1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horford disappointed in teammates' size

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Yeah he is.

You're underrating Milsap quite a bit. He's very clutch, a good defender, good rebounder, can shoot well. He's been close to all-star status PF for quite some time in Utah. Milsap will have more impact to the team then Asik.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

out of available players, he is likely the best non star player. take love/bosh/aldridge out of the equation you are left with millsap/ilyasova/anderson. likely in that order as best value and player.

you can likely suck a pick or prospect out of the deal but its a good basis of a deal.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I tend to agree.

But the argument against is that there are far fewer players that can do what Asik does at the 5 then what Milsap can do at the 4. This has some merit. But, Milsap fits what we need well at a price that doesn't bankrupt us.

4. BigMaloe

this is true and its a position of advantage during negotiations that morey can take.

you can tell ferry, look i can go get ilyasova, anderson or others. these teams are willing to add picks and/or players to sweeten the deal. i would like millsap but i dont mind ilyasova and get more value back with picks and players.

it creates a bidding war. asik will be highly sought out after, and he'll be very much available. dominant defensive centers that are legit 7' dont grow on trees. solid shooting pf's otoh do...

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I really like Asik. We had a massive hole at backup center without him.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think you are underestimating Millsap. The advanced stats crowd rate him right up there with the elite PFs. That may or may not be 100% accurate, but he is very good. Most very good players are elite at one or more skills, and average to below average in others. The elite skills stand out, so people understand their value. Millsap on the other hand has no discernible elite skill, he is just very good at everything. From passing to defense to ball handling, he doesn't really have a weakness. But without an elite skill people have problems correctly valuing him. Being 'undersized', though with long arms, doesn't help either.

If you look at pure impact on the game Millsap = Asik.

If you look at value, Asik is worth much more than Millsap because defensive centers are so rare, and because Millsap is perpetually underrated.

And if you look at their impact on the Rockets, it isn't close.

35 minutes of Millsap > 20 minutes of Asik. Plus a much better fit next to Dwight.

If we weren't contenders, or so close to a championship roster, I'd want Morey to hold out for fair trade value for Asik. But we ARE close, we are right there. It might be the case now where Morey has to forget about full trade value and just do what helps the team most now. Because like he keeps saying, a championship window is precious.

Asik + Dmo + Jones for Millsap + Ayon maybe sign Jason Collins afterwards for 3rd string

Just my opinion, and people might not agree with this but: this trade does not make the Rockets contenders, it makes the Rockets FAVORITES to win it all.

2 people like this.
  7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

None of those other players play defense like Milsap, as clutch as Milsap, have a contract that still keeps our 2015 cap space open, rebound as well etc etc.

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

And Paul Millsap's RAPM is extraordinary. Right behind Dwight Howard. He is IMO one of the most underrated player in the league. How he got paid so little on such a excellent contract (2 years) is just baffling.

1 person likes this.
  9. BigMaloe

one of the most underrated aspects of the underrated millsap, is his underrated contract that is very favorable.

#49 BigMaloe, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not baffling at all. Even with the influx of advanced metrics in today's NBA, there are still enough GMs who'd rather rely on PPG, REB, height.

Try explaining to your fan base why you just signed this 14 and 7 dude to the max. Good luck with that. It might not be right, but it is what it is.

#50 CXbby, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

When (not if; inevitable, yes?) OA is swapped it will be interesting to see what the Rox greatest need will be.

I like PM. Asik is better in many ways.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

In what way is Asik better for this team specifically then what Milsap would be? Millsap gets to the freethrow line alot, very efficient, much much better offensive player, excellent defender for his position. For this specific team, I would trade Asik in a heartbeat for Millsap.

13. BigMaloe

inevitable yes. and hev will be dealt, morey is too smart to squander value and production being lossed by having him on the bench. i dont think backup 5 will be a big problem because i think morey will target a suffecient backup somewhere somehow.

say something like we asik to atlanta. atlanta sends us millsap and schroder to cleveland. cleveland sends us tyler zeller and a 2nd.

very easy for morey to acquire a backup 5, as the league is full up back ups, just not many quality starting centers.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Let's remember this is Al Horford. He was disappointed in his long-time girlfriend and fiancée so he dumped her and got married to Miss Universe a week later.

You don't want to disappoint Al Horford.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You don't want to disappoint Miss Universe.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think ATL has to give us a bit more than just Milsap for Omer.

Milsap+future first that is lottery protected is fair I guess. Like the idea of Brand in the deal.

Milsap+future first+Brand for Asik+Terrence Jones.

17. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Horford needs to quit b****ing about playing C. Gasol did it, Bosh did it, heck Chuck Hayes did it.

18. VBG

VBG Member

You guys are insane if you think you're getting more than Millsap for Asik.

19. Sanity2disChaos

I think I was one of the first, if not the first, to say the rockets will trade Asik to the Hawks for horford......makes tooooooooooo much sense for both teams.Horford would make jones expendable(I think he goes with Asik to become j.smoove lite) and Dmo can play off the bench....Horford can play center so he could easily give Howard a rest...

Lets stay tuned!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Asik to them makes sense, but I would rather have a future first with whatever else we get in return.

DD