1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hou Chron] Murphy returning ready to tackle radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tim562, Jun 30, 2007.

1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Didn't see it posted anywhere....if its hidden somewhere, lock it up!!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4930711.html

Murphy returning ready to tackle radio

By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Calvin Murphy will return to the Houston airwaves July 16 as host of a one-hour show from 6 to 7 p.m. weekdays on KFNC (97.5 FM).

"I'm back," Murphy said Thursday afternoon. "And I'm feeling real good right now."

Murphy will have a few weeks to learn the nuts and bolts of running a solo radio show before basketball season, when he will host pregame and postgame shows on the station.

"When you're looking to expand your local programming, specifically a pre- and postgame show for the Rockets, you can't do much better than a local legend who played for years with the franchise and is in the Hall of Fame," said Jon Madani, KFNC's program director.

And just think of the promotional possibilities: Guess the color of Calvin's suit and win a $50 gift certificate.

Radio will be a new challenge for Murphy, but, he noted, so was television.

"This will be the same thing I got from Bill Worrell — on the job training," he said. "It won't be that much of a transition. The only difference is that people won't be seeing my suits. I still have the knowledge of the game and all the particulars you need. I'm anxious to get out there and show my knowledge in a lot of different areas."

2. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Good News!

Hopefully this will be a 1 season thing and we see him back in the broadcasting role side by side with Bill in 08-09.

3. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

oh yeaaah this is awesome!!!. lets show him some support and maybe theyll boot lame drexler and bullard for the ultimate return we've all been waiting for.....

WORRELL MURPHY DUO!!!

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

It's about damn time. How are you going to blacklist a Rockets legend forever?

Congrats Calvin. Hopefully this will mean a future tandem of Bill and Calvin again.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I get the feeling most of the shows will be about Aaron Brooks. :D

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Awesome!

I'd love it if he was on the TV broadcasts again.

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm suddenly craving some cookies! :D
    Bring Calvin Back!!!!!!!!!

8. LFE171

LFE171 Member

biggest splash this offseason. that, and mike james. :p

9. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

About time he got a break!

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

About damn time, they should have given him a year off to deal with the accusation crap instead of firing him, he clearly didn't do all that stuff anyways. Murph is back!

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Can never forget the classic Calvin antics :D. I know Les is a Jew, which is why he doesn't want Calvin back, but damn Les, look at Air Bullard and Clyde The Glyde? What are they doing for your viewers these days besides producing boring broadcasts?

and even if he did, it ain't no big thing. everyone deserves a second chance. all i care about is what did the man do in the broadcast booth? that's all that matters.

12. rocketsmetalspd

The Rockets organization should do the right thing and bring Murphy back to tv. I have missed Murphy, he was one of the reason I would get NBA League Pass.

13. The Hungarian Rocket

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Awesome! I'd love to see him take over and be on the Rockets radio team once Foley/Peterson retire.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i thought i read something from clutch that insinuated calvin didn't want to come back to tv either. kind of a mutual decision from him and the rockets?

man i would love for him and bill to be back together though.

16. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

It's at least a good tryout addition since Jim and Gene will only be on the air one more year.

I think Craig Ackerman and Murphy would be a solid duo on Rockets radio broadcasts.

17. The Hungarian Rocket

I'd love it.

18. rocket3forlife2

good so I can watch the game and listen to the radio before and after the game.

19. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Good news! Things just haven't been the same since he left. I hope he does make it back to the TV broadcast.

20. Navman

Navman Member

Watching the Rockets on TV will be enjoyable once again! First we get Adelman's uptempo (not to mention more pleasing) style and now we get Calvin's uptempo and hilarious commentary!