1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hoopshype] Rockets to offer Sergio Llull a $17-19 million contract over three years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Mar 26, 2015.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Aelliott needs his own "paging" thread. Thank you for finally putting this to bed, Smoove likes it here and re-signing with us would not be a significant financial hit due to what Detroit already owes him.

If anything we need to send SVG a gift basket.:grin:

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

More then likely Smoove is not coming back if he has eyes on one last big contract.

Haven't seen much of Llul but I'm guessing Morey has faith he can ball if he's offering that kind of contract. Morey has been checking out the Euro scene a lot lately.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes it is possible. We have Brewer's Bird Rights so we can exceed the cap to resign him. We are allowed to exceed the cap and sign Smith for 120% of this year's salary (see my explanation a few posts above about how the money owed to Smith by Detroit factors in).

We could use the MLE on Llull.

1 person likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

A 37 year old and a journeyman over 2 young guys with still developing potential? The money lost by cutting these borderline players next season is not significant to lose potential high end assets. Morey is more likely to package combo of these players in a trade rather cutting them outright.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Prig contract for next year is only 290K guaranteed, that's the main reason Morey traded for him.

6. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

6M per year.. not bad

7. basketballholic

Hate to say it.......but if Beverley is out for the season.......and we really think we need to add a player....

makes the most sense to waive Bev. Think about it.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dorsey has been a solid backup C for us this season, I as well as many other have devalued him and joke about him a lot, but he's been solid. He's produced wayyy more then Johnson and KJ. Prigs is a vet and can pass a little, handle the ball a little and hit the 3 without making too many mistakes.

KJ is expiring and couldn't crack the rotation, Johnson can't crack the rotation and right now isn't even worth a second. They're both worthless right now, and you don't bank on potential when chasing a championship over solid bench pieces like Dorsey and Prigs. IMO

9. hakeemthagreat

Prigs & Dorsey only have value because we essentially don't know what KJ & Nick have to offer us. Personally, I'd like to see Nick get some PT

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

If he were unrestricted, I might agree. But since he's a RFA, you don't do it unless there's a "sure thing" out there (there isn't).

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They can keep all of those players you listed as likely to lose & still sign Lull.

Hypothetical:

Lull signs for the full MLE.

Brewer is retained via bird rights.

KJ & Smith both accept the 120% figures.

PatBev is an RFA and they can match his offer over the cap.

KPap is under contract.

They have Terry's bird rights and can exceed the cap in resigning him. It makes sense to retain him with a favorable contract as a trade chip otherwise you lose him and the cap space for nothing.

The only kicker here is that they would have no $$ to pay their two draft picks - the NYK 2nd & the NO pick. Both would have to be stashed overseas.

12. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

you can go over the cap to sign first round picks.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Does he know how to shoot a basketball?

1 person likes this.
  14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

When I read that I saw 17 to 19 per season....and then I died

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Damn, I'm so curious as to why Morey is willing to pay that much. What's the guarantee his game translates over here and he's able to succeed?

16. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

This is it exactly. I think there's an 80% to 90% that a team offers him more money than we are comfortable giving him this offseason. That being said, it's not like we can't offer him our best deal and he can still decide, he'll just miss out on being on the official playoff roster but that's about it.

17. anchel

anchel Member

Thats non tax paeyr MLE money.

My question is if we would be in non tax payer zone even counting with Pat & Corey hold caps.... Cause Im figuring Rockets will try to keep both of them.

18. Houston79Astro

Wish he could come over this year. Would really help harden out as another playmaker.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The price has more to do with Lull's buyout (Lull has to pay it out of his own pocket) and the price he commands in Europe.

20. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

there's no chance he plays this season, correct?