1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston 2010 football schedule

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ryan17wagner, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

OK, Houston Cougars football fans, it's safe to start making your plans for the fall. Here's the 2010 football schedule:

Sept. 4 — Texas State, TBA

Sept. 10 — UTEP*, 9:15 p.m. (ESPN)

Sept. 18 — at UCLA, TBA

Sept. 25 — Tulane*, TBA

Oct. 9 — Mississippi State, TBA

Oct. 16 — at Rice*, TBA

Oct. 23 — at SMU*, TBA

Oct. 30 — at Memphis*, TBA

Nov. 5 — UCF*, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)

Nov. 13 — Tulsa*, TBA

Nov. 20 — at Southern Miss*, TBA

Nov. 27 — at Texas Tech, TBA

* denotes Conference USA Game.

Five opponents that played in bowl games last season. Three opponents from Bowl Championship Series automatic qualifying conferences. Six games at home, six games on the road.

Four of those home games come in the first five games.

Two of those home games will be televised by ESPN.

On Friday nights.

ESPN will carry a 9:15 p.m. game against UTEP, which gave UH a 58-41 beating last season, on Sept. 10. ESPN2 will televise a 7 p.m. encounter with UCF, which handed the Cougars a 37-32 defeat last season, on Nov. 5.

"It really is an amazing jigsaw puzzle that you try to put together," UH athletic director Mack Rhoades said, noting that the school had a 13-week window this year — instead of the usual 14 — to fit in the 12 games.

One of those pieces to the puzzle is butting heads with Friday night high school football. In Texas. Rhoades pointed out that the Conference USA television package contractually requires a certain number of non-Saturday games.

"If you look across the country now, football has trended where there are games basically every day of the week," Rhoades said. "We are very sensitive to high school football on Friday night, especially in the state of Texas and certainly Houston. But we also understand that high school football games in Houston are played Thursday nights and Saturday nights and Saturday nights as well.

"We weigh that and the opportunity to be on national TV on ESPN and ESNP2 with 100 million viewers and the positive for your program. To do that selectively can be real beneficial."

Rhoades touts the Friday night games as an opportunity to create a special on-campus event. It also means that UH won't be butting heads with a litany of other televised college games on those two Fridays.

"It can be a great opportunity for our university and our program," Rhoades said. "I think we're fortunate our program is in a place where ESPN is wanting to spotlight us on national TV in those select windows."

UH coach Kevin Sumlin's take on the schedule?

"First of all, I think this is a great home schedule for our fans," Sumlin said. "Second, we have two nationally televised league games at Robertson Stadium, which will show how competitive Conference USA is and give us some national exposure in the process. Finally, we will be stepping out of conference to play opponents from the Big 12 (Texas Tech), Pac-10 (UCLA) and the SEC (Mississippi State).

"I think all these factors provide a challenging schedule for us as a program, and a rewarding one for our fans."

http://blogs.chron.com/cougars/2010/03/cougars_football_fans_can_star.html

2. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I smell a BCS bid and a Heisman winning QB. EAT 'EM UP!

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I got a bad feeling about this...

4. Poloshirtbandit

I'd really like to make the UCLA game. Not sure I'll be able to though. :(

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I can't wait for us to run the table after losing to Aquarena "State."

6. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I can't wait. The UCLA game should be interesting.

7. Poloshirtbandit

wait wait wait... 9:15 PM ESPN game? Man that game isn't gonna end until 2 AM.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Yeah... we love to play games that start one day and end on another.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I think Houston has a real chance to win that game.

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

This will be the season that propels the Coogs to the Big 12.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

If UT and A&M leave, then sure. Maybe.

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Last game of the season could cost us a BCS bid. Won 16 in a row at home and I dont see us losing at home this year either. Besides Tech only game worries me is the UCLA game.

13. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

very excited about friday night games
    tailgating will start at 5:05pm
    a little late perhaps for the UCF game
    about right for the UTEP game

14. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I always wondered why schools like UH, Rice, and TCU aren't in the big 12 while Baylor, Iowa State, etc... are. Conference alignment has to do with a lot more than just football. Even from a football revenue perspective, if UH can't add more TV revenue than it will take(Another mouth at the table), then it's not worth the Big 12's time. Because the Big 12 already owns a big piece of the Houston TV market(Through UT, A&M, Tech, etc...), I doubt UH/Rice joins any time soon. Same can be said for TCU and DFW. Also, Rice doesn't fit in from an academic perspective, while UH/TCU definitely don't fit in from a non-revenue sport perspective.

15. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Eat em up Coogs! I just hope our defense picks it up a bit this season

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

With the Tier 1 campaign going strong, Tech and UH would be wise to tie themselves together at the hip for whatever conference realignment comes about.

Hopefully this new-found football series will help sow the seeds for that.

17. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Hardest game at away against Tech and UCLA. They should do really well against everybody else.

18. Poloshirtbandit

Seems like the toughest conference games will be at home, so Coogs at least have that working in our favor.

Robertson needs to be at least close to being filled on a consistent basis before any BCS conference would look to add. We're headed in the right direction for attendance, but still have a way to go.

19. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I may be taking a roadtrip to Lubbock for the final game. (hopefully not the REAL final game, as there should be 2 games left after that (Conf USA Championship and National Championship game)

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Is that UCLA trip any more difficult than the trip to Miss St. last year? I think UH has a good chance to start strong and be in AP top 25 after the UCLA game.