1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horizon Deepwater

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, Apr 29, 2010.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Post-Valdez, a nice little law capping liability was passed. Anyone wanna guess who lobbied hard for it? Anyone? Bueler?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For me this is the most disturbing thing about this disaster that BP didn't seem to think something like this was possible. Going off of the interview with the CEO he made it seem like something this was so unprecedented that there were no contingencies.

I was neutral in regard to increasing off shore oil drilling and believed that we had the technology and safeguards to do it safely but this incident has changed my opinion.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

And no one could have predicted that somebody might hijack a plane and fly it into a building.

This excuse from everyone from W and Condi to Greenspan to BP to Wall Street is really getting old.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't work in or follow the oil industry that much but given that a similar accident happened in 1979 it seems like the oil industry should've had developed contingencies. From an outsider point of view it seems like something like this was in the realm of possibility.

Pardon me for the tangent but something like this is making me very skeptical about expanding nuclear power. I've always been skeptical but had been swayed by the arguments that new technology was reducing the problems with waste and making nukes very safe. I presume BP had given the same reassurances regarding offshore drilling and Massey regarding deep coal mining yet in the last month we have seen three disasters.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

BP for $1000, Alex.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

How are they planning to drop that huge 40 foot dome structure on the leak if the rig is blocking the way? Is it possible Paul Noel doesn't have all the facts and is talking out of his ass? Why would they even waste this time with this structure to try to contain the leak and pump the oil up to a container ship if the rig were blocking access to the leak?

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I would say that Mr. Noel is a tad alarmist....

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

because that oil is still worth a bunch of money

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

like i said i know very little about this subject, but i my dad works in the oil industry and is a mechanical engineer, he told me last night that they believe the casing between the pipes is leaking the oil, so the shut off valves do nothing because the oil is not coming out of the pipes its coming out from AROUND the pipes, so now they are going to try and put a bubble around it to capture as much oil as they can, while simultaneously drilling a relief well to lower the pressure on the reserve.

10. rimrocker

There are three leaks. If it is successful, the dome will cover one.

11. rimrocker

FYI...

12. rimrocker

Doesn't look good...

13. rhadamanthus

14. rhadamanthus

I think BP is going to have the lion's share of blame...but halliburton had just finished cementing the well 20 hours before it blew. Very interesting.

From the la times:

15. rimrocker

We are doomed... if the responsible parties say 40k, I'm thinking it'll probably be more than that.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

We might be witnessing the straw that breaks the fossil fuel industry's back.

17. rimrocker

Everglades... coral reefs... damn!

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

How? You won't "break the fossil fuel industry's back" until the WORLD stops using oil. Not just you, not just hippies, not just America...but the WORLD.

You think China is going to stop their economy because of an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? You think people will stop flying planes and using plastics? This is a horrible accident that will have a major impact. It'll get cleaned up, new laws will come into place, some places might even ban offshore drilling, but to think that this will destroy the industry is reaching pretty far.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

America's doing so would be the start of it.

20. CGroveStapleton

Well my oh my it will certainly be interesting to see what becomes of these developments.

BP can do no wrong in the Middle East no more! :rolleyes:

Tsk Tsk.