1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Astros looking forward

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets Pride, Jul 10, 2016.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

While I appreciate the work lunhow has done on this front ... He really hasn't proven anything yet . He has rebuilt the organization to his liking and only time will tell if that is a good thing.

It's fairly easy to build a great farm system when you tank for 3 years and sell all the major league talent on the team . It's even easier when the process has been started for you and you have several top talents ( like springer) already on the farm .

Lunhows marquee draft in 2012 was also when he was paired with another scouting director . Since he hired Elias his drafts have been a bit less impressive

I think in the future it will become clear how much of an advantage having the number 1 overall pick has been with the new draft system ( which coincidentally started in 2012)

I agree that up until this point he has done fine. If we struggle next year , or struggle to have continued success then I put him on a short leash given the extent of the rebuild which should lead to really high expectations

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros are winning more than they have lost the last two seasons. Astros still have a ton of fluff on 25-man and 40-man as prospects bust all the time. Miller and Robertson date back to prior to Astros winning ways. Astros also just acquired Gurriel. Rasmus loved the Astros so much he signed the Q.O..

The Astros are competing and are conducting themselves like a team that wants to win now and in the future. Making a moves in addition to signing Gurriel and bringing up baseball's best prospect was not going to erase how poorly Astros played early in the season. They also are conducting themselves like a team that trusts its players.

I know the odds are long, but I see this team at least fighting for the playoffs until the last week if they don't pull this out. I don't think Luhnow has given up on the season. If anything, he's too cocky about the team he's put together and just didn't think it was worth it to trade for help.

Go Astros!

3. Buck Turgidson

So did I miss anything this past week?

4. Nook

Nook Member

Gurriel is likely to be in the field most of the time the next few years. He is considered a good fielder. Also the Astros have envisioned having the DH being a revolving door to give guys a break from the field.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So... exactly what Luhnow has done? You do realize, since July 24 of last year, the Astros have dealt 11 prospects for Kazmir, Gomez, Fiers and Giles (+ low-level ML SS), right? He didn't cash any in at the deadline and you're sad - we get it. But any notion that he's hoarding prospects at the expense of the major league team is completely ridiculous.

Luhnow isn't going anywhere. Crane mandated they bottom out; that had his fingerprints all over. And the team's deadline for being *in playoff contention* was 2016 with 2017 being the year they expected to be playoff-ready. That's not idle speculation, either; that's first-hand from the mouths of many people within the organization.

Luhnow could not be in a safer position. He is not going to be fired.

Some of you people....

6. Nook

Nook Member

This is absurd.

The Sixers were one of the two or three worst teams in the NBA every single season Hinke was in Philadelphia. He never made the playoffs (it is far easier to make the playoffs in basketball). The Astros made the playoffs last year, losing to the WS champs in a very competitive series. The Astros this season are again in the playoff mix.

Not a good comparison at all.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm wondering if the Astros will be 2 games back in the Wild Card by the time we go to bed tonight with a little luck and weather permitting.

Go Astros!

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It was an honest question. I'm not calling for his head nor do I think it's on the table. He's done an excellent job getting the astros to where they are now.

I don't think it's unreasonable to question if he can switch gears and turn from a rebuilding mentality to a perennial World Series contender.

Sheesh if I can't speculate on message board, where can I?

You got analogy immediately, whether or not you agreed with it.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Nice to see Reed get a couple of hits today. I really hope he turns out to be the player we were all expecting.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros may already be perennial World Series contenders, but we won't know for a few more years. They took the Royals to brink last year. They have the underlying talent to still pull this season out even if it is long odds...even though they could become a lot better in just a few hours. They have the talent to be World Series contenders next season and many after.

It is a message board. Not directed at you, but there has been a lot of negativity assuming this season is already lost and that has affected my posts lately. I can't speak for everyone else, but I love this team and I react poorly to the assumption they are done (or not trying to win). This season is only over when the Chronicle puts out an RIP tombstone for them.

Go Astros!

1 person likes this.
  11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think it's a fair question. I also think, as a couple have pointed out above, the answer is decidedly that it's not going to happen, so not worth thinking about further. And the analogy, while understood, is incorrect in this case.

This thought process is more of an indictment of the firing of Hinkie imo. Belongs in a different forum, but I'll give it 1 thought. As you said, if they brought someone else in here, he would immediately begin trading prospects and signing FAs--which is exactly what Luhnow probably wants to do anyway. In the same way, whoever came into Philly is doing what Hinkie was likely about to do anyway. Luckily, success last season (and relative success this season) won't allow them to even consider making that incorrect decision at this point with Luhnow.

12. HstnSprtsFan101

We need a top of the line starter. Musgrove & Devenski look like they should be a fine 4 & 5 behind LMC & Keuchel. I'm fine with using Mchugh & Fiers in a deal to help acquire one.

1. Archer/Grienke/Sale
    2. LMC
    3. Keuchel
    4. Musgrove
    5. Devenski/Feliz/Rodgers

13. Buck Turgidson

I'd hire you as GM in a minute. How can you acquire topshelf MLB talent without giving up any major/minor league replacements?

14. HstnSprtsFan101

Lmao. I'm not saying that. I'd give up the farm for any of those guys.

Martes, Rodgers, Feliz, Paulino, whoever it takes.. We have enough depth. I'm just saying Musgrove & Devenski pitching so well should allow us to move Mchugh & Fiers along with prospects if needed. Both should have value.

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Keuchel
    McCullers
    McHugh

Musgrove/Fiers/Devenski/Feliz is strong competition for the last two spots.

Counting Fister this club has 8 dependable arms that have earned a starting spot. Pretty good, Jeff

16. HstnSprtsFan101

Papelbon was just released by the Nats

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

He's also been bad this year. His K rate has been mediocre since 2012, he started walking guys this year, and he stopped inducing as many grounders. Pass

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I would say the rotation for next year is shaping out to be McCullers Musgrovr Devenski Feliz/Martes and Keuchel. The Bent Strom hocus pocus with guys who can't throw hard finally wore itself out this year.

19. YaosDirtyStache

Cutting out their awful starts...

Where do you see Reed and Bregman in the next 2/3 seasons?

Could both actually blossom into good hitters, or are we seeing them be what they actually are?

I am so turned off on big name prospects in this game now, the failure rate of these guys are so high that Ill never buy another ticket on a hype train.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My current odds on outcomes for Bregman and Reed:

Bregman:
    Superstar 10%
    Star 10%
    Decent everyday player 40%
    Bench player 20%
    Bust 20%

Reed:
    Superstar 5%
    Star 15%