1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horns vs. Cougars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Smokey, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Wednesday, June 13
    Houston's stadium not big enough, Texas says

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Kickoff is more than three months away, but the University of Houston and the University of Texas are already fighting over the site of a football game between the Cougars and Longhorns.

The Sept. 22 game is scheduled to be played in Robertson Stadium on the Houston campus, which figures to be sold out weeks in advance.

There's only one problem, from Texas' point of view: Robertson holds only 32,000 fans, a far cry from the 80,082 capacity at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, the Longhorn's home field.

UT officials pressed Houston to move the game to the spacious Astrodome, where the Cougars used to play all their home games, and San Antonio's Alamodome has offered to host the game.

Houston said no to both options.

"I have no interest in moving this game off campus," Houston athletic director Chet Gladchuck told the Houston Chronicle. "We just moved our games back to campus. This is about loyalty to our fans, our alumni and ticket holders. The entire exercise was about coming home, about having our games where they should be played _ on campus."

Houston plans to add 10,000 seats to Robertson Stadium for the first three home games of the season, including the contest against Texas.

Still, the payday from a 30,000- or 40,000-seat stadium is much smaller than one from an 80,000-seater.

Houston hopes to recoup some of the lost opportunity by turning the football game into the centerpiece of a larger event that would draw the city's attention for a couple days, including a barbecue cook-off, a big concert and a football-skills competition with a grand prize of new Ferrari.

"An event like this can help reawaken the echoes here; the associations, the connections, the relationships people have with this school," Gladchuck said.

Houston is also using the Longhorns' game to help sell tickets for games against Rice and Texas Christian. To get a reserved seat for the UT game, fans must pay $90 for a ticket to all three of the games.

Local businessman Jim "Mattress Mac" McIngvale has promised to spend $200,000 to promote the UT game and surrounding events.

"Let's face it, UH has an image problem, but that can be fixed," he said. "People don't know how beautiful that refurbished stadium really is ... when they do, it will blow people's minds."

---

This will be a big event for the University of Houston so I have no problem with the game being played at Robertson. However, forcing Texas fans to purchase a $90 Texas Trifecta is crap. I think Rice and TCU fans have to buy this package as well.

Any of you Rice, TCU, or college football people living in Houston wanna split the cost?

------------------

2. haven

haven Member

It doesn't strike me as being fair to Texas, either. Houston's refusing to move to a venue where both teams would make more money, *and* they're taking advantage of the prestige of UT to sell more tickets?

And then they talk about wanting to repair their image? Whaaa?

------------------
    Lacking inspiration at the moment...

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

A question I would have would be: Where was UH playing when UT agreed to play this game> If UT knew when they made the agreement that the game would be played at Robertson, then it seems a little crummy to be complaining about it now.

But if UT thought the game would be played at the Astrodome when they made the agreement, then I could see their point because they're getting something less than they thought they'd be getting.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    Film Dallas.com
    AntiBud.com

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Speaking as a grad of both, this is typical UH bullcrap. But, they've got a right to do what they want to do. At least this means the Cougars will have 3 "sellouts" this season.

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

UT has a history of crap like this (the whole Hawaii thing last year).

Shut up and play the game.

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

UT knew the stadium situation when the game was scheduled. Colleges pride themselves on the "home field" advantage. Why should UH move a game so that UT can have more fans? The obvious answer is money, but UH is willing to live with 40,000 max per game.

------------------

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but U of H is in the wrong on this one. They should play this game in the Astrodome. That way, everyone who wants to buy a ticket can, and they don't have to buy a damn "trifecta" for games they have no interest in seeing. All they are doing is screwing the public.

Remember...Gladchuck rhymes with schmuck!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

UH, from what I've just read anyway, is not in the wrong here. If that is UH's campus, if that is UH's stadium, then UH should be playing their games there. You're asking somebody to move their home game off-campus so more money can be made? That's crap. If UH wants to start building some tradition instead of being the "step child" school of every other major school, having games on-campus is one step in the right direction.

------------------
    "Now it is more clear that it doesn't make sense." -- HeyPeeism at its convoluted best.

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Yeah, but until very recently, UH played their home games at the Astrodome. Since arrangements are made many years in advance, it could be that UH's home stadium was the Astrodome at the time the agreement to come to town and play was made.

That's why I asked the question.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    Film Dallas.com
    AntiBud.com

10. haven

haven Member

Will the homefield advantage actually mean anything? I mean, Texas is supposed to be contending for the national title this year... while UH has been rebuilding forever it seems. Once, this would have been a game... now it seems like a good way to make money for UH.

------------------

11. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

32,000 seats????

There are high school stadiums that have more seats. I bet that is the only game all season that fills the stadium. Houston has more than an image problem, they don't have a football team either.

------------------
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

12. Smokey

When the 3 game series was signed, the U of H was playing a majority of its home games at the Astrodome. I think last year was the first year the U of H played all of its home games at Robertson. UT did not specify the Astrodome as a condition. Since this is a U of H home game, I have no problem with Robertson.

Robertson is a controlled atmosphere. The U of H would face a hostile crowd (basically another road game) at the Astrodome or Alamodome. Chet can guarantee himself a majority Red crowd at Robertson

Is the U of H interested in money?

Absolutely. The trifecta is an unfair way for the U of H to make up some of the losses from not playing in a larger building. Plus the U of H can bill this as the return of big time football.

I would love nothing more than another spanking. I don't think they have forgotten 48-0.

------------------

13. Cougar Brass

Cougar Brass Member

UH began playing at Robertson in '98. UT signed a contract to play the game in an expanded (from 18,500) Robertson. They knew this was coming. I remember UH fans saying how UT would probably back out or try to move the game when it was our turn to host.

Regarding the Texas Trifecta. This is NOT the only way for UT fans to get tickets to the game. Individual tickets will go on sale August 1.

Yes, Robertson is small but it really is a good looking stadium and every seat has a good view. Considering that we played so long in the dome and just returned to campus in '98 the stadium is coming along nicely. When we moved back it was still only sat 18,500. $10 mil was donated in '99 and it was expanded to 32,000. And there are futher expansion plans that would bring capacity to 53,000 when we get the money and the demand. It would add upper decks and a new fascade to go with the new endzone facility that should be built shortly. Here's a link to the renderings.

http://uhcougars.fansonly.com/genrel/robertsonrenovation.html

------------------
    PS - This is what part of the alphabet would look like if there were no Q and R.

[This message has been edited by Cougar Brass (edited June 14, 2001).]

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

speaking as a ut incoming freshman-i could careless where they play the game-the outcome wont change and thats a ut romp. Being from houston and knowing some guys who go to u of h, ill find my way there more than likely, however i see the outcome of this game very similar to last yr maybe worse.

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

15. Cougar Brass

Cougar Brass Member

I don't doubt UT will win handily. But I don't think it'll be AS bad as last year. Hopefully, now that we have a coach that is actually willing to recruit Texas we can regain the level we once were. We might give ya'll a good game in '02. Of course, if UT overlooks us like they almost did with Rice a few years ago we might win this year. UT seems to blow one sure win a year(NC State, Stanford), I hope it's UH this season.

------------------
    PS - This is what part of the alphabet would look like if there were no Q and R.

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

this should be the yr where we dont blow any, honestly-our hardest games are at a&m and ou-but both those teams wont be as good as they were last yr ferguson and toombs gone from aggieland, heupel and marshall-ous leaders last yr are gone

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

17. Smokey

If UT is gonna blow an easy win, it will probably be against North Carolina and not Houston. Some of the Tarheel players were recruited by/played for Mack Brown. UNC holds a grudge against Brown and will have something to prove. Obviously on paper Texas shouldn't have a problem, but with Brown coaching nothing is a given. If the Horns come in after Week 1 overconfident and looking down the road to their matchup versus OU, its gonna be hell in Austin.

------------------

18. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

UT has a history of crap like this (the whole Hawaii thing last year).

What similarity do you see between the Hawaii situation and this one?

19. haven

haven Member

Smokey:

Is Mack Brown really that bad of a coach? He's delivered three fine seasons for Texas - 2 more than Mackovic ever did. I only get to watch about 3 Texas games per year because of regional games, but I've never seen any PARTICULARLY boneheaded calls... although the quarterback situation was mishandled.

So, what's the grudge against the guy? I wish BC'd go 9-3 next year [​IMG].

------------------

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

haven, the problem is that Mack is given credit for outstanding draft classes - seems like top-5, year-in and year-out. So he gets blamed for the fact that the draft success hasn't translated into a top 5 program on the field. He also is one of the highest paid coaches in college football. Add all that to the traditionally high expectations placed on UT football by the fans and especially its powerful alums.

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.