1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hornets shelve Kaman

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jan 27, 2012.

1. srrono

srrono Member

stevekylerNBA Steve Kyler
    The asking price for Kaman according to teams that have called is an unprotected first round pick this year and a young player

Rockets should avoid this like the Black Plague.

2. Garner

Garner Member

bahaha, no way jose. Morey will offer; Thabeet, T. Williams. a conditional 2nd round pick (top 55 protected), Yi Jianilian's chair, and a bag of fritos.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That may be the only way they get that 1st round pick and young player they are looking for (if they also take back a bad contract). Stearn and NOLA are becoming the worst team to work with their laughable requests.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think the Rockets front office needs to tread carefully on this one. Should they pursue, YES, but should they make an hard offer first... NO. You dont want to repeat Gasol Trade 2.0.

Let Demps know that they are interested and the trade can revolve around the Knicks draft pick. Given that the pick is a must in a deal for Kaman. Obviously thats what NO would want the most. Then at the last minute, you finally discuss players involved.

If the trade centers around the Knicks pick first and foremost, the Rockets should have an edge in negotiations.

As far as top 5 protected picks go, NO will have a hard time finding a more valuable one amongst the teams willing to deal for Kaman given that bottom feeders like the Wizards wouldnt even fathom giving away one of their lottery picks.

-Now to the most important question... Is the Knicks pick worth Kaman...? It probably is but that is debatable depending on the angle you are coming from. However, Kaman would be an expiring contract, and would likely sign with the Rockets in the offseason on a decent contract if they can make a playoff run this year.

Are the Rockets really going to get great value for the Knicks pick???... the value now is great, but if the Knicks turn their season around then the the pick have litte value as a late 1st rounder. I believe the Knicks have too much talent and will somehow, someway find themselves in the playoffs this year.

I say trade the pick for Kaman, then discuss the package of players coming with. Pick between the 09 draftees firstly. Shouldnt have to include Patterson in order to make the deal work. The Rockets should still have the best offer on the table without.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Stern is an embarrassment.

6. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

I wouldn't give up either of our picks for him. I'd offer Scola, thabeet, Twill, and possibly next year's draft pick if they still want more, but that's the most.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im not sure why you would rather give up next years draft pick instead of this years Knicks pick??

-The Knicks pick, as great as it looks right now, when its all said and done, will be a late lottery AT BEST, but most likely it will be a late first rounder. I know the Knicks look bad right now, but the East is terrible this year, and with that much talent, I would be shocked if they couldnt pull it together at some point this year.

-Plus this years draft is projecting to have a very good top 8, but the talent drops off dramatically after that. Many analysts are picking the "middle class" to be very week this summer.

-Also, the Rockets will most likely be bringing over Donatas Montejunas, plus multiple 2nd round picks.

If the Rockets feel confortable that they can get Kaman to agree to a conservative contract this summer, then I think he's worth this years pick.

-Only way I throw Scola in the deal is if your NOT giving away the draft pick. Giving away Scola, plus a draft pick would be too much IMO.

8. valorita

valorita Member

A young and a late 1st round pick is the market value of a veteran contributor who is expiring. (See Battier - young = thabeet + 1st round pick)

HOWEVER!
    Kaman is has an iffy health record and his salary is $14MILLION
    you can't really get a "young" and a pick for that salary because it takes 3-4 youngs put together to make that kind of trade work moneywise.
    also, the NYK draft pick is worth way too much to be involved in a deal with Kaman unless we get a pick back from N.O.

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

And why would they want our 2009 busts for Kaman. As if they cant get better player then Flynn, T-Will, Hill, Thabeet.

Kaman is a 20/10 threat when healthy and comfortable with his surroundings.

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^ Because Kaman is benched indefinately while NOLA goes full on tank. That's a 14 million dollar cheerleader you've got riding the bench. They want youth. Our 09ers are all young and some have value. Plus it would save them a mill or so. I don't see any GM giving them their asking price so it just has to beat the other offers. From the possible 28 other teams, I dare say 1/2 don't want to deal with Stern and the remaining has to have both a need a C, 14 or so million they are willing to part with in players AND they must be young AND not overpaid OR they must be expiring. Not an easy formula as most don't want to give up good youth for Kaman.

Personally I think that's a fair offer. And if Stern said no, I wouldn't cry about it. Take it of leave it.

11. srrono

srrono Member

IamaGM IamaGM.com
    Hornets asking price for Chris Kaman includes a young center, salary-cap space and draft picks dlvr.it/17s0FK

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Great post. Completely agree. We always say sell high, buy low. I also feel the value of knicks pick is as high as it can get. It's hard to believe the knicks won't turn things around in the lowly east.

Of course it all depends on how much value our FO sees in a 15-20th pick in this supposedly "deep" draft.

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

But then again, if you were morey, would you take the risk of trading away a potentially 6th pick in a deepest draft in years? Think about it. If things stay bad in NY and we trade the 6th pick for one-year rental of caveman, i'm sure fans will be calling for morey 's head. I would'nt take the risk if i were the GM.

14. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

Hill > Kaman

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Check! Check! Check! Git'r done Daryl!:p

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hornets welcoming back Chris Kaman

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...nets-take-chris-kaman-trade-market-source-say

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Where does CK's trade value meet the demands set by the team's owner, King Commish?

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Why cant Stern fine his own team for tanking? Oh I see. Its because its David Stern.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I really don't understand how you could basically take someone off the roster and not think I've got to trade him ASAP for the best offer. Putting him back in the lineup will not help the offers unless he starts putting up DH type numbers and I don't see that happening. In fact I actually think the offers get lower. The interested teams have already made their best offer. Now they know that NOLA has until the deadline to move him or lose him for nothing, because after the deadline, he'll be back on the shelf getting paid to watch TV and play golf. Even the 09ers have more value to NOLA than Kaman's expiring.