1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hook 'em horns?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by QdoubleA, Nov 17, 2010.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Haha no I don't drink, but some of my friends did get caught.

2. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

The fact that you automatically thought of the athletics program when no one mentioned it before shows, as Donny said, how important it is. A lot of undergrads choose their university based on how often they hear its name (leading them to think it's better, for whatever reason). I worked for the admissions office at UH for a few years and a ton of questions were directed towards not how good our business college was, but what conference our teams played in. Will I cheer for the football team now? Sure, but I was directing my post more towards the experience as a whole.

3. YaosDirtyStache

EVERYTHING you said in your earlier post had everything to do with sports man. Infact the line "Am I really supposed to cheer for the Longhorns?" Denotes purely athletics...unless you are the kind of guy who cheers your professor on while he administers a test.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

UT easily.

You can be a T-shirt UH fan if there is such thing?

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should be loyal to your undergrad, UH, because your undergrad experience is usually more formative to your life than your grad school experience. As an undergrad you should be out there in the student section painting yourself team colors and yelling your head off but that's not something you should be doing as a grad student.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well put. Undergrad should be your true #1.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I did the same thing, only up here in Dallas. They have MBA programs in Houston and Dallas now, and I assume that's what you're joining as well. You spend one week before the start of each Fall Semester on-campus at UT. That right there should qualify you as a Longhorn. You also get a UT (Austin) ID card, access to the student sports package, and even the same professors as the students who are on-campus.

In every sense of the word, you are a Longhorn. I didn't go to UT for my undergrad degree, but the pain of watching them lose the title game last year and getting run this year further cements my membership in Longhorn nation.

Hook 'em!

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Well. My "true" undergrad experience was at a Div III school in West Texas where I remained the Longhorn fan I have always been. This didn't conflict because I went to such a small school. (I chose the school that I went to because they gave me money, but I got into UT, so there's a connection in that.)

My second undergrad degree was 10+ years later, going to OU for nursing school. The Health Sciences Center is in OKC, and I was at a satellite campus in another town altogether. Even my graduation was in OKC and not in Norman. To date, I've been to Norman exactly once in my life and it was for the express purpose of attending an OU football game.

So, I don't think of myself as 'betraying my undergrad experience' by continuing to be a Longhorn/UT fan. In fact, as silly as it sounds, if I choose to get a graduate nursing degree, I'd want it from UT just so I could FINALLY cheer 100% for a school I actually attended.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Start buying some orange shirts.

10. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I represented UT while I was in grad school (different city, different university). Most of the grad students there wore their respective undergrad garb too.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol....

Rice students don't care about sports, and we still whipped you guys in football.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Then I read your sig. Nice KYOA.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the basketball team is well coached.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Welcome to ATX! Much better than Houston, and you'll find that people here are less r****ded.

15. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

The University of Texas at Austin is one of the largest public universities in the United States and consistently ranks among the finest institutions of higher education on the planet. It has one of the nation's largest library systems, world-class art museums, and a Gutenberg Bible. It is the largest employer in Austin and one of the largest in the state, generating $6 billion in business activity annually, all of which is well and good. But as much or more than anything, UT is about one thing: Longhorn football.

Hook 'em.

16. Chopped

Chopped Member

17. liljojo

liljojo Member

Really? I hate it when UH fans try to hate on Texas. You have a respectable school with respectable teams. You are not a rival of Texas. Stop trying so hard to become one.

18. University Blue

There is also the Bohemian, beat, West Mall, Hyde Park crowd, too. Athletics and the counter-culture crowd are what separate UT from any other university in the South, maybe the galaxy.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

You do realize that pretty much every school that isn't affiliated with the UT system has several billion reasons to dislike UT that go WAY beyond sports, right?

P.S. bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5562321&postcount=51

#39 DonnyMost, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why you have to bring in Manchester United into this?!?!? :confused:

Dude, Chicharito Hernandez would run circles around your defense... AND score and pick up all your slutty longhorn chicks in broad daylight... and he would be loved and leave people wanting more Manchester United. :eek: