1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HoopsHype.com] Horry turns clutch again

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, May 15, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HoopsHype.com NBA Blogs - Eddie Johnson
    Horry turns clutch again
    http://hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/index.php/2007/05/15/horry-turns-clutch-again/
    May 15, 2007 @ 12:48 pm · Filed under Playoffs, San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns, Robert Horry, Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Boris Diaw

Robert HorryRobert Horry has been viewed as one of the best clutch players in NBA history. He has been a part of six championships with the Rockets, Lakers and Spurs. He has made a number of late-game changing shots despite not being a big-time scorer, but Monday’s might be the best assist to win a series he has ever made.

The flagrant assault Horry put on Steve Nash in the Game 4 lost against Phoenix could possibly propel the Spurs to the Western Conference championship.

In one play when the game was seemingly over, Horry could have eliminated Amare Stoudemire, Boris Diaw and limited Steve Nash if he woke up this morning bruised and sore from the cheap shot Horry laid on him. I am extremely disappointed in Horry, but the true colors of individuals will always come to light when faced with embarrassment. Horry basically acted like the guy who brings his ball to the park and didn’t get picked to play, so he takes his ball and goes home.

I understand why he was disappointed. The Suns beat the Spurs at their game and especially when San Antonio thought they had control with an 11-point lead in the fourth quarter. The problem I have with Horry is this is the precise reason why he is considered to be one of the best clutch players ever. He has broken hearts of opposing fans and sent opposing teams to the locker room with despondent thoughts after making late-game winning shots when they thought they had the game won. Now when the shoe is on the other foot, he resorts to taking out the smallest and most important player for the Suns. I wonder… If that was Kurt Thomas, would he have sent that message to him?

I must admit Horry was one of my favorite players, but only based on his unselfishness. Suns fans have never liked Horry, though, because he forced a trade to the Lakers after the Suns acquired him and Sam Cassell from Houston for Charles Barkley. I will have a hard time understanding his meltdown and why a player who had no impact or confrontation in the game causes such an uproar at the end of it.

Because of it, the Suns are in deep trouble if Stoudemire and Diaw are suspended. Stoudemire’s argument is that he was checking into the game. Well, we will see if Stu Jackson believes that argument and what he decides.

Is it fair? No way. Will it be an even tradeoff, Horry for Amare and Diaw? No way. The league has a zero tolerance policy for leaving the bench area, but they have made adjustments before and in this case they should. If they don’t, then why shouldn’t Pat Burke or Kurt Thomas provoke Tim Duncan into a confrontation or fight in Game 5. This series is about to get real ugly and the league better set a precedent soon. We have seen some flagrant acts get overlooked in a number of series so far without suspensions and to finally suspend two players for doing nothing will ignite the bonfire that’s been building in every semifinal series so far.

If the Spurs are rewarded with these suspensions, Robert Horry will add another clutch moment to his career and the Suns will have to beat a very good San Antonio team in Game 5 without their top scorer. I think that, at best, is wishful thinking and the Suns would have to get a second win in San Antonio to get to the next round.

Good luck!

2. Fuzzy Zoeller

Fuzzy Zoeller Member

Horry stopped being a Rocket in my eyes as soon as he started wearing number 5.

So, no sympathy here. Cheap Shot Bob probably ruined a great series.

3. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

I guess if he got a gun and fired it at Nash's kneecaps and the Spurs won the sereies because of that, we'd see artilces about what a "cluch shot" that was.

4. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

5. Pocket Rockets

personally, i think this is a pathetic article.

its stupid to compare actual game moments vs. an overreaction to a hard playoff foul.

horry did the exact same thing in game 7 of the kiss of death. He shoved majerle at the end of the game with his left shoulder and a normal foul was called.

jrich's foul was worse than horry's. He didnt get suspended so why should horry?

6. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Yeh i don't think he should be suspended, and neither should amare and diaw.

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Yea but he shoved Nash this time, not Majerle.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

and he threw an elbow at Bell.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

hope he gets suspended for the rest of the series.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

its like Spiderman with the black outfit, Horry with the Spurs uni is poisoned by evil aliens. When he was dawning the red rockets uni, it symbolized good and what is right and just.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

too bad it didn't work for Bonzi.

12. Pocket Rockets

what difference does that make?

back then players hardly flopped...now you see it 50 times a game.

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Well, Nash is one of the best players in the league and Majerle was a role player.
    I don't think Robert Horry would strategically take out a role player, but he might try to take out the Suns best player.

14. Pocket Rockets

shouldn't the veteran nash know better than? Dont you think you should have kept his cool? How about amare and diaw?