1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hoopsworld Article]NBA PM: Best Trade Ever? (Scola from Spurs)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OkayAyeReloaded, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Homey the Clown

Rockets haven't won anything yet for it to be the "best trade ever".

2. SunsRocketsfan

why bring up David Robinson??? And since when did David Robinson past away and end up in a grave somewhere?

3. Zfan

Zfan Member

He was a great player when playing in euro. Playing in nba made him even better. This man almost won every trophy as a professional player. Just one nba ring will make him a legend.

4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I dunno...

I think the Pau Gasol trade was pretty lopsided..
    It's delivered 2 championships. Possibly a third this coming year.

5. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Scola and AB could be epic.
    Both are getting better and better.

Add Yao and Martin to the equation, and Scola might get his ring sooner rather than later.

I love our team.
    I'm more excited this year, than the year we had the big three (TMac, Artest, Yao). This year we have a team 10 deep.

6. Dei

Dei Member

I agree with everything else you said but Landry was equally amazing. They were like opposite sides of the same coin. Carl was incredibly efficient with his minutes but it didn't take the defense a lot to shut him down. Scola's more franchise player-like; he tends to pad his stats with minutes and is somebody you can design your offense around.

That said, again, I agree with every other point you made. Scola can anchor the offense of the team. Unfortunately, Yao's probably gonna dominate that role again. I just hope Scola's showing lets Adelman give him a chance. I personally believe our best rotation is:

C - Yao - Hill - Miller
    PF - Hayes - Scola - PP
    SF - Battier - Budinger
    SG - Martin - Lee
    PG - Lowry - Brooks

This way the scorers will be spread through shifts. Screw Carmelo.

7. Ditty

Ditty Member

OMG thank you :eek: someone with some sort of brain

until Scola wins a championship for the rockets I won't regret this trade yet and Scola may have helped us win in 08 vs the Lakers but I don't think the Spurs would have beat Boston that year but thats all and yes he is better than Splitter at this point of his career being 5 years older

8. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

While its easy to jump on the Spurs here, they also need to me congratulated for doing the trade, they could of easily been assholes and just held his rights and left him stuck out of the NBA... Spurs fans will say they should of done it with a non conference rival but still at least they let him get some years in the NBA.

9. Dei

Dei Member

Of course. But you've gotta wonder how the Rockets settled Luis' buyout in a matter of days when the Spurs couldn't in years.

10. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Probably the most amazing thing about this trade is that it wasn't just that the Spurs traded away a player as good as Scola for peanuts, but that he was traded to a division rival. Amazing.

11. Eddy F.

Eddy F. Member

12. includeapmatrix

ya, don't know if its the best trade ever but damn glad it got done. scola's been rock solid for the rockets, can't wait till the season starts again.

13. NBA_Elite

NBA_Elite Member

I still think the Gasol trade is better, that brings the Lakers 3 consecutive final appearances and 2 championships.

14. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Why in the world would you start Chuck Hayes over Luis Scola? That makes absolutely no sense... You start your best 5 every night. This isn't YMCA basketball where 5 sub in and 5 sub out, it's a rotation. Rick is one of the best at developing and implimenting solid rotations. It's probably one of the worst ideas i've seen, no offense.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The spurs were so intent on making sure duncan would remain the best pf ever and missed the boat. Now, loading up scola with lux tax killers didn't help the rockets much because the spurs knew les would never go over the tax and they did draft and stash his replacement in splitter. Scola has been a very good player and a bargain which kinda also tells how far ahead the spurs overseas operations are compared to the rockets. When they can draft scola and manu in the 50's and get parker late first and has splitter coming over, thats pretty good. Really, thats damn good.

P.S.
    Getting maxwell for a candy bar was the best trade for the rockets in my book.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? The definition is best trade ever not "Best trade ever that won a ring". Not every trade should be judged by rings, it should be judged by what you let go and what you received. We let go trash and received one of the best pfs in the league as well as denied the Spurs contender status. That's awesome IMHO.

Technically though, I think the best trade ever already happened: LBJ trades to Miami's got to be up there for most lopsided ever.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Gasol trade was definitely a rape trade however through SHEER LUCK Marc Gasol panned out and made the trade somewhat fair. Had the Lakers not traded MG and brought him over it would have made Bynum expendable. They wouldn't have won a ring the first time however my guess is they would have traded Bynum to the Raptors for Chris Bosh before last season started. IMHO the Lakers would have been a much more dangerous team because Bosh and Marc Gasol would give them the league's best frontcourt for the next decade.

18. jae713

jae713 Member

I'm just glad Scola is on our team. He strikes me as the kind of player that other team's fans hate.

19. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

D.M so you want to be a rocket SCOLA no i am a SPUR WHY WOULD I LEAVE they are a championship team& S.A. is a very nice city w/ great arena D.M. BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BE A ROCKET RIGHT!! SCOLA no i told you why would i leave the rockets it is a championship team&Houston IS A NICE CITY w/ a great arena !!!!!!!! THE OLD JEDI MIND TRICK #1

20. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

dam jazz fans