1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honest Politicians? What on Earth are those?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Nick_713, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Don't continue to embarrass yourself. Just let it go that you made a fool of yourself, there's no reason to keep bringing up your ignorance.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

nice list (don't know Gregg or Platts)

I think the fact that politicians are lawyers and lawyer are taught to advocate a position regardless of their personal beliefs leads to dishonesty in politics. The candidates are constructed for appeal to the broadest electorate they can be spread to. They need money from fatcats to get votes from the everyman setting up a basic conflict. They are walking the line of appeasing everyone and offending no one. You just cannot do that with honesty or specifics.

I think the only thing Bernie is dishonest about is that he doesn't really expect to achieve half of what he proposes but uses his positions to advocate a direction government should go. Saying "we will" instead of "we Should".

#22 Dubious, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I get ticked off seeing fan boys worship their chosen candidate as infallible bastions of truth and integrity. These concepts and politics just don't mix. Even the so-called truth tellers tell whopper lies regularly on the campaign trail - whether it's about how trade agreements destroyed Michigan's economy, all public schools will be free or *pssst* that guy is about to drop out so vote for me.

Liars,the whole lot of them. That is part of the territory. Unfortunately most voters have little to no reasoning ability in times like these, so we deal in the currency of hysteria.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is more a fascination at the denial bubble he lives in. He calls politifact "talking points", or rather, he calls the FBI's own statement that they are not directing an investigation at Clinton to be a "talking point" and he insists they are.

Now, it would be one thing to say that they are keeping their cards close to their chest, but it's another to go out and talk about how Clinton is actually "under investigation".

I am just probing to see how he deals with the reality of his position, in this case, it is to dismiss the facts as "talking points" and go on an ad hominem attack. Doesn't surprise me that he is unaware of many of the logical fallacies as he is not a logically minded person.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see that, at least with Cruz. Cruz has gotten called a liar for a number of dirty tricks in this campaign: saying Ben Carson dropped out when he hadn't, when he cited evidence against global warming, when he said his support for immigration reform was a poison pill ("is he lying now or was he lying then?").

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Now the funny thing about politicians, even (and maybe especially) those who claim to be "outsiders", is that you can publicly call them a pathological liar and a child molester and they'll still endorse you and wax poetic about how awesome you are if you buy them off.

7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I honestly like Kasich the most out of all the candidates democrat or repub. And I'm not a republican in the least. I like Bernie too just cuz he's not a scumbag

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Cruz is honest....?

Come on man.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Too absolutist and hyperbolic to be meaningfully accurate. Politicians enjoy power and public stature, they're also prideful and contentious by nature; and probably wouldn't cotton to public slander or naked invective without a fight. Some are also often popular and entrenched enough that campaign contributions, the most meaningful type of "buy-offs," are readily available without any distinct departure from their constituents' economic or social biases, or their own political philosophy.

10. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Finding an honest politician is nearly as hard as looking for a needle in a haystack...

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

In this election you gotta Feel The Bern if you want honesty. Go watch any of his youtube speeches, it's as honest as you'll ever see in Washington.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honesty seems to have little place in American Politics

An Honest Politician is an UNELECTABLE POLITICIAN!

Rocket River