1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston-area Hiking/Camping

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by STR8Thugg, Aug 21, 2020.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

With COVID preventing a lot of things I typically would fill my weekend with, I've started getting back into hiking and camping on the weekend. Over the past couple of months I've been to several places including Stephen F. Austin and Huntsville State Park, but my favorite by far was Jesse H. Jones Park and Nature Center in Humble.

Camping isn't an option as it isn't a state park, but it was incredible for a day visit. For one, it's completely free to all visitors, and they have a nice layout of trails (most of which are entirely shaded with tree cover). The swamps/ponds are really low right now because it tends to be dryer during the summer, but I look forward to visiting when the water levels rise a bit. I posted a few of the stock photos of the park below because it was a pain to upload my own pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had never even heard of this place until I decided to go. Please use this thread to post pics of your own adventures or any recommendations as I'm always looking for a new place to explore.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've always heard good things about this place but never visited. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my family who digs nature. I may visit after the wife and kids go back to school next week. I definitely need to decompress after having them here for the last 5 months.....

Spent a lot of time at Huntsville State Park back in the day. Miss that place. So quiet and peaceful.

Nowadays, I just do East End Park and the Greenbelt Trails here in Kingwood.

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i grew up in humble and used to go to jesse jones all the time. great place! in the 80's they had a b****in playground and the trails are cool...especially the boardwalk that goes thru the swamp. we would also swim at the sandy beach along the creek.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  4. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

i just have to wait till fall untill i can sleep in a tent in east texas :) hill country might be more paltable. I guess surfside gets windy enough to to not be to hot?

Xerobull likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. Buck Turgidson

No camping, but Armand Bayou Nature Center was very cool, as I remember it. Hiking and kayaking.

STR8Thugg and Xerobull like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Oh yeah, the heat index typically drops below 80 by around 4AM until 9 or so.

Sajan and TexasTofu like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Never been able to sleep in a tent (well) in TX. Humidity, heat and allergies are always the evil trifecta for me. Give me AC at night, and I'll hike and play outside for 18+ hours.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That link I posted is old did the 'Ho Chi Minh' bike trails survive the floods?

10. STR8Thugg

Looks like it's the same setup as Jesse H. Jones. I might check it out tomorrow

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Memorial park has some cool trails. The arboretum just had a major renovation and the trails there are nice.

12. STR8Thugg

Usually go to the Arboretum about once a week now, see a bunch of armadillos, red-eared sliders, bullfrogs... Yesterday evening I was walking through one of the less traveled trails, coming up on the outer loop, and I came across a coral snake. Freaked me out a bit. I've surprisingly never seen one in the wild. It doesn't seem like it's all that common to see them, even though they are apparently pretty common here.