1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honest Question... What would you do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, in my late teen years, my in laws helped me out a lot. Without them, my life would have a much different path. Whether I'd be as successful as I am now, I don't know, but it'd be much different.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm kind of at the point to where I can pay them back. My idea is to take them on a trip of some kind, as I like to travel, and they don't have the cash to travel much. Neither has been out of the country before, so my idea is to do something of that nature.

I've been to the Caribbean many times, and I figured doing an all-inclusive of some type would be the best bang for the buck for them.

Problem is, my mother in law is putting up a fight about it. I get the feeling she doesn't want to go out of the country. I also get the feeling that she feels other countries are inferior to the US, and that is part of the reason.

She's trying to sell me on Clearwater Beach, and I said no, basically, because I want this trip to be a memorable one for them, and I feel Florida is not what I want this trip to be. She then cites not having to get a passport if we go to Florida. I told her I'd pay for her passport.

So, now she cites safety. I tell her that in the many times we've been, we've never had safety issues, and many of the resort areas are safer than a lot of US cities (especially Cozumel, which is my favorite, and where I'd like to take them, honestly). She kind of tosses that aside.

We offered a cruise, as they technically wouldn't need a passport. She said that she is afraid of getting sea sick, and if she did, she'd be getting off at the first stop and not getting back on.

I'm kind of at my wit's end here. Not sure what to do.

My father in law, for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure is fine with going anywhere. He said he just wants a nice beach and to relax. Also, my mother in law isn't a beach type person. She gets her way so often, though, I'm not really wanting to give in to that, and I've told her that my goal is to get her out of her comfort zone with this trip.

My wife doesn't really care what we do. The whole thing is my idea, and I'm paying for it, and she just wants me to handle it without stressing her out.

Sorry for the long, rambling message, just looking for advice/wanting to rant.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Impose your will.
    Jk. Personally the fighting wouldnt be worth it for me. I'd just give in and do whatever because it might ruin your travel otherwise. Either that or find another way to pay them back.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Puerto Rico

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Create a powerpoint presentation and show her all the facts about her doubts. If she still says no. LEAVER HER AT HOME!

5. Two Sandwiches

Wouldn't mind it, but I don't think there's any chance she'd go.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think you're gonna have to give in.

7. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

if you're sincerely doing this out of appreciation, let them decide.

8. Two Sandwiches

It seems like neither one knows where their birth certificate is, so I sent them info on how to get them. Then, once they get them, I offered to pay for their passports. Only problem is that I can't force them to get their passports.

I'd love to just force them to go to Cozumel. It's a place my wife and I have been twice. We were actually just there in February. Stayed at a great all inclusive. I love it there.

I think they're afraid to go because, like a lot of people, they hear Mexico and get afraid. Never mind that it's safer there than the town they live in.

I think the most likely scenario, unless they cave, is that they just sit this one out, my wife and I go somewhere nice, and then in the future, we'll do a summer trip to Yellowstone or Maine. Both places I know they'd like to go.

It just bewilders me how I'm trying to do absolutely everything I can to make it as easy and cheap as possible for them to have a pretty unforgettable vacation, and I'm basically being told no thanks.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What about the Virgin Islands?

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Maybe she is a former CIA agent who is worried that someone abroad is out to get her and therefore only feels safe within the USA? :)

Seriously, it's a very nice idea of yours to do this for them. Shows you are a good guy. Hopefully you can convince your mother-in-law.

11. Buck Turgidson

So basically you're hellbent on showing them appreciation by making them go somewhere and do something they don't want to go to and do?

Why is it such a big deal to you? Take them wherever they want to go, and enjoy it. It's not about you, or maybe it is and that's the problem.

12. Two Sandwiches

This is what I'm in the fence about.

I want them to decide. I made up a list of like twelve highly rated all inclusives, and was going to make a separate list of cruises, and just tell them to pick one. And then the Florida thing happened.

Yes, I want them to pick. I also want to take them out of their comfort zone a bit. Also, my father in law doesn't get to voice his opinion often, and sometimes is hesitant to. So I'm not sure if I can totally get his honest choice.

At the same time, I don't want to spend a ton of money on a trip that I feel would be a bit of a disappointment. I want them to have absolutely as good a time as possible. I may never be able to do this for them again, and I feel like if we go to Tampa, that's not really an adventure.

I don't know how that comes across, but I just want them to have the best time possible.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Nice thought. Seriously though, who doesn't want to see what's out there?

14. Two Sandwiches

Its something I've looked into. Not totally sure how it'd work out price wise. I think I'd be okay, but it'd be pushing close to the budget.

Another idea I had, that I think they were okay with, was Ireland. Kind of in the same boat as the USVI.

I'd be okay with it, and I think it'd work, but my wife is worried more about budget than me.

#14 Two Sandwiches, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

To be honest this just sounds like a battle between two people who think they know what's best for the other.

Compromise! Somehow.

16. Two Sandwiches

It could be that I'm the problem, too. Or at least a big part of it. That's part of the reason why I'm looking for opinions.

Maybe I need to hear ten people tell me I'm not being flexible enough, and that'll finally get it through my thick skull.

#16 Two Sandwiches, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It sounds genuine and sincere. Sometimes people's own snow globes are the only thing they want to know.

I second the US Virgin Islands. Maybe the US in the title will help her cope with some of her issues and fiscally low enough for yours.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does she know its part of the US? They us dollars and speak English

19. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

The majority of our country.

20. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

What about renting a cabin somewhere on the outskirts of Vancouver?

The St Regis in Puerto Rico is another great option, albeit pricey if you don't have any Starwood points.