1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HoopsHype Scouting Report] Breaking down Ricky Rubio

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Jan 11, 2012.

?

Ricky Rubio is....

Poll closed Dec 26, 2012.
  1. ...an upcoming multiple All-Star

81.6%
  2. ...average NBA PG

16.3%
  3. ...overrated player. His early success is a fluke. He's gonna suck in this league

2.0%
  1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

He's a clear favourite to win the Rookie of The Year award so some reports about his game can be useful to fans all over the globe

http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/breaking-down-ricky-rubio

After zeroing in on Ricky Rubio competing against one of the worst teams in the league (Washington) and one of the best (Chicago), here’s the scouting report:

OFFENSE

The young man is simply an extraordinary passer, whether on the run, feeding the low-post, or in generic half-court sets. He has terrific awareness and anticipation, and delivers the ball right on the money – whether kick-outs to open perimeter shooters, or in-traffic dishes to his bigs. Credit him with 15 assists versus the Wizards and 12 against the Bulls. Moreover, a total of 12 passes found open shooters who missed their subsequent shots.
    Since the ball is in his hands so much, it’s entirely understandable that (like Steve Nash) he’s also charged with numerous turnovers – five in each game. Indeed, virtually all of his TOs came on passes that were attempted when the erstwhile recipient was too close (a total of 3 of these), when he forced risky long- or cross-court passes (2), or lobs to players who zigged instead of zagged (2), or made passes behind cutters (2). One change of possession occurred when Rubio was crowded along a sideline and inadvertently stepped out-of-bounds. In all, 27 assists to 10 turns is a totally acceptable ratio.
    Rubio is also a deadly one-on-none shooter – 5-14 and 13 points against Washington, 6-11 for 13 points against Chicago. When on the move, he shoots much better pulling right than left, but when crowded going in either direction he’s liable to hoist up a brick or two.

Rubio’s crossovers in both directions are tight, quick and snappy. He’s not afraid to take advantage of an open lane and zip to the hoop, but again he finishes better going right than he does going left.

He exercise his leadership qualities by taking full command of the offense, often using his free hand to direct teammates to where they are supposed to be positioned in any particular set.

Rubio only fakes setting screens, but will occasionally put his 6-foot-4, 180-pound body on the line by attempting to bump cutters in the lane. Courage is not a problem.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT

Needs better balance when pulling and shooting, especially going left. Has to finish better with his left hand. That’s why defenses are learning to deny him his right hand. Rubio’s on-court communication with his new teammates is sometimes shaky, but this will necessarily improve as the season progresses.

Rubio’s foot- and hand-quickness are top-notch. He threatens passing lanes like a veteran and is also quick enough to challenge passes. Add his long arms, and Rubio can attack the bottom of careless opponents’ dribblings, plus also get a hand upraised to challenge most shots.

He can, however, be beaten on quick power drives – as he variously was by John Wall, Jordan Crawford, John Lucas, Ronnie Brewer and Derrick Rose. Rubio’s lack of sheer strength was illustrated when he tried to derail Wall with a less-than-mighty bump and Wall was absolutely unaffected. Surprisingly, the only opponent who took Rubio into the low-post was Brewer, who had an easy time scoring a layup while also drawing a foul.
    When isolated on the perimeter, Rubio does not bite on fakes and maintains excellent defensive balance and position.

He does have somewhat of a problem in defense of screen/rolls. He would rather go under the screen and rely on his nearby big to offer aggressive help – which usually does discourage the ball-handler from turning the corner and penetrating into the lane. Or else, Rubio will overplay the screen and likewise depend on an earnest showing of his big man. Either way, Rubio is quick to scramble back and latch on to his man.

Sometimes, though, he simply gets crushed by a screen and is taken out of the play.

Against Washington, he scored 13 points and yielded 8 in one-on-one confrontations. Against Chicago, his 13 points were more than offset by the 25 that he allowed – most of these coming in the fourth quarter when Rose was in his attack mode.

Remarkable anticipation, quickness, and the cooperation of his teammates are the keys to Rubio’s surviving on defense.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT

Experience will greatly enhance the things he already does well. But he does need to increase his strength, as finesse will take him only so far against high-octane opponents. However, will any increase in bulk compromise his speed and quickness?

In sum, Rubio gives the Wolves a discernible jolt of energy whenever he enters a game. He keeps his teammates (and the offense as a whole) clicking, makes winning plays and is on his way to being a bonafide franchise player. In other words, Ricky Rubio is a quicker, more athletic, better shooting, twenty-first century version of Bob Cousy.

2. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

He's going to be a great point. Adleman still won't start the guy of course.

3. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

i'd trade our current roster for him.

4. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Not if there's a whiter person out there.

5. lean

lean Member

well I didn't really like the poll choices. I see him being above average but I dunno about multiple time all-star. More along the lines of someone like Andre Miller, a PG any team would love to have but isn't a perenial all-star.

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I am not going against Ricky anymore. He proves me wrong every time I doubt his game. This guy can just make it happen even at the NBA level

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Adelman should start him already.

8. AFS

AFS Member

Conquistador!

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rubio played 36 minutes last game...the "starting" PG got 8 minutes.

what is your point. :confused:

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lol exactly

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I do realize he's getting a lot of minutes and playing nearly all of the the 4th quarter so if it's not a big deal why not have him start the game. Relax, you smug assholes.

12. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

The starting PG got 33 minutes, he just moved over to shooting guard in the second half.

I’d actually agree that Rubio needs to start soon. Wolves were already in a 20 point hole in the first half before Rubio came in.

Rubio needs to set the tone early instead of coming in, exhausting himself playing catchup, and then playing the full 12 minutes of every fourth quarter when teams turn it up to their highest level.

I think they’d see better results if Rubio played more conventional starters minutes.

13. Margrave

Margrave Member

I like how Adelman is using him, letting him come in against 2nd stringers and then get the feel of the game, and finish strong.

He is still getting starters minutes, lord knows Rick Adelman knows a thing or two about good players.

Rubio is special, he will be good for a long time, I think.

14. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Rubio can easily be as great as Steve Nash was in his prime. I totally agree with the author of the article when his talke about Rubio's one on one defense. This is where everybody figured he would be taken advantage of. I've had the opportunity to watch a few games and he is very adequate at reading and reacting to his opponent. This is a guy who could be one of the top 2 or 3 point guards in the game. He is already a top 5 passer in this league.