1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hoops World Rockets Trade Rumors: Asking for the Moon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 30, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Of course, but not every single team has a GM in the press talking about it.

DD

2. Amel

Amel Member

that's good

I wouldn't low-ball with any player within our 8-9 man rotation..

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

People outside of the Rockets fanbase probably wouldn't know who Daryl Morey was if he was standing right in front them holding a sign that says "Im an NBA GM"

The Rockets are contractually obligated to do radio interviews with their radio affiliate 610 Houston Sports. As the highest ranking official he is obligated to give interviews. What's he supposed to say or not say DD to make you happy? The guy never spills the beans, praises his players, and is open and honest about the team needing to improve.

Id rather hear that then hear nothing but have some secret GM out there trading players with no explanation why. I for one, like to hear why he does what he does whether I agree or not. I for one dont think he's in the Press spilling details too much, and wish I could find out more about how the Rockets front office works.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Worse than that, conversely people, DD included (heck myself included) would have trouble naming the GM of 75% of the rest of the league without looking it up...

... much less actually knowing what those other GM's are or aren't saying in the press.

5. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

When I opened this thread I thought we were going after that scrub Jamario Moon.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Since you asked, I think it should be the head coach that does the radio interviews, or at least most of them, and the GM only does ones after big trades etc.

That way, the questions are not so much about the direction of the franchise but rather the direction of the team, because every time someone would ask McHale about trades, he could just say that is above his pay grade.

And the players would not hear their GM talking about upgrading assets all the time.

That is what I would prefer, in all honesty.

DD

7. passdarock

passdarock Member

Asking for the moon and a couple stars. Is that too much to ask for?

8. JoeBarelyCares

Doc's scoop predated the China trip, look it up.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

You know those interviews wouldn't work. It'd turn into either a pointless interview, which 610 might continue since they are occasionally light on substance, or repetitive "above my pay grade" responses, which would become pointless, quickly. And I'm sure 610 would complain.

What you want is no interviews. Which is fine, just say that.

The last thing I want is Kevin McHale on the radio regularly. Dude's got other stuff to be thinking about. DM does, too, of course, but not in the time consuming, daily mental preparation way that McHale does. And the last, last, last thing I want is McHale being asked, repeatedly, about specific players.

10. thething

thething Member

The T-Mac trade got out a few days before it went down.

(The Kevin Martin side of it was unknown at first, but the T-Mac-Jeffries swap was outed.)

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Have to praise DD when he is right and this is the truth. DD you nailed it..the scoop came from the mall not doc rocket or popeye.

Joe Barely cares about the truth.. what a joke going out of way to try to prop up doc rocket for the yao pick? That's so funnny besides the fact he was 7 foot 6 and played center. the bigger scoop would have been us NOT going for ming. I swear some people like to jock people for NO REASON.

Dude everyone knew yao was number #1.. this is how bad info gets passed around.. doc rocket didnt scoop anything..

don nelson was in china talking yao WAAAAYY before that.. go look it up and stop hyping the popcorn guy at toyota center. :rolleyes:

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

I understand that thinking, I really do. However, I remember Feigan saying in his blog that Rick Adelman was adament about not doing interviews especially radio interviews and would not hold obligations to their affiliates for media interviews.

There is a good chance that Morey's Thursday interviews started with him covering for Adelman back a few years ago. I also know for a fact that McHale's personality and willingness to be the voice of the franchise played a role in getting the head coaching job.

I agree that it probably gets tiresome for the players, if they listen to his interviews, to always here the answer, but realize the questions consistently being asked are out of his control. The answer he gives is as good and politically correct as anyone could expect a GM to give.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think it is probably something that Les wants him to do....I still don't like it though.

DD

14. pmac

pmac Member

I think Morey's problem is related to how he gets "steals" either low in the draft or through trade. Sometimes these guys end up being great role players but few of them have the type of upside DM thinks they have. Our rookie that couldn't make the rotation probably has significantly more value than our rookie that is starting. Morey would probably make the point that we have GOOD role players and they are actually worth 2 or 3 times as much as they make. He's right, but many teams would rather trade for guys with all star upside (that could just as easily become busts) and bring in role players through free agency.

The typical reason why we get these guys from low draft picks, that are passed on by many other teams, is that they have less upside. Generally, they lack athleticism or size. I'm not sure if we go away from that seeing as how we've taken on more athletic upside players only to have that blow up in our face.

Still, I can't knock the strategy. Chuck is the most significant talent we've seen walk in free agency under DM, that's pretty good. It seems like he's rotating in young talent and getting value for the veterans that he trades away.

15. durvasa

durvasa Member

If we do end up trading them, I'll be very disappointed if MadMax doesn't chime in on whether or not they were able to obtain the "moon".

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I totally agree, that we have been picking safely for the last few years...getting Patterson, getting Morris....etc.....

And avoiding taking flyers on people like D. Jordan etc.....but this year I was so proud of Morey for taking D-Mo....finally a risky big guy with upside potential.

YEAH !

DD

17. pmac

pmac Member

And you know we would have probably had him on one of those 4 year cheapo 2nd rounder deals. Imagine having Jordan for under $2M right now!

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It's just as stupid to believe Courtney Lee would tweet you the truth about wanting to be traded.

19. xiki

xiki Member

Street cred to the DDster on this.

20. xiki

xiki Member

Recall Blazers axing Pritchard primarily for his public voice? Kupchak does radio in LA.

Owner Alexander was continually peeved at JVG because he wouldn't do the "PR", and RA's exit was paved, in many regards, similarly. So, where are those two today?