1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hong Kong Protests #OccupyCentral

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I scanned the D&D a couple of times but don't think anyone's started a thread yet, which is weird because this is today's biggest news by far.

Here's what's up:

(TWO IMAGES SPOILERED FOR SIZE)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lots of figures thrown around, but it seems to be in the tens of thousands of people.

Police are wearing riot gear, shooting tear gas directly at protestors. No tanks yet.

This a civil disobedience protest. Supposed to be totally peaceful, but as always there are some bad apples and of course there are always paid actors to instigate violence.

Looks a lot like Ferguson right now.

http://www.thenational.ae/world/eas...e-tear-gas-as-pro-democracy-protests-escalate

Apparently so far 38 hurt. I imagine the protest will be crushed shortly.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

How about now?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a bit different.

5. hlcc

hlcc Member

I find it funny that the articles always mention how much political freedom & power Hong Kong enjoyed while under British rule.

The British didn't start initiating some kind of democratic reforms that finally gave the people of Hong Kong some actual political powers until the final years of their colonial rule,,, when they knew they were gonna be gone soon. Under British rule, the people of Hong Kong never had any say regarding who'll become the chief executive (Governor of Hong Kong).

6. Bandwagoner

Based on the kung fu movies I have seen, the British leaders were corrupt jerks. It is odd that yours is the only decent comment (including mine :( ) on the entire forum about a huge news story.

7. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

That is what happens when you bring an umbrella to a water gun fight. Looks like fun. I wish Houston would have a citizen vs. police super soaker battle. I would go.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, till you find out it was actually battery acid.

[​IMG]

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lol I know right, I'm pretty sure they rioted against the British Colonial rulers multiple times much much before the handover took place.

I'm not quite educated on the subject, what are the changes to economic and political policies that China made to Hong Kong after the takeover that makes people so mad. I still think Hong Kong is one of the most prosperous and advanced cities in world.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you fight someone swinging your arms like a mantis, you will win

11. Bandwagoner

It is just the slow influx of the crap communist government changes that they are seeing in their daily lives. The patriotic education brainwashing is being introduced to students for one thing.

When you see the arrow start to point down it will piss people off.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone who's visited Hong Kong, knows that they are treated differently than the 'mainlanders' same with Macau. It would make sense that they are pissed off.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Is this actually true about the education? somehow I doubt that actually happens or we would've heard more of an uproar. I think it's more of an influx of mainlanders that pisses them off, I find that people in Hong Kong really do not like mainlanders, almost like Americans to Mexicans

14. Bandwagoner

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/w...riculum-plans-for-hong-kong-schools.html?_r=0

http://world.time.com/2012/07/30/hong-kong-divided-over-plans-for-patriotic-lessons-in-schools/

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Does everyone in Hong Kong wear their backpacks backwards?

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

All I know is I was in Hong Kong in May and it's a great city. Met some cool people to : )

17. hlcc

hlcc Member

The small changes pushed by Beijing is definitely one of the causes, some other important causes are probably
    - the decreased importance of Hong Kong as an entry point to China.
    - the influx of mainland tourists and immigrants.
    - the diminishing wealth gap between the mainland and Hong Kong. Hong Konger definitely have a severe superiority complex when looking at the mainlanders, but now are finding out the millions of mainland tourists are some how richer than them. (even though mainland China on average is much poorer than Hong Kong but just because of the large population there's well over 100 million people in the mainland with annual income that's on par or higher than that of an average Hong Konger.)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-16941652

18. g1184

g1184 Member

this stuff too (link):
    Beijing is trying to screen political candidates for Hong Kong, and the people aren't having it.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Initially under British rule Hong Kong was ruled under essentially an apartheid system where parts of the territory were reserved for only for British (white) people and Chinese were barred from. While this system ended later on for much of Hong Kong history it was a stratified society between British and wealthy Chinese while much of Hong Kong lived in poverty and overcrowded conditions. In the 1960's there were riots by many poorer people in Hong Kong over these.

As other posters have noted under the treaty Hong Kong was supposed to be able to pick their own leaders. This has pretty much never been the case and the PRC has had final say on Hong Kong's rulers. Even though there has been elections the PRC has said that they can reject those results.

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's amazingly consistent how the British shat in every colony just before they left.