1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hou Chron] Rockets, Morey forced to hurry up and wait

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mav-Hater, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Didn't see this. If already there, Lock

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/07/rockets_morey_forced_to_hurry.html

With deals going down all around him, and especially with the other Western Conference playoff teams now that the Hornets have made their first roster move of the off-season, the question seemed pretty obvious and easy.

Would you be disappointed if you go into training camp with the roster as it is?

Daryl Morey paused and considered his answer, unsure if he would use the word "disappointed" but certain he was too determined to make changes to accept that he might not.

Finally, he said he would not be disappointed with the roster itself if it does not change, but because he has been trying to make moves and will keep trying, he would be disappointed if nothing clicks.

"You're always trying to do better, but I don't think disappointed would be the word," Morey said. "We're continually vigilant to upgrade. We're at a somewhat stable point. We feel like we can be competitive. We're always looking for the next step.

"I think we're going to have a tall task ahead of us to be a playoff team. I think that is the goal for us. The history of teams with no all stars making playoffs is pretty limited."

Some of that might sound like standard GM talk. But for the Rockets, the goal has changed — from being a contending caliber team, to just making the postseason.

For Morey, the job for the remainder of the off-season has become as difficult as it is clear.

The dramatic increase in optimism in the past month about Yao Ming's future has heavily influenced Morey's thinking going forward.

He will not strip-mine the roster to start over next summer. The only way he could chase a max free agent, or someone paid close to it, would be to let every possible contract expire. Tracy McGrady, Luis Scola, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Kyle Lowry, Joey Dorsey and Chuck Hayes could be allowed to walk. Morey could trade Shane Battier for an expiring contract. And then, he could see who would fill all that open salary cap space with someone eager for the right to play with Yao and David Andersen.

He's not going to do that, knowing that few big-money stars will rush to the honor of keeping the ship from sinking.

He is also not going do anything to prop up the Rockets for one Yaoless season.

That's why things have ground to a halt. It would not be difficult to dump salary with the long-term in mind. There are salary dumps all the time, no matter how many times teams insist they really are better by getting rid of players they had previously labeled stars. (How exactly do the Bobcats and Bucks tell their fans they have gotten better when they were just telling them how great it was to have Emeka Okafor and Richard Jefferson?)

As the upper echelon of the Western Conference has demonstrated, there have been plenty of short-term moves to have been made.

The Rockets' evolving situation, however, has made them determined to make moves that fit not only with the team they have become, but also with the very different team they believe they will be again heading into the 2010-11 season.

When Andersen and rookies Jermaine Taylor and Chase Budinger sign, the Rockets will have 16 players under contract. While the Spurs and Mavericks have loaded up on free agent role players, the Rockets have been quiet.

"It's more we're in patient mode," Morey said. "We're trying to add players through trades primarily who help us win now and in the future. It does put a higher bar on the moves. They are a little more rare. We're not trying to move any contracts. Now that we have a pretty good sense Yao will be back next year, definitely the plan is to put a team around Yao for next year, and be as competitive as we can this year."

That brings us back to the original question. Would he be disappointed if there is no deal?

"History would say other moves are coming," Morey said. "It is less likely this is (the) roster.

"If we could add all-star-caliber player, that would be a home run. Teams don't give them away. To outperform expectations, we need one of our players to play at an All-Star level or Mac to come back and play at that level, or a trade."

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I couldn't have imagined this was the team going into Training Camp..A move is coming and it wouldn't suprise me if Battier was the main player from our end.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd rather be patient knowing we can't contend then messing things up just to MAYBE get to the second round next season. The long term is more important.

4. Garner

Garner Member

Well said my man. I'm not one for tanking, you should always go out, every night, with the mindset to win.

However, I'm alright with looking at the 2009-2010 season as tryouts for the 10/11 Rockets.

Patience is a virtue....or something like that....

In Morey we trust.

2 people like this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Morey is diplomatic, but relatively "straight up" at the same time. Not easy to do. He admits that the team as currently configured likely won't make the playoffs. At the same time he suggests he is hopeful of an upgrade, but isn't certain one will occur. Morey is slick. I do disagree with the idea that Yao is coming back next year and the team can be built around him. I think that is a long shot and a very risky strategy.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey has spoken like this before. I remember an interview from 610 or one of the other local sports radio stations. Basically, I think he's saying, "I want to trade for an All-Star. If I can't trade for an All-Star, I'm not making any trade of consequence."

Which makes me think Amare Stoudemire or (less likely now) Chris Bosh.

Still makes me think he has to wait until September to trade Landry, who can kibosh any trade before then if he's not partial to it.

Or that he wants to wait and see how Stoudemire's surgery will turn out before commiting to a trade and long-term $$$.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Contrary to the sentiment in this thread, from my perspective, the comments in that article seemed to indicate that the likes of Shane/Scola aren't going anywhere and they hope to tread water until Yao returns.

If that article can be taken at face value, they'll trade McGrady and continue on their charted course, but they aren't blowing it up.

And that would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

8. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

He's probably hoping that the Heat crash and burn and Wade asks to be traded or he's walking.

9. dexkk

dexkk Member

Only time will tell.

10. Raven

Raven Member

If Morey doesn't think he can clear the space to lure a franchise player next Summer, and if he was no intention (thank God) of slapping a one year band aid on the roster, then there's only one other option available that will make this team a contender in 2011 and that is landing a high lottery pick and hoping we strike gold.

11. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Morey will take care of us when the time is right and he is the one who his hands firmly on the nutcracker and not the other way around!! I am sure most GM's think we are desperate to trade and Morey is in a compromised position. If CD was at the helm, I think a move would have been made mortgaging our future but making a splash.

12. thacabbage

There were 3 possible courses of action which Morey could take.

1. The Band-Aid route: This would entail re-signing Ron and chasing the likes of Antonio McDyess for a run at the 8th seed.

2. Complete Rebuild: trading off Shane and Scola for young players and completely reshaping the roster with the assumption that Yao would never return.

3. Treading water: Holding onto vets that fit their original plan (Shane and Scola) while making deals that would improve the team, but not necessarily for the long term (ie: trading McGrady to improve the team.)

#1 was seemingly the most popular course of action on this board and undoubtedly the most foolish. Thankfully, this will not occur. My guess was that they would be taking route #2, but this article points towards route #3. For what reason is there "dramatic increase in optimism regarding Yao?" (as the article stated.) Is there something I didn't hear about? Is he suddenly no longer 7'5 and 300 pounds?

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Again, this is a perfect chance for McGrady to come in, and give us a GOOD season.

If he is healthy and he feels no pain in the knee, he can SURELY do that. Even though he's not having Yao Ming, he can still make us forget about last season and give us a ride to the playoffs.

Battier for a star would also be good. (Maybe M. Redd?)

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I don't know, Solid. My gut feeling is that the surgery will work and Yao will be able to continue playing. But you are right: I would not build a team around him - I'd welcome having him but I would no longer consider him to be the foundation of my team as he is now. It's just too risky to depend on Yao and from what we've seen this year, the NBA looks to be moving away from big slow players at center.

15. redao

redao Member

Morey needs to make him mind now.

It is time for rebuilding. no other route.

16. komac

komac Member

I agree with you except the part with Shane. I think right now he's our only good bait for other teams. It will be a real pity to trade him, though.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think Morey is on the lookout for any possible long-term improvements to be made, but he is resolute in his refusal to make a bad, costly deal and steadfast in waiting to see if Yao Ming returns before making plans to blow the team up.

Basically, he's being patient.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's hard to "continue on their charted course" after trading McGrady. Simply as a matter of McGrady's $23 million contract, whoever comes back will likely change the course of the franchose quite a bit-- even if they do hold on to Scola and Battier.

Another way to see it is to "continue on the charted course" until a good trade presents itself for McGrady [Or someone else... but McGrady's got that big contract]. They can begin to move the roster around once they know who they have in place of McGrady's salary slot.

19. dexkk

dexkk Member

I don't think it's a matter of having "dramatic increase in optimism towards Yao." The fact is, Yao will be under contract until 2011. If we continue to improve by trading tmac, increase experience for our young players, and get good draft picks this upcoming season; we can contend again with a healthy Yao. Resigning Yao or not is not even a topic at this point because he still has 2 years left with the Rockets.

Morey is a GM for a business organization. The team needs to be in contention as much as possible to maximize profits. He's not going to put a "band-aid" on this team; more like a big surgery while keeping the head intact.

20. thacabbage

By "continue on their charted course", I mean to continue following the blueprint that they seemed to be following before Yao went down: to keep the nucleus in tact but trade McGrady to make improvements.