1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HoopChina]Carl's agent: Landry wanna come back to the Rockets next year..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCity3, Aug 2, 2010.

1. worzel gummidge

Unless his agency is trying to get the Rockets fined for tampering. I'd take a wild stab and guess that they're just giving the rights answers when in China.

2. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

3. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

4. worzel gummidge

After all these seasons in Houston his english is pretty terrible. I guess he keeps to himself or hasn't mingled with the locals as much.

5. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

tampering?? :grin:

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I disagree. His English has noticeably improved over the years. Don't forget that Yao almost never spoke English in public his first couple of years. He hasn't needed an interpreter in years. Sure his accent is thick, but so was Hakeem's.

Yao's just not a going-out sort of dude. What's he gonna do, squeeze his huge ass into a movie theater seat? On crutches? I don't think he goes out when he's in China, either. He'd be mobbed.

8. bloop

bloop Member

His English is fine. And learn to read, the snippet you quoted says Yao lived in gyms his entire life. Has nothing to do with "locals" he was living in a gym in China where they speak Chinese because that's the kind of work ethic he has whether he's here or in Shanghai

9. PeppermintCandy

I'd love to have Landry back, but he'll be too expensive for the backup PF spot. Plus, we've already got Patterson as his replacement.

Landry's future in Sacramento depends on if Cousins can play center and if Landry's game meshes with Cousins's. If it works out, the Kings won't want to part ways with Carl and he won't want to leave.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yao's English is really good, especially considering that a lot of what he says is for public consumption, so he has to be very careful about how he says it. People who start learning a foreign language after the age of 10-13 almost always speak with a heavy accent. It takes years of work to get rid rid of it.

11. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vv-2MZ1ZLrE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vv-2MZ1ZLrE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yao! I didn't know you were on Clutchfans!

13. napalm06

I learned portuguese in my late teens living in Brazil, and while I still have an American accent it isn't hard at all to understand.

I think the Chinese-English bridge is much harder to cross though.

14. MadMax4life

MadMax4life Member

Landry did not say it... his "Agent" did

15. napalm06

Hmm.. those are interesting questions.

16. pennymak

pennymak Member

I was shocked too when I saw the report on SOHU. But just calm down, dont take too serious about what the NBA players says when they are coming for commercial activity. Its their job to make the fans happy.

You see how many NBA players coming to China this summer?
    D Howard, Jason Kidd, Battier, Kobe, KG, Nash, Brooks, Carl, Artest....blah blah blah....

What is the most frequent-asking question by reporter? Its " Will you consider playing in CBA (Chinese B-ball league) in future?"
    And all answering "Yes". Then the newspaper title next day will be "XXX will play in CBA". As a Rocket Fan from chinese, I feel so tiring with those reports

17. pennymak

pennymak Member

:grin:
    The chinese reporters have implied this message in the past articles many time.
    I remember a report about Rocket's Party for season ticket holder (year 2009 ?). Reporter said Brooks took his girl to the party while Carl took his "Closed Friend" to come. The pic showed Carl was so sweet with his fd..

18. AXG

AXG Member

I wouldn't mind bringing Landry back. He played really well his final half-season with the team but other teams would be able to offer more than the Rockets.

19. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Not likely to happen, because Landry is due a major pay raise, but if there is a way to make it work I don't think there is a single Rockets fan that would not gladly welcome Landry back.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....you know I never really thought about it, but it's funny to think that the two best players Houston has had over the last 25 years have both been foreigners playing a very American sport.