1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Astros looking forward

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets Pride, Jul 10, 2016.

1. conquistador#11

the time to wisely splurge would be right now as you're getting all star production from the top 3 of the order at nike labor prices.
    It's not going to be this way for much longer. need to capitalize on three world series trophies. I'll be fine with 2 though. =)

should be intriguing.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Royals are basically the Astros fast-forwarded 5 years into the future. Their young core guys started becoming arg-eligible or free agents, and they've spent more to keep them together. The Royals of 4-5 years ago were also finishing the season in last place, despite having Perez/Escobar/Moustakis/Hosmer/Gordon/Cain all up and playing.

Is it the Astros fault that things are so damn ahead of schedule?

Yes, time will tell. Its a huge luxury that they have 3 young/prime players on pre-arb/cheap extension contracts... along with having an overall team that is yielding BETTER results than most of the league with a higher payroll. Pitching remains a priority... I'm sure they weren't banking on Keuchel regressing this fast, which would have made acquiring a guy like Samardjzia or Cueto far more of a priority... then again, they're getting far better return on Fister

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... a very in-organic way for payroll to go up.

The Astros are guaranteed to have payroll increases based simply on the fact that young club-controlled players get raises every year... and they will supplement that along the way with moderately priced free agents vs. higher priced extensions as needed.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's *exactly* what you're suggesting. The Astros' five best players this year (Altuve, Correa, Harris, McCullers and Springer) make a combined $5.7MM. When you don't have to pay each of your best players (or any) $15+MM/year, it's nearly impossible to have a middle-of-the-pack payroll, let alone top 10. To do so, you would have to, yep: spend just to spend.

Even if you throw in Kuechel's new $7MM salary, SEVENTY-ONE (71!) players make more individually than the Astros' five best players (+ Keuchel).

That's a tremendous advantage, both in the short-term, as well as long-term.

Fans need to stop worrying so much about other people's money. You're griping about a team that's 133-117 since the start of last year not spending money, which, fittingly, sounds a lot like b****ing just to b****.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

What have you seen or heard that makes you think they don't plan on keeping these guys together?

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yep

If we signed a couple of big money free agents to long term deals and got out payroll in the 150 range, then couldn't keep some of our home grown guys, the same people would be b****ing about that

The financial path they have chosen makes sense so far. They spend plenty on the farm and development. If the time comes and we don't keep our home grown talent, that would be the time to b****

7. Buck Turgidson

They've signed their own guys to avoid arbitration and have signed some FA's to plug holes. I like their model (also helps the Stros that our farm system is better, in my opinion). In case anyone's interested in how the Royals got where they are, payroll-wise, here's a rundown:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/american-league/kansas-city-royals/

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, its made sense... they had the foresight to let a team of young/talented guys grow together and figure it out (despite not so stellar returns at first), even if some guys like Cain and Gordon were ultimately late bloomers.

The Astros have had the stellar returns early, which makes it even harder to defend going in a drastically different path.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros have never had a top 3 payroll to my knowledge. These guys will either perform well enough to make it impossible to keep them together past Correa's arbitration years or one or more will perform to levels not worth keeping them past arbitration (or get injured). Even with team friendly extensions, players are not likely to leave enough money on the table to keep all off them past arbitration years.

I don't think Astros have specifically thought, we aren't keeping one of these guys with maybe the possible exception of Keuchel who Astros will have to decide on first. They'll let things play out. I think they are realists that the odds that all 5 are worth keeping and the Astros being able to keep all five within their budget are minimal.

#69 Joe Joe, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  10. Airdough

Airdough Member

The Astros don't need to spend just to spend but if they can lower the prospect cost on a trade by taking on more salary, they have the flexibility to do so. Perfect examples are taking on Upton from San Diego or Braun to get Pomeranz/Lucroy respectively.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Understand what you are saying, but Upton is no longer a good example. He's gone from contract dead weight to someone that teams may try to acquire within the last year.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

When it comes to stupid spending, look at the off-season "winners" of the past few years.

Marlins in 2012 went on a spending spree when they moved into their new stadium...finished 69-93 and in last place

Padres in 2015...finished 74-88

D'Backs in 2016...currently 38-52 and in last place

Spending like crazy doesn't equal wins. I like what the Astros are doing. It's about building for the long term and not win now. They just happen to be winning now because the moves have turned out better than we had hoped earlier than we had hoped. There's no reason to stray from the plan.

13. Airdough

Airdough Member

Replace Upton with Kemp. Upton is still owed nearly $17MM next year so despite him improving this year, not sure he's a super hot commodity.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't say we've been good, yet. Up and coming is more accurate. Look at this season... would you say it's been a good year? We're not currently in the playoffs while being a healthy squad overall. Our record wasn't good last year, but we showed more clutch ability than pre-Kent/Beltran Stros.

Crane has spent money sure, but look where payroll came from.. the bottom, there was no way but up.

What I really meant was if the Astros win (95+ win squads, multiple WS and ALDS appearances) over the next few years, there's no way it gets broken up. The city's buzz would be too great to dismantle. Can't keep everybody, but Luhnow will keep the farm decent to great. These Stros should outdo Big/Bags -- not that difficult considering postseason.

#74 Houstunna, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agreed on Kemp. And I'm not sure what he was saying with Upton in terms of "in the last year". He signed this past offseason, and he has sucked since signing.

Despite Upton "improving" in the last 1 month (not year), he's still Carlos Gomez...except on a long-term, higher dollar contract. Since June 1 his OPS is .770, and that's by far the best he's shown this season. His BABIP on the season is fine (maybe even a little high), his soft contact rate is up, K rate is up.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There are more than one Upton. The one being discussed is the Upton that is currently on same team as Pomeranz.

17. raining threes

This is a great post and a very fair perspective.

Wish I could rep

1 person likes this.
  18. the shark

the shark Member

Hey Now, this isn't that hard, but obviously you like to argue just to argue. I've stated from the very beginning that I will hold off believing that Crane and his partners will spend the hundreds of millions of dollars it's going to take to keep the core of the team together over the next 5-7 yrs (or take on big time $ through trades or FA) until I see him doing it.

You however, equate him bumping the payroll up 38 mil for this yr only (where the payroll is still below 90 mil and ranks 24th out of 30 teams) to KNOWING FOR SURE THAT HE'LL SPEND HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF $$$$.

Whatever!!:eek:

1 person likes this.
  19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think it's reasonable not to expect blockbuster FA signings year in and year out. What we don't want, however, and what we fear thanks to Drayton, is the loss of our own guys while their career arc is still on an upward trajectory.

You add Darryl Kile, Luis Gonzalez, Ken Caminiti, Steve Finley, Kenny Lofton, and Bobby Abreu back onto our Astros teams of the late 90's, and who knows what we could have done. At the very least I like to think we would have been neck and neck with the Braves and Yankees. As is we still had great teams, but oh what could have been. In particular I get upset about losing Kile and Abreu. I hope this Astros incarnation doesn't make the same mistake.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Sorry, missed that. Forgot how much BJ/Melvin signed for!