1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston a good place to live?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jan 28, 2013.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

The wife and I have been talking seriously about moving to Texas in a couple of years because we're not happy with New York. Right now, we're thinking Houston because we want to be in an area that has a decent amount of Asian people but not with too many hippies (like what I've hear about Austin). Sadly, Dallas is also in consideration so I hope someone can talk me out of it because I hate everything about that town but can't ignore that it doesn't seem like a bad place to raise a family.

Basically, how is crime in Houston? I know there's lots of burglaries. Any really nice areas that you guys can suggest that I check out? I already looked into Chinatown, but it sounds like it's too close to Alfie or Altie (forgot the name) which apparently is no bueno. Our preference is to be in an area where there are other asians as well since my parents will probably be coming with us.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Try Missouri City or Sugarland

3. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Price range?

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Wrong reasons, but... YES. :eek:

Cost of living is significantly lower. You can buy a large enough home and probably travel a lot less than compared to New York's commute. I know David Letterman lives in Connecticut, doesn't he? I'd hate to live in Galveston and have to travel to Houston. I can barely survive Katy-to-Houson... :p

5. hotballa

not sure tbh. it costs about 600k for a single family in decent parts of Brooklyn (which is where we live right now). Obviously I hope it's nowhere near that much in Houston lol

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well, first of all, I'd say certain parts of Houston are good places to live. Personally, when I settle down and buy a place it will likely be in a nice area just outside of Houston - The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Friendswood, etc.

As far as high Asian population... I would guess the Medical Center area.

::EDIT::

If you're able to spend ~$600K, then you're likely to find a place just about anywhere in Houston. West University (near Rice and the Medical Center) might be a good place to look.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

1. A lot of folks from New York are just considering moving from there to places in the South...Houston isnt a bad option.

2. There is a large Asian community: predominantly in the suburbs of Houston ie. Sugarland

3. Houston, just like any other big city is gonna have crime. Perhaps not as bad as in NY, but we are the 4th largest city in the nation...crime happens and can happen anywhere.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Try Pearland or Friendswood because of newer, more affordable housing. A steady infux of Asians since 2006.

Houston is now a sellers market in terms of Housing so if you see a deal you should get it ASAP.

9. hotballa

Sugarland seems a bit too much metro for us. I should have said we're also looking for more suburbanish feel

10. hotballa

good lord, average temp is 70s from October to March in Sugarland? Why the hell would anyone move from there?

11. REEKO_HTOWN

It doesn't matter where you live in Houston. It's hot and humid everywhere. Prepare yourself.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

it is suburban...have you been to Houston??? Nothing is really metro about the city... Ive been in NYC... and people that move down here are so surprised how things are just spread out...after being cramped their whole lives, it feels good to have a lil bit of space...

For about 600K...you can find a really nice spot, and be well secure in lots of suburban spots... Sugarland is just one of the larger Suburban spots...

13. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

OP is truly a hardcore LOF ;)

14. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Sugarland is what you are looking for.. Thats pretty much all of Houston temperature wise it is 70 right now in Houston

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Because it's Sugarland.

If you want burbs, I'd suggest anything WEST/NW of Houston central. It's growing very fast and there are plenty of Applebee's and Chili's in every shopping center.

#15 LonghornFan, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

You are moving from the North to the Gulf Coast...its hot and humid during the summers...and mild weather during the winter...if your looking for nice weather as a reason to move to Houston...this isnt the place for you...bc you and ur folks wont tolerate the heat...and Dallas is just hotter

Consider places like California(around San Fran etc...) if weather is really a concern

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I would recommend Friendswood, Pearland, League City if you are looking for newer homes in a nicer area. It is a bit far from Downtown Houston, but you'll get a suburban feel for sure with houses ranging $150,000-$450,000

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

New Katy is blowing up.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I liked living in Houston, but most people I know have moved away, me included.

Here are some points:
    -Summer heat sucks
    -Cheap place to live
    -You get to see the Rockets live
    -Play pick up ball with Cfers
    -Jeremy Lin

20. REEKO_HTOWN

AKA Shaptown's pocketbook. The Thugs take what they want, when they want.