1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Hot Lanes' ?? HOV question...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Mar 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, I have tried Google, and I have tried looking on the Metro website.. and none of it addresses a specific question I have about the 'HOV Lanes', specifically the 'express' type HOV lanes on 290 out past 1960 (between 1960 and Barker Cypress).

According to Metro, certain times of the day, the HOV lanes are considered 'Hot Lanes', meaning that a person with an EZ-Tag can ride on the HOV lane as a single-passenger vehicle, and simply pay a toll at various points along the way.

That's fine, I get that.

My question is about the part of the HOV lanes which are those 'express' type lanes, the far left lanes, the kind you can get into and out of at any time (not like on I-10 which are sort of blocked off).

I work in that area, and every day as I am driving home, stuck in the traffic, I see car after car whizzing by in the HOV lane, but which only have the single driver in them. This annoys me on a certain level, because it feels like those people are just blatantly disregarding the requirement that the HOV lane vehicles have 2+ occupants, it's like they are 'cheating', and also causing massive slowdowns up ahead when the lane finally merges into the regular lanes.

But maybe my ire is misplaced? I also have an EZ-Tag, but have never thought that those types of lanes were open to single-occupant vehicles with an EZ-Tag. I can tell that SOME of the cars whizzing by have an EZ-TAg, but it certainly doesn't look like all of them.

So, does anyone actually know the real rules on this issue? Does EZ-Tag allow you the privilege of using the 'Express' version of the HOV lanes on that freeway in that area?

Thanks guys - this has been bugging me for weeks now.. hopefully someone here knows the real deal.

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

It costs anywhere from $1-$4 to take the HOV and pay toll.

3. Nero

Nero Member

I know that. But there is no toll lane or toll device once the lane becomes the 'express' type of lane after it hits 1960 and is no longer a separate walled-off lane.

My question is whether or not, at THAT point, the EZ-Tag allows you to simply get onto the 'express' HOV lane as a single-occupant vehicle.

4. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I cant speak for that one specifically but I use 59N HOV.

In the AM its HOV only until around 8, then its $1-$2 for Toll Road Access. In the afternoon its open for both but its $4.50 for Toll around 5, but if you wait until 6:30ish its $1-$2.

We only have 1 lane, but at 2 different locations the road widens into 2 lanes, 1 for HOV and 1 for Toll.

Here is the HOT lane information i could find for 290
    http://www.ridemetro.org/Services/HOTLanes/US290HOT.aspx

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've always wondered about that 290 HOV lane. It looks like you can just ride in it and then get back on the freeway before hitting the toll booth. I think that's what the OP is wondering too?

If you get on before 5, it's only $2.50 - which is why I sneak out of here at 4:30 every day. :)

I really wish they would make it toll in the early morning too, but I understand why they don't.