Williams wont be there at 17. Will have to move to get him. Dude is 7'2 with a 10ft reach.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Maybe, most mocks have had him going anywhere in the 13-23 range. Even if he’s gone that means another ‘lottery talent’ player dropped and may be available. The team could also trade up, or trade back and achieve a similar scenario with Kessler.

Or take BPA at 17 and plan on another top 10 or top 5 pick next year. Next year is almost surely another development year.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I love Mark Williams and think he will be a good center for a long time in the NBA, but I have to disagree with you on fit with Paolo in the NBA. Do u worry that Williams could actually limit Paolo’s game? I do. I think there’s is a lot more to Paolo’s game that we didn’t get to see precisely because Williams was on the court. Paolo is a PF but he’d also be great as a small ball center when the matchup makes sense. If we end up with Paolo I doubt we draft a prototypical center, especially with Sengun on the roster. But that’s just my take. Love Williams but don’t see the nba fit with Paolo. I get the need for defensive balance but I just think Sengun and Paolo will have to become better defenders and extend their shooting range to make thinks work; which I believe is possible. I’m also still excited about Garuba’s defensive upside.

#25 Aruba77, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    Bo6 and groovemachine like this.
  6. shinjirod

shinjirod Member

Probably! I'd like to think there's teams that have so much talent or the fit is so good together that it is basically impossible to screw up. But then, there's the Warriors example, which you could argue was a mediocre team with Mark Jackson, and an all timer with Steve Kerr. I guess it's a case by case thing, but yeah, those Lakers probably could've won with me at the helm.

theDude likes this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You may be right. I see Williams as similar to Capela, but with higher upside. That would be solid value if he falls to 17.

Aruba77 likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

if Williams falls to 17 we have to take him, regardless of fit. But I doubt that will happen

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

If my casual count was correct, there were six Blue Devils among the early entrants, so there may be other routes to this coming true.