1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Home Surveillance] Help with Remote Viewing IP Cameras

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by alexcapone, Jan 9, 2017.

1. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I had a home surveillance system set up a while back and it was working perfectly but ever since I switched from Comcast to Windstream I have been having trouble. With Comcast I had a static IP and could just put the external IP address in my web browser to view my cameras remotely. With Windstream I have a dynamic IP address so I cannot just put in the fixed IP into my web browser to view my cameras.

I tried setting up a DDNS server but it seems that only works about 25% of the time. I suspect it’s because Windstream blocks ports that my DVR requires in order to view remotely. I called Windstream tech support and they also said this was likely the reason. I requested a quote for a static IP and they said it was $20/month which I found to be outrageous.

Does anyone have any experience/solutions for this? My last resort will be to wait it out and switch back to Comcast but trying to see if there was any other option that would allow me to stay with Windstream. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Let me first berate you for even switching to Windstream. Terrible company.

All we have here is Windstream and the problems are endless. I dont say that to be condescending, but to state troubleshooting problems like this can be very difficult with them. I never had any problems with DDNS with them, but again, with them you never know.

You can try to DMZ (if there is the option) your DVR/NVR or try to set the modem into some bridge mode to an internal router. Also Windstream modems were notorious for resetting back to default settings and deleting out port forwards.

3. Nook

Nook Member

We are talking about Comcast...... possiblt the shittiest company on the planet.

4. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Thanks for your response. I wish there was a sure fire fix for this. I don't know enough about networking to troubleshoot this crap. Do you know of any networking guys that can take a look at it?

The reason I switched was because I was paying Comcast for 50/mbps dl speed and I was downloading at like 5/mbps. I am getting a much better download speed with Windstream.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The Xfinity platform blows Direct TV away and their internet is killer. They just gave me another 100 down a month for free, and I'm not even on a contract. No issues at all with them, but did have to call once after install and was on the phone with a person in 'Murca in 3 minutes who fixed my issue quickly. We're kinda screwed here if we don't want an ugly ass dish on our roof and want cable. Xfinity or the shittiest of them all, U-Verse. 8 months of happy with Comcast Xfinity so far.

6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member