1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Security Solutions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Louka, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I just moved into the galleria area with my fiance and I'm trying to figure out what the best solution is for security. We purchased a condo, thus we have neighbors, but we do not have gated security or a guard or anything like that.

Parameters: No land-line, no dog, wireless

My current ideas consist of:

1) Purchase an alarm system that is not monitored by an alarm company nor will it be able to make calls without a land-line. All it will do is set the siren off which might be enough since there are plenty of neighbors.
    • Starter kit with necessary sensors ($250)

2) Have a land-line installed and get a home security company to monitor my system like normal people do.

• ADT promo installation ($99)
    • Service ($35/mo)
    • Comcast land-line ($15/mo)
    • 2 year contract

3) Use a home security company that has gsm capabilities (no land-line required)

• Installation ($550)
    • Service ($33/mo)

4) Take courses and get certified to carry (I am not opposed to this since I don't have any children atm)

Right now I am leaning towards a combination of #1 and #4. Ideally I would have liked to make #3 work, but that seems to be the most expensive. I can afford it, but I don't like feeling ripped off. I hope some of you can point me in the right direction. What has been your experience?

2. Louka

^^ Also requires a 2-year contract

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Call Smith Thompson and save yourself a lot of money.

You're welcome.

Edit: If you would, please PM me for a referral if you decide to go with them. :)

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

put a picture of two eyes on your door. i know it deters food thieves at work. that's all i got.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Normally we'd come into a thread like this to give you those options, but you already have them covered. I think only you can really decide at this point.

You have to ask yourself:

How much do you trust neighbors?

How much crime is in your area/complex?

Financial situation?

How replaceable are your valuables?

what's your schedule like? can you get home quickly?

and so on..

6. Louka

Thanks for the advice. Not much value inside the home. I only want to make sure we are safe. I don't work close to home. The area we are in is pretty nice but since we are closer to city life, crime rates can be high. We have lived in the suburbs until now so we don't want anything to take us by surprise.

In any case, I gave Smith Thompson a call and they were extremely helpful. It looks like I might be able to get option 3 to work after all. Thanks JeorpardE

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If you're tech-savvy, you can buy and install the kit yourself and use your PC to monitor/set stuff from remote locations. I've spoken to peeps who have done this in the IT world. :eek:

8. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I have heard good things about Smith-Thompson. No contract, less than $20/month.

For security, make it difficult to break in.

1) Reinforce your doors. This just means good deadbolts/strike plates and long screws in place of the short ones (includes door jamb strike plate and hinge screws). Most break-ins are through kicking in an entry door, and it is extremely easy to do.

2) Get security storm doors that have laminated glass and multi-point locking systems from Larson called Secure Elegance. They are not ugly, and you can still open your door to talk to visitors but still have a barrier in case they try to rush in.

3) Keep your windows and doors locked - even the door that enters into the garage. For sliding windows, put a dowel rod in the track when you want it closed. There doesn't seem to be an economical way to prevent breaking a window, so try to get glass break sensors installed in addition to having sensors on every door/window. Sliding patio windows/doors are also a weak point. I don't know very good solutions to those.

4) If you do proceed with a CHL class, don't just stop there. Please get additional training and practice regularly, and make sure to secure your weapons. This is probably the most expensive and time consuming option.

9. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

A good tip, be sure that you don't have a lot of tools or ladders or anything like that laying around the outside of your house that would make it easier for a burglar to get in.

10. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

I got the idea of Smith Thompson from a thread I started here. I have it and so do the inlaws. In Houston/Dallas the only way to go. All wireless reasonable and awesome customer service.

11. Louka

Thanks Mack for the helpful tips. I wouldn't have considered some of those things otherwise.

My deadbolt does seem outdated so I'll start with that. I'll look into the storm doors and windows as well.

I don't think the sales person I spoke to with Smith Thompson mentioned a glass breakage sensor, but he did mention motion sensors. I figure one or the other would suffice.

I don't plan on purchasing a weapon after all. My fiance is uncomfortable with guns. However, her father and my brother will be taking me to the shooting range and hunting so it's a start should I decide to purchase later on.

12. jocar

jocar Member

A class 3 license will cost around $200, then you're good to go.

[​IMG]

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I use these guys: www.simplisafe.com

I have no clue why anybody would use anything else.

If anyone goes this route, please let me know/email me through the board. I am happy to refer you. You get 5% discount on order, I get one month free service.