1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hoopshype : howard-asik-combo-will-not-work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Aug 26, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

My answer is simple. Pau Gasol >>>>>> Asik on offense.

So yes, if Asik can become a 20ppg scorer in the post, then I would whole heartedly agree to a Asik/Howard frontcourt combo.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think you are misinterpreting people. I don't think that playing Howard and Asik is a bad idea in every match up. It is just a bad idea in most match ups. Against Memphis it would be a great idea. Against Miami it will never ever work.

3. Grigori

Grigori Member

I think ultimately we may even end up starting Howard-Asik. Considering that our offense worked just fine with an Asik-Smith front line after the T-Rob trade, I don't see how Howard-Asik can possibly have such huge problems as to overshadowing the tremendous gain on defense. Both players are skilled enough to switch on guards and wings (such a huge advantage in today's NBA). It's going to be a nightmare for opposing offenses.

In fact, I think we need a catchy name for this. How about...

Dwightmare on Omer Street

Shudder in fear, NBA offenses. Blood will flow and heads will roll.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

It's not like they're going to start both regularly.... it's merely an option.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Miami isn't the biggest of concerns, what do you think they'll do? Have Lebron guard Dwight? Their most likely response is to go double big (~Haslem).

If Miami are forced into jump shooting with a rebounding disadvantage, I'll take it, of course if Oden is healthy, only acquiring someone like Love or Aldridge would make beating them at all possible.

It's teams like Golden state and OKC with their let it rain 3's at high %'s that worry me.

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Well, we dont need Omer to drop 20 points

I think if he can get us 10 points a game (but hit some outside jumpers and pass the ball well to open up the floor), then we will be fine. 10 pts, 10 rebs from Omer would be great. We will be like the old Indiana front line of Rik Smits and Dale Davis.

7. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

Miami had a hard time with Houston with just Asik playing. With Howard too they would be forced to play close to perimeter. Rockets advantage.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

miami has lebron..

miami advantage

9. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, I'd put Bosh on Howard and Lebron on Asik. Then, whenever Howard got the ball close to the basket, have Lebron bring a double-team and force Asik to beat you. Then on the other end, you need to match Asik and Howard against Bosh and Lebron, both of whom are faster and rangier than our centers. They're still strong on the boards, and can also stretch the defense to make space for slashers. I'm pretty sure we can't run twin towers against Miami -- but then I don't know if there is a configuration that does give us the advantage.

11. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

I agree but was talking about when we played them. When Asik came out they started (Lebron) attacking the basket effectively and killing us. When Asik was in though we could hang with them. They need the lanes to the basket cleared to beat us. With Asik and Howard then is the advantage. Of course if Miami outside shot is falling and ours isn't we are dead.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Stan Van Gundy August 26th 2013

"That’s also led to putting more shooting on the floor, and teams playing smaller, because the only way now to prevent teams from doing those kinds of things [Front the post and bring another guy around behind him] is to put enough shooting on the floor to get those guys [Centers] space."

Translation: If Howard and Asik play together the defense will smother Howard and force Asik to beat them. Asik is not skilled enough nor athletic enough on the offensive end to be much of a threat. And even at the rim Asik is not capable of hitting more than an NBA average number of shots.

#92 jtr, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  13. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

yeah, reminds me of the yao years where we had sura, cato, francis etc.

BUT if Asik develops his wide open jumper, then u would change your mind?

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Don't you think asking the question "Which teams successfully run the classic power forward and center in today's league and what do they have in common?" is more appropriate? Spurs, Griz, Pacers ...

15. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

Feel the same, they have to try it --- but no matter what our bench will be deep.

The season is long and every one will be needed.

16. RikSmits

RikSmits Member

Those were the days.
    The poise to take time for the fake with the clock running down, that's just first class, even if I say so myself. :)

17. Houston22

Houston22 Member

It can work, based on what we have seen this year from Asik moving around the court.

18. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

we should have Smit's teach Dwight and Asik instead of Hakeem

his moves I think are easier to learn but yet super effective

imagine is dwight just had some skills like Smits

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL everyone who's predicting doom and gloom for the offense seems to be exaggerating a bit. The Spurs for example, run a front court of Splitter (pretty much poor man's Asik) and TD, and yet they don't seem to run into these problems everyone seems to be pointing out.

You can definitely argue that TD is the complete offensive player, however skillset isn't really the issue here, it's the fact that the Spurs still have spacing even when they have a twin tower setup. Why is it the Spurs have Splitter (no offense outside the paint) and TD (center pretending to be a PF) both in the paint for majority of the time, and yet Parker, Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard have no trouble driving into the lane? Why is it that opposing offenses can't have their own amazingly quick stretch 4 to take TD off the dribble and make him pay?

If the Spurs can run TD and Splitter with no problem, why can't we do the same with Asik and Howard?

20. afk

afk Member

Oh god, I wish the NBA season started already! :mad::mad::mad: