1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hou Chron] Rockets players accept responsibility for start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tim562, Dec 6, 2005.

1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Didn't see it posted anywhere.....

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3505137.html

Dec. 6, 2005, 5:04AM

Rockets players accept responsibility for start
    Burden shared after Van Gundy blames himself

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Then it was the players' turn.

A day after Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy did everything except pound himself in the head with a two-by-four, the guys who wear the short pants and fancy sneakers and actually run up and down the court took it upon themselves to put it upon themselves.

The burden for the Rockets' 4-12 record, that is, and the responsibility for the showcase product at Toyota Center looking like something that's been stripped down to the frame and left perched on cinder blocks.

"We as players have let ourselves down," said Dikembe Mutombo.

It doesn't come much more succinct than that. The question is how it got to this point so quickly in a season that was filled with such promise just a month ago.

Tracy McGrady's being on the shelf for eight games with back problems didn't help. Neither did losing — maybe for good — Bob Sura out of the backcourt. There are new players to work into the rotation, test tubes in which to pour different combinations and develop new chemistry.

"Last year we had the same situation," said Yao Ming. "This year we just let it go.

"The winning is not coming to you, because you are just sitting there and waiting. You have to fight for yourself.

"Last year we (came back and) got 50 wins in the whole season. But it is not just about waiting for victory. ... We have to do the same thing as last year. We have to work harder. It is not about missing shots. It is about effort.

Hammered home
    "Over the (first) 16 games, we were really not ready for this season," Yao said. "I don't know if it's too late right now. But we really need to start right now."

If it hadn't already been clear that something fundamental was missing through the first 15 games, it was evidently hammered home in Saturday's desultory 90-75 home loss to the Memphis Grizzlies.

"Pretty much one through 12 can look at themselves in the mirror and say they haven't been putting it out there on the line for the team, doing what it takes to win ballgames night in and night out," McGrady said. "The inconsistency of each individual, and that's why our record is 4-12.

"Is 4-12 crazy? No, it's not. We're where we should be. When you put out that type of effort — where you're not smart, when you're inconsistent — you're gonna lose. That's what's going on."

McGrady says it's his job to make things right, even if his nagging back still is not allowing him to play at the top of his game.

"Despite having that setback, I still have to go out there and be smart, be aggressive and lead this team," he said. "It's on me. It's on my shoulders to go out and lead this team and get them back on track."

Old stories
    Just in case anyone got the impression this is new ground, Van Gundy did a little digging through the personal history books.

"All of our players have had rough periods in their careers," he said. "McGrady, Juwan (Howard), David (Wesley) and Derek (Anderson) have all been 1-20 at some point in their career. (Jon) Barry, Moochie (Norris), Stromile (Swift) have all been 2-20 at some stretch of their career. Ryan (Bowen) and Deke (Mutombo) have been 3-20, and Rafer (Alston) and Lonny (Baxter) have been 4-20.

"Hopefully, they will have learned from experiences of the past and be determined to be determined individuals.

"When you ask people why a group fails, they always talk about group things. But the truly introspective person says, 'It's me.' Because that's the thing that's most easily changed."

Now that everyone except the dance team has taken responsibility, the Rockets will find out how easily starting tonight with the Celtics.

fran.blinebury@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockets notes
    Barry may return

The Rockets could take another step toward getting their full complement of players back on the court if Jon Barry reacts well to going through his first full practice on Monday. Barry has been sidelined since Nov. 25 with a bruised left foot.

"If Jon comes back in (today) and feels well, I don't see why he couldn't play," said trainer Keith Jones.

Barry said he has used his time on the bench to assess problems. "I want to take it as a positive when I do get back that I look back at how poorly I played at the start of the season," he said. "I want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. I've taken notice watching what's going on. I think I have a better understanding of what Coach ( Jeff Van Gundy) wants."

Rafer Alston, still not practicing with the team, went for another doctor's exam on his slightly fractured fibula.

Glover released
    The Rockets released injured guard/forward Dion Glover, a move likely made to create a roster spot for former Kentucky forward Chuck Hayes.

Hayes, who played for the Rockets in the preseason and on their summer league team, has been playing for the Albuquerque Thunderbirds of the NBA Development League, averaging 10.6 points and 9.4 rebounds per game.

Hayes, a 6-6 power forward, was MVP of the Portsmouth Invitational camp before the draft and a first-team SEC pick and SEC Defensive Player of the Year as a Kentucky senior.

Glover, who played five seasons with the Atlanta Hawks, hurt his right knee on the first day of Rockets training camp and had microfracture surgery last month. He had a non-guaranteed contract, but because he was released while injured, he will be paid until healthy.

Toys for Tots
    The Rockets are teaming up with the United States Marine Corps to help support the Toys for Tots Program. Fans are invited to bring new, unwrapped toys to Toyota Center for tonight's game. They will be collected at the door by Marine Corps representatives, and fans will receive a dove-shaped ornament in return for their donations.

Headed west
    After tonight, the Rockets will take off on their longest road trip of the season, playing Sacramento, Portland, Golden State, Seattle, the L.A. Clippers and the L.A. Lakers.

FRAN BLINEBURY and JONATHAN FEIGEN

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Does this article seem as meaningless to you as it does to me? "Not ready for season!?" What is that about? Excuses amount to nothing. Personnel decisions, bad. Mix of personnel, bad. Chemistry, bad. Performance, bad. Shooting, bad. Coaching, bad. Bottomline, bad. Solutions, unknown. End result, more losses.

3. zzhou

zzhou Member

Talk is cheap, the players need to act on what they are saying during the games ahead.

4. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm glad to see the players take responsibility but I'm wondering whether the older players have enough left to come back and be competitive. Heart is great but when your body can't do it anymore it doesn't matter how much heart you have. I know from personal experience of trying to compete at a high level in a physically demanding sport into my 30's and when your body starts breaking down there's not much you can do about it.

I've been thinking that what we saw last season was that we were fortunate enough to catch players like Sura, Barry, Wesley and Mutumbo last effective season and now time has caught up to them.

5. solid

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its looking more and more like the rockets caught lightning in a bottle last season. to dawson's and van gundy's credit, they didn't sit on last season's team and addressed some issues with alston, anderson, and swift. it just hasn't worked out so far. its still early.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly

I hate this self depreciation crap

ooooo It is my fault. . I need to work harder. . I blah blah
    I don't need you to SAY It . .. I need you to DO IT

To me . . .this is crap that SOUNDS GOOD
    Sounds 'classy'
    sounds like what you are 'SUPPOSE TO SAY' in order to be seen as an 'STAND UP GUY'

Rocket River

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

isnt this a line from a DMX song?

9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I believe it's an intro to one of his albums, it's then followed by a curse word and automatic weapon gunfire. :D

10. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Great. We've assembled a team of pathetic losers. ;)

11. dabien1

dabien1 Member

lol what a Dang'ol remark. This team is just flat out in trouble.

I really don't know how JVG is going to "inspire" them to buy into his system and stick with it to turn this Dang'ol around.

We'll just have to wait and see.......

12. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Bingo! :p

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup, I'm pretty sure DMX was the first person to ever say talk is cheap.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

If they would put as much effort into their play on the court as they do in finding excuses, this team wouldn't be 4-12...

I'm just waiting for them to dust off their old standby excuse: "If only we were in the Eastern Conference..."

15. solid

The lamest of all. Last year is looking more and more like the last few drops squeezed out of a group of aging players. For many of us it was the beginning of a new Hakeem era, but we were wrong. You always said C.D.'s poor personnel moves and ridiculous contracts (Moochie, Taylor, Cato, et al) had put the Rockets in a bad position, now they appear to be in an even worse position.

16. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I am tired of the talk. I've heard way more than enough in the past month or so. Show something on the court. Doesn't Chron get tired of publishing the same old crap again and again?

17. dabien1

dabien1 Member

They would get rocked by the Eastern Conference. Rockets cannot beat anyone at this point. PERIOD.