1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House wants to stay in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

I am not mad at House for using his leverage a little. We know in real life we have to fight for decent pay. I think I saw that the three years he was offered weren't garunteed, but I could be wrong. He is betting on himself. I think he has showed this season that he can be an NBA player. I believe they can work this out. Glad to hear that he wants to be here.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Haventt you said a few days ago you already said goodbuy to this season?

ryano2009, sammy, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  3. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Yes...there's a long term...hopefully.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't even care gif.gif

Vivi, BigMaloe, xaos and 3 others like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

Brace yourself, bud...

steddinotayto likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

House is brain dead if he really thought Rockets were going to give him full MLE.

Ridiculous.

Vivi likes this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

the obvious compromise is a 2 year deal...

House finishes out the season...
    if he excels - then Morey has trade bait for the offseason...
    While House can work his value for after next season...

3 years at the min seems to be the sticking point...

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

"My agents told me the House always win"

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  9. kjayp

I just posted this in the other thread (CP injury return that included Feigens take on the House situation...) I figure I'll drop it here as well..

I'm not wild about the Feigen write up on House...

He covers the 2 sides views on signing a long term deal fairly well... Rox want a long min contract and are willing to guarantee the money - vs House wants more $ for a 3 year commitment... standard stuff...

but he kinda seems to gloss over the finer points of converting him...

"He wanted only to have his contract converted to a standard deal for the rest of this season to become a restricted free agent this summer or if he would sign for three seasons, to get all the mid-level exception money the Rockets have left. The Rockets would not go for that and did not want to sign a player they consider a developmental player only to have him potentially leave when he develops."

If we convert him - he's still a restricted free agent... so whether we convert and play him or leave him in the g league... he's still a rfa....

This whole "we dont want to develop him if he's just gonna leave" seems to me to be lip service to me... we had no prob 'developing him' while he was on a 1 yr 2 way and getting paid 77K... matter of fact, we had so little problem with it that we exhausted all his NBA eligibility time... lol. We typically got no prob signing guys to 1 year contracts - even if they could potentially leave in the offsesaon... GG, Rivers, Faried, Edwards... So yeh, I aint buying all that...

So basically, the concern seems to be that if the Rox convert House... he is going to 'outplay his contract' and get priced outside of our comfort zone in the off season... thereby leaving bc we wouldnt/couldnt match a higher offer...

So either A) he plays really well for us and gets higher offers or B) he doesnt play great and he's still available to us on the cheap during the off season...

and then there's C... we convert him and use him as needed. Have him on hand as a fall back... As guys come back from injury just cut his minutes back. If we are fully healthy for the post season, I dont see us using him as the rotation shrinks anyway...

If worst comes to worst (injuries) and he plays crazy minutes and uses the Rox 'as a spring board'... then it would be bc we needed his contribution...

so it appears to me... is the risk of potentially raising Houses value (by utilizing him when we are in desperate need) and potentially losing him in the off season, worth getting the benefit of a high level contribution this season... (i say high level contribution bc if he plays at a low level then he isnt raising his value...)

the term 'all in' comes to mind...

;) lol

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Does that make Ryan Anderson a genius for asking for $80 million.

kjayp likes this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Why would the Rockets offer this deal??

Worst case scenario for Houston is to convert to a contract and get his RFA. See what team offers more than a min deal in the off season, then match. Should that not work out and he takes his QO it is still 2 more years of him (this season and next!)

Fact is that he is an undrafted guy trying to break into the NBA and Morey believes you earn your stripes via a rookie style deal (3 yrs at 2nd round salary).

Sure we might end up with 1-2 Ls more by waiting, but long term I prefer this approach for the sake of the team, not the individual.

I bet he comes around (Capelan style) and is playing again in a few weeks. Every day he holds out he loses $$ anyway.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Word.

13. kjayp

my understanding (and i dont claim to be Bima Thug so i could be wrong...) but even as a rfa we do not have bird rights... meaning we can only match an offer via avaiilable cap (none) or with our available mle - which we will prob need to retain Rivers....
    Thats why Morey wants a longer deal than the straight convert... bc he knows ow he may not be able to match for House and retain Rivers... or whatever other plans he has for the mle next year...

joshuaao likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We can match up to $2m/yr — his “Non Bird Rights”, unless we dip into the MLE, which Rivers and Faried, and possible other buyout signings, might compete for, as well us other teams’ free agents.

If we get him to sign for rest of this year and next year (ie 2yrs) we will have his Early Bird rights and be able to sign for 105% of league average salary, which is plenty (over $9m).

Morey wouldn’t want to do that, versus locking him up at minimum for 3yrs, but could be a compromise. imo, the compromise is 3yrs at slightly more current remaining MLE, if you want to lock him up to avoid an earlier payday using Early Bird, as mentioned, assuming there is enough MLE left after buyouts are done.

#154 heypartner, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    joshuaao and kjayp like this.
  15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

The Rockets might pull that 3 yr guarantee off the table if he doesn't decide soon. They might just offer the 3yr non-guarantee. He better think fast.

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Has a 2 year guaranteed been mentioned by anyone in any offer?

I’m assuming it has by the Rockets and turned down by his agent.

17. Mr. Space City

not good enough to justify all this drama.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Also my understanding - but who exactly is offering more than the minimum for a career 50 gamer who played Gleague most of the year?

I don't see the upside for House in playing for Gleague cash the rest of this year and then the minimum next year (assuming he gets a team and is able to fight to win a roster spot)

We have some awful options at starting F, plus injuries, which is what gave him a chance in the first place. Plus we legit play two small forwards, which not all teams do...

The longer he waits the worse imho - what if Morey gets a James Johnson + Ellington trade?!?!

hakeem94, D-rock and kjayp like this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

House reaching Melo GOAT page status.

Os Trigonum and hakeem94 like this.
  20. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

House needs to do risk assessment. If he don't play this year, maybe no chance for NBA. Also 4M for 3 years is better than many new players, does he has confidence to get 4M for 2 years in next season? He needs to use his brain to think about it. Houston needs small forward, if he goes other team, it doesn't have place for him. Does House wants to get champion in hometown? House needs to think about it. Does he want to become another DMo, demo gets more good statistics than house and finally lose job in nba.