1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hoopsworld] Rockets believe they are still in contention for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apatel123, Jan 9, 2011.

1. disguyman

disguyman Member

No extension, No Melo, most teams are saying this.

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Most? Well it certainly is a big "most", cause Houston is the team thats keep the term "most" instead of "all".

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17052890?source=rss

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

We've been out of the race for months, I don't expect us to ever get back in it.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

We'll be the most stupid team in history if we do this trade, and he leaves in the summer for NY. Also Melo is so overrated, Denver is just milking everything relying on Melo's hype.LOL he can't make the Nuggets relevant, how is he supposed to make an inferior team better.

1 person likes this.
  6. seeingred

seeingred Member

i guess we do this only if we feel that what we get from NYK > what we give to Denver. that would be tough because we'd have to break the bank to get him here and NYK doesn't have much to offer outside of randolph and turiaf.

if, however, anthony would consider New Jersey... favors, first round picks, humphries or petro... maybe have them absorb brad miller... might be a way to move our wings and PG's for bigs while getting younger.

7. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

Remember all those rumors about Bosh coming to Houston... yeah it still stings

8. eugeniu

eugeniu Member

HEADLINES

1.Nets, Nuggets Close on Melo?
    2.Source: Melo Will Sign Extension in NJ lol :D
    3.Rockets Could Still Be In Hunt For 'Melo <----

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

What he said

10. amaru

amaru Member

and I still believe Oprah wants to be my sugar momma :rolleyes:

Its over, nobody wants to play for a team that blows leads on a regular basis

11. pge71188

pge71188 Member

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If the source of this rumour came from the Rockets f/o, then they have lost a lot of respect from their fans. Nothing like a b/s especulation to stir up fan excitement in the mist of a lousy losing streak.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We still have a better record and a better team than the Nets. ;)

14. delta69er

delta69er Member

Let's face it guys, the only chance that we had of landing Melo was if Yao had stayed healthy and shown signs of his previous dominance. With Yao gone, the team being EXTREMELY mediocre, and Melo's personal preference(s) being New York/New Jersey, I highly doubt our ability to land him.

Now, let's face the reality that is our 16-21 team and cheer for our guys nonetheless. Hopefully, we can land an All-Star caliber player with our stockpiled assets, but if not, let's root for our young guys as they mature into great NBA players

15. delta69er

delta69er Member

Thanks John Madden

16. Sanity2disChaos

EXACTLY....... :confused:

17. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I've always been a Texan. Now a real Texan. Part of this is a dream come true. It couldnt be better for me. I'm gonna do my best and work my hardest to put us where we want to be.

Talk about your staff?

Trying to put a staff together. Got some places to fill. Gary and I will interview some guys.

You have worst pass coverage in league. What will you do to improve it?

It all fits together. Pass rush also has something to do with it. It's the whole group. Easy to blame it on one group. It's the rush and coverage. We'll be sound technique wise. That's the way I've always done it. 1 step at a time. Put in coverage, work it until you get it, then go into another coverage. I've had teams where we put in coverage one week and werent ready to go on. I've also had it worked in 3-4 days and worked out. A lot of these guys have played different coverages. We emphasize technique.

When you watch 15 game films, when you see the secondary and players, how do you feel about the youth and will it be hard to teach?

One thing you have to do is play the best players. If they're young, so be it, you play them. If old, you play them. Youth is no excuse. It's playing your best players and making sure they can play that coverage.

Bob McNair said after watching film, you thought you could make improvement and not much additional personnel is needed.

Whatever Bob said is right. I agree with what he said. I've been in this situation before. My experience in that area, we have the personnel to do better, but sure, we could always use bigger, faster, stronger players. You wont have all stars at every position. You raise the level of their game. Bad to good, good to great, etc

How much have you watched Mario and what to expect of him?

We've had a few players in the Pro Bowl. Mario has outstanding talent. You want to utilize your best players.

Biggest concern?

I dont know that if I have a concern. We have plans. Gotta see what they can do. Like I said, gotta utilize their talents. Depends on weaknesses, how fast or slow they learn things, etc.

Definitely a 3-4?

Yeah, I think so. I've been successful there for a long time. All it is your front 7. Coverage is the same in both 34 and 43. You get more in the 3-4 and more pressure in the 3-4.

What are your biggest needs?

I dont know exactly. Gary and I are looking at film now. We're looking at what players can and cant do. Until we hit the field, we'll see.

You've done this so many times before. Expectations is to win and win immediately.

I havent been anywhere else expecting to win.

You see where I'm heading. You look at what is done upfront. What do you see that you need that isnt here?

I still gotta look at guys. I dont think you can say right now until you know for sure. You always though do look for good players.

With uncertainty of CBA, is Bill part of your staff?

Definitely. I had a lot of coaches that I've come in with that only coached 4-3. Good football coaches are like good players, you can fit them in.

What did you do to help Bruce Smith in Buffalo?

To sick 'em. Go get 'em Bruce. Not easy to do as it sounds but you gotta let them go. Let them make plays. Let them utilize their ability. Your best players - you have to feature them and put them in position. That is the chess game though of how you set them up. Bruce was special. I had 2 - Reggie White and Bruce who are by far the best. Hope to coach one more.

Missed exact question but regarding Mario and the 3 technique?

Not talking about 3 technique. We're talking about rushing the passer, and movement wise. Thats what we did with Bruce Smith. Whatever Mario can do, we'll utilize that.

Talk about coming back to Houston?

Houston is special to me. Grew up here. Went to college here. First NFL job was here. At that time, I thought I was a great coach and we'd be here the whole time. Didnt work out that way. I came back to where I wanted to be.

You caoched some big NTs. Amobi fit that mold?

Coached some small one's too. Jay Ratliff not that big. He's probably Amobi's size. Again, we played different techniques with guys. Depends on what each player can do.

Your role in the draft?

Havent talked to them about it yet.

How many years have you signed up for?

We dont go into contracts. Happy to be here. They took care of me money wise. My wife is happy.

When you left Dallas, did you have expectations of being a DC again somewhere?

I didnt know. When you get fired, 29-19 in Buffalo and I'd think they take that right now. Similar now. It's perception more than reality. I've won a lot of games but I dont see me being a Head Coach again because of perception.

What is that perception?

When fired, perception is because he didnt win. 34-22 a lot of people would take but thats the way it is.

What do you like about Cody and Mitchell?

In 4-3 you have more D-linemen. I dont think we have enough to play a 4-3 and good players but enough for 3-4 group we're we can have solid players.

Cody and Mitchell on the nose?

They can play football. It wont be a big change for them or any of those guys. Nose Guard easier to play.

Couple games lost this year, Cowboys and Giants, Texans were outphysical-ed. Challenge coming into the AFC? Will you bring more physical attitude?

When you lose, they always outplay or outcoach you. I've seen a physical team and some good licks and hits. One thing I saw, those guys played hard. They pursued the ball, after the ball every play. Thats the first thing you look for is effort.

Have you spoken to any players?

Not yet. I did see Ryans this morning. I'll talk to some more.

Talk about your schedule going forward?

I'll be here rest of week on specific things regarding our D. Also, I'll be going to East-West game next week. I'm committed to doing that. Doing that, you get to work with college players. Get some ideas on some of those players. How smart they are, their competitiveness,etc. It will help us some on scouting, knowing them. Times we coached the Senior bowl, we found some things out that you probably dont find out in the draft. Looking forward to it.

Because of the labor situation, if no full TC or OTAs, is that an issue for you?

Not as much in that we teach things quickly. We can implement it quickly. It's a player friendly D. We want them to know their assignments. I take care of the complicated issues. I dont forsee it being a problem.

You touched on variety of things. Thoughts on working with Gary?

Excited. I've admired him. Tremendous player he was. He was always ready to play. Coach the same way. His teams will play hard and keep fighting. That and....his offense is as hard to stop as anyone we had played. Looking forward to working with him.

What about Nnamdi Asomugha and how he might fit in your scheme?

Will not talk about players under contract. I have some money in my pocket but I want to keep it.

18. Sanity2disChaos

PHOTOSHOP WORKS WONDERS!!NOW CAN WE PHOTOSHOP HIS A$$ OUT OF IT UNTIL HE PROOVES HIMSELF AGAIN..... :(

19. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

wrong thread...push me off a cliff and ban me

20. Relentless

Relentless Member

Fixed for you