1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hoopshype : howard-asik-combo-will-not-work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Aug 26, 2013.

1. RoxBro

RoxBro Member

I hope Asik can swallow his pride and come off the bench. This would allow Howard to run the court when he's out there and no drop off in defense when Asik comes in to give him a breather. Playing them together outside of small bursts to get a defensive stop I just dont see it. I could be wrong though.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This would be interesting. I'm sure if it doesn't work it will be because the coaching. I still remember tjones face when he was put in the game, he had no idea what plays to run becsuse there was none.Ball Philosophy is something you believe in like religion and be ready to die for. Is like Don Nelson trying to teach triangle.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Guess who wrote the article?

4. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

It will be the starting lineup (by default), however, you will see their playing time distributed the way San Antonio distributes minutes between Duncan and Tiago Splitter.

Especially early in the season, until he is a 100%, I could see Howard's minutes being in the low 30's. Asik's minutes should be in the low 20's to mid 20's, which is about 5-10 minutes less than he got last year. Hopefully this will be enough to ameliorate his demand to be a starter... Actual time on the court together will probably average between 8-10 minutes.

I'm not as concerned about potential of Asik + Howard combo not working, as I am about Lin + Harden combo, which we know doesn't work. Asik and Howard each affect the game at an elite level without the ball in their hands, whereas both Lin and Harden need the ball.

5. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Hmmm -- as if anyone already knows exactly who is going to be on the floor and when with this team.

They'll experiment with lineups in the preseason and whatever portion of the regular season they see fit, see what works best in any given situation, and go with what works when they need it.

Give 'em a chance to put a team out on the floor for a while and get some actual game time in before saying what will work and what won't.

Jeeze. More signs that people with journalistic outlets have too much time on their hands before the season starts. Gotta keep those gums flappin' to draw attention to themselves.

Just a bunch of prematurely ejaculative speculation.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

My favorite part of the article was hoopshype.

7. cdogg61

cdogg61 New Member

rockket. fan in L.A

I just want to say whether it works or not don't some of you rockets fans think it's funny how they say Ask is so unhappy how we need to trade him or what happen with Dawight in L. A it seems to me writer and L.A fans a like don't want our rockets to succeed so go rockets go

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Hey, watch the cheap shots. :( The writer is 4.

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

It could work. Really, it could.

The problem is that McHale doesn't have enough experience in designing offensive sets that are diverse. D12 and Omer could be throwing oops for one another on the block if McHale simply knew how to space the floor.

It's not that hard and D12 is already willing to work with it.

Can we rent JVG or RA for a little while and have Kevin take notes?

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

IMO, that lineup just wont work. It may serve a purpose for short stints, but it will be game planned against and exploited to the max. Additionally, even if it did work, it just isn't there best lineup IMO. I truly believe that T Jones will shine next to DH.

And... What are you talking about? :confused:

11. cebunit

cebunit Member

Good thing it didn't work... wait no one knows yet as the season hasn't even started. Let it play out and then we can criticize.

12. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Hoopshype isn't the problem.. it's WHO wrote it. I've completely stopped reading anything Eddie Johnson writes because he just sounds like an angry woman who think she's always right. His opinions always sound skewed and then, if anyone comments on his article and disagrees, he acts butt-hurt and lashes back.

13. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

You do realize that Dwight played most of last year hurt, right?

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I believe that it can work in stretches...but if the reports are true regarding Omer Asik being unhappy at the prospects of becoming a back up again, then a trade must be made for a 'stretch 4'...

I know most of y'all are in love at the prospect of bringing over LMA. I wouldn't mind having him & a trade of Omer, Jones, Brooks a Euro or two & some picks could possibly get it done, but I can see the above package being part of a 3 team deal involving the T-wolves where they get LMA & we get us some Love.

It is a win win for all 3 teams. LMA may truly want out of Portland & he fits Adelman's offence perfectly. Everyone knows Love is miffed at the Wolves over his deal, & it's damn cold in Minnesota. Omer solves the Blazers center problem & won't take shots away from Lillard or Batum, T.J. has already made a few close friends in that City & Brooks gets to go home.

I also wouldn't mind throwing in a few more filler for us to get Leonard as well. He is young and athletic, runs the floor & can hit the outside jumper.

Just my 2 cents...

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Of course it won't work. Why invest $30,000,000 in the center position, especially when one of the two players involved will leave when his contract is up?

Morey is biding his time. The offers he probably heard for Omer Asik right after the Dwight signing were lowball at best, b.s. at worst.

When he can get some value, or at least ensure he gets a very capable backup for Dwight, then a move will be made.

The "we're going to experiment lineups and make this work" is all talk for the media to consume. It's true to the extent that "we'll make it work" until the right deal surfaces. No one should pretend Asik is long for this team.

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

If the 2 can help the Rox hold teams to scoring about 90 ppg then it has a chance of working. It's not the best offensive lineup for sure because of the spacing problems but they can score enough points to warrant playing both together for their defense.

17. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

It's funny that he sites analytics as a fad then proceeds to describe the player we need in analytical terms.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hoopshype just re-posts all NBA news and articles. I don't think this opinion should be the end-all-be-all to their website. Look at the original source to find out where its coming from.

As for the Asik/Howard combo working.... this has been beaten over the head a million times on the GARM.

Its something McHale will "EXPERIMENT" with in training camp... the upside benefit is too high to at least not try. However there is nowhere out there where McHale or Morey guaranteed a single minute of playing time with Asik & Howard together.

They can envision sets where they could theoretically play together, but we just have to see how both players and their surrounding pieces play together for stretches.

Either way (working or not working) Harden/Parsons/Lin & the other perimeter players' offense will suffer nonetheless. That's a given. However, However, Howard and Asik could play together effectively depending on how well they are able to pass in traffic... seeing as though the lane will be clogged with bodies it could get ugly in the paint. The likely scenario would be moving Asik to the high post where as he is a better passer, and be able to pass the ball between Asik/Howard/ & the perimeter. This would mean Asik is vulnerable to being left wide open for jump shots or drives if the defense decides to leave him un-guarded. Something that could blow up in the face of McHale.

On defense, the paint will be more than OK. It will be impenetrable. However, the problem with Houston's defense last year wasn't really even points in the paint, it was perimeter defense. Even Parsons had slippage last year in the regular season at times. It was mostly because of their pace which would definitely slow down with this lineup, but putting Howard & Asik together still does not protect them against teams that can shoot the three well.

So, don't count on an Asik/Howard combo to be the end-all-be-all. The best case scenario would be for Jones or D-Mo to flourish at the PF position long term enough to allow the Rockets to keep Asik off the bench for the time being.... allowing them to still be an offensive force, but be vastly improved on the defensive end with their bench, and having a much more stable veteran bench that would keep the starters much more fresh throughout the regular season.

19. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Who cares if it doesn't work. If it doesn't then we trade Asik. If it does then we have a deep playoff team at worst.

Howard Asik
    Harden Lin
    Parsons Garcia
    TJones Dmo
    Beverley Whatever bencher plays the best

Even the 2nd unit can come in and play with most teams and win.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's what I came to say. It doesn't matter if it won't work. If it does work, Asik will play a lot of minutes and we'll win a lot of games. If it doesn't work, he'll play somewhat fewer minutes and we'll win a lot of games. And then, next deadline or in the offseason, or last resort the deadline after, Asik will get traded for something.